PDA

View Full Version : 1940's Craftsman scroll saw follow up

Gordon Davis
08-13-2009, 3:24 PM
Here are some pictures of scroll saw I refurbished.I have to make a base for it also,thats later.I have about 25 + pictures showing each step will try and put on photobucket later.:)

Gary Lange
08-13-2009, 3:29 PM
That looks real nice. I have a 1950's one that is very similar to the one you have. This is a picture from before I cleaned it up and repainted it.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/CraftsmanJigsaw-2.jpg

Bill White
08-13-2009, 4:13 PM
Well done Gordon. Bet that puppy weighs a ton. Is it a solid as it looks?
Bill

george wilson
08-13-2009, 4:31 PM
Probably has pot metal interior parts.It looks like a Delta,which has them. The pot metal part that makes the blade go up and down on a Delta is very prone to breaking.

If yours stops reciprocating,it is not impossible to remake the part in steel. I showed a young guy I knew how to use my milling machine enough so he made a replacement part out of steel.

Let me know if it breaks down,Gordon. Other than that,those old saws are nine,because the blades go straight up and down,unlike the new Hegners and other walking beam types where the blade travels in an arc,and goes in and out,making small inlays hard to make.

Roy Wall
08-13-2009, 4:46 PM
Gordon --

Very nice resto -- great job. I have the same same model / year as well as a 38' Craftsman Scrollie that's got a more 'rounded' look.

I believe mine to be original paint and it is a dark gray. The 38' is the classic 'craftsman blue'. I will restore both of them and was thinking of keeping the stock colors.....but I like the silver you've put on.

Please do post your photobucket images -- I'd like to see the play by play. Nice sewn apron around the lower spindle!

Well done Gordon. Bet that puppy weighs a ton. Is it a solid as it looks?
Bill

Bill - yes.....they are very solid and heavy :cool:.

Gordon Davis
08-13-2009, 9:38 PM
Thank you all, yes it is heavy 100+lbs and solid no pot metal here.:)

george wilson
08-13-2009, 9:41 PM
Have you looked at the interior parts? It looks a lot like it could have been a rebadged Delta product. I'm not trying to run your saw down,just warning of possible trouble,and even offering to help.

scott clary
08-14-2009, 8:39 AM
Gordon,
Great work on the saw. Have you tried cutting with it yet? I seem to have difficulty tensioning the blades correctly, maybe the spring on mine is weak.
Scott

Fred Hargis
08-14-2009, 8:52 AM
It looks exactly like my 103.0404...but mine isn't nearly as nice (someday, maybe). It's made by King Seeley and is a fantastic saw. Where did you get that boot on the lower shaft? Really looks nice, is that a fabricated motor mount, or the original? I'm missing mine, along with the presser foot.

Gordon Davis
08-14-2009, 1:20 PM
Again thanks , I made the sock from some kevlar pieces I had around. As far as I can tell all craftsman. I will try and post on photobucket for clear details.I think I have more fun finding and restoring then woodworking lately.Always a new hobby around the corner. :)

Fred Hargis
08-14-2009, 1:26 PM
Lest I was confusing with my statement....King Seeley made that saw for Craftsman, they were later bought out by Emerson Electric, who continued to make the same tools for a short time on the King Seeley equipment. I have one C'Man scroll saw that's an Emerson product, and went to look at another old C'man advertised on CL. It was an identical saw to my Emerson, but had the King Seeley model number (the 103 prefix).

Tom Clark FL
08-14-2009, 4:29 PM
Love the old iron! Just wondering if anyone knows the age of this jig saw? It says Delta in one place, and Milwaukee in another in the casting. It uses regular jig saw blades, and the top is a ball bearing support for the blade.

I've had it for about 15-20 years, and it was old then.

scott clary
08-14-2009, 4:53 PM
Go to OWWM.com their you will find a lot about your saw and people to help you with it.

Gary Lange
08-14-2009, 7:18 PM
That other picture of the Jig Saw I posted was before it got tuned up and cleaned up. Here are some new photo's of it now. I had been using it so had to dust it off first.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/Jigsaw-1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/JigSaw-2.jpg

It works like a champ now and I suspect will serve me well for a long time. Sometimes the old iron is well worth some elbow grease.

Stephen Musial
08-14-2009, 7:35 PM
Get the model numbers off that red tag and do some poking around here: http://owwm.com/

george wilson
08-14-2009, 7:42 PM
The old saws are nicer than the new ones because their blades go straight up and down. All the newer saws are a walking beam motion,where the blade also tilts in and out as it goes up and down. This makes the blade "sand" the sides of things like small pieces of inlay annoyingly. I have a $1200.00 Hegner that I got cheap. I need to sell it,and get an old Delta and fix it up. I hardly ever use a jigsaw,though. Generally,I have used a jeweler's saw. Now that I have a lot of neck pain,I should start using a jigsaw for inlays.If I did,I'd make up a variable speed motor so I could run it VERY SLOW to get the accuracy I can get by hand sawing. A pedal like a sewing machine would be nice for controlling speed.