PDA

View Full Version : we need to help Mark Norman save his "BEAST"

curtis rosche
08-13-2009, 1:20 PM
some of you have already read the thread where Mark is selling his monster lathe over in the classifieds. but i know that there are a lot of you out there who only read this section of the site. so. here my idea of what we could do to help Mark save his beast.

if anyone has anyother ideas, feel free to add them

we could ship it around the counrty. it would stopp at different turners houses around the country. put the lathe on a trailer. then drive it to the closest turner near you. they pay say,,$20? to turn as much as they want on it, up to like a week or two. then that person drives it to the next nearest person. then there will be no shipping charge other than the trailer to start. since each person would transport the trailer every one would pay for their own gas.
the money would go to Mark to pay for the lathe, and it could be payed ahead of time so that he would have to money now instead of spread out.

then after it has made its trip around the country, and been signed by all the SMC turners that want to, it would be returned to its home in "Gods country: Mariposa CA" for mark to use. then he will get the money he needs and wont have to truely part with his beast.

Mike Minto
08-13-2009, 1:44 PM
do i hear the soundtrack from 'the twilight zone'?

Norm Zax
08-13-2009, 2:44 PM
Idea and cause are beautiful. How would one turn? On the trailer? Most people do not have the facility to unload such a weight.

Harvey Mushman
08-13-2009, 3:40 PM
A reminder to everyone....DO NOT SMOKE CRACK!

curtis rosche
08-13-2009, 4:40 PM
it would stay bolted to the trailer. then there couldnt be an "oops i dropped it"

Steve Kubien
08-13-2009, 8:08 PM
Thank you Harvey

Mark Norman
08-13-2009, 8:47 PM
But I don't think the idea will fly.

If anyone is interested in buying it that would be great or if you belong to a turners club then that may be an option for the club to make the purchase and share it amongst the members.

If someone was interested in buying it I could work out a deal to have the ways welded up by a master welder friend of mine but I don't want to commit to doing so without having a tailstock in hand so as to make sure it fits proper like.

I would love to keep it, but I am afraid I won't have room for it in the not too distant future..

Thanks again Curtis <please put down the crack pipe;) LOL LOL>

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Curtis I don't think the turner nearest me is going to drive pulling a trailer and lathe on it 400 miles and I sure ain't driving it to the next turner 8 1/2 hrs away. Now if you are doing all the driving, pulling it aound the country from turner to turner then I would buy that.

Rich Stewart
08-14-2009, 1:00 PM
You are a good person, Curtis. Don't ever change.