PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Motor Help...

Joe Scarfo
08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I've got a platinum edition uni I bought back in '02 or so. The motor has died. the motor shop can confirm the windings are good.

For a miryad of reasons, the starting cap and the running cap have been lost.

I've contacted delta for teh cap info and the wiring diagram for the caps. They can't give it and neither will emerson.

Uni Model nbr is 36-941
Motor has delta model 86-654
Emerson Ref Number T63BZF-1157

If anyone has a platinum edition uni and could get for me the specs on the caps and tell me the color wires for what pins on teh cap......

I WOULD BE INCREDIBLY GRATEFUL...

And I'm willing to pay for the time to do this...

If I can't get this info, I'm not sure if the shop can get the motor working again.. a new one is about $800.... yeeeeesh...

tks
Joe

Alex Shanku
08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
a new one is about $800....

LOL!!! Are the winding gold and not copper on that 800 dollar motor!!!!

What HP is the motor in question, btw?

Joe Scarfo
08-13-2009, 6:31 PM
3 hp 1ph.. 3450 rpm i believe...

David Christopher
08-13-2009, 7:34 PM
Joe, the motor on the Grizzly 1023 will fit on the unisaw...I bought a 5HP from them and it is a direct bolt on

Chip Lindley
08-13-2009, 7:51 PM
I would look at a Leeson retrofit motor for the Uni before I spent on a Griz. Ebay prices a *4hp* 17.6A Leeson for the Uni at $339.99 + $27.38 shipping. Delta would be my LAST choice! Especially for another Emerson motor.

You say you had a motor shop determine the windings of your motor are good! Why didn't you just get it repaired?? A decent motor shop can get the motor going again. Repairing it will be much cheaper than another motor.

Capacitors for a motor of a given voltage/amperage are pretty general. If you have the bad capacitors, their values should be printed on the can.

The other part of a single-phase motor besides windings and caps to consider is the centrifugal start winding contacts. Dunno why these would go out, but they may be burnt *closed*, or stuck *open*. Disassembly of the motor will discover this.

Jeff Willard
08-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I remember seeing Baldor replacements for the Unisaw somewhere, just can't remember where. Possibly Grizzly? Nope. Just checked-but I did find Leeson replacements.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=Electric+Motors&mkt=en-US&FORM=BPX2

Found a Baldor too.

http://www.plazamachinery.com/index.html

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I would look at a Leeson retrofit motor for the Uni before I spent on a Griz. Ebay prices a *4hp* 17.6A Leeson for the Uni at $339.99 + $27.38 shipping. Delta would be my LAST choice! Especially for another Emerson motor.

You say you had a motor shop determine the windings of your motor are good! Why didn't you just get it repaired?? A decent motor shop can get the motor going again. Repairing it will be much cheaper than another motor.

Capacitors for a motor of a given voltage/amperage are pretty general. If you have the bad capacitors, their values should be printed on the can.

The other part of a single-phase motor besides windings and caps to consider is the centrifugal start winding contacts. Dunno why these would go out, but they may be burnt *closed*, or stuck *open*. Disassembly of the motor will discover this.You missed the part about the capacitors being missing. that is what he is looking for. Delta has used Emerson, Marathon, Leeson, and WEG motors over the years. I can't remember what brand it was but I was surprised that Emerson actually made of a certain brand of motors. May have been Century.

Chip Lindley
08-15-2009, 12:08 PM
To make up for my oversight, I took a look at my Leeson 3hp Unisaw motor. (16A/230V) The larger black phenolic cap. (start?) is 216-259 mfd/250V. The smaller metal jacketed cap. (run?) is 25uf/370V.

C'mon guys! Give this guy the mfd. values off your Emerson 3hp! Get him running!

But...an electric motor shop should be able to figure out the cap. values for any given motor, install them and guarantee the motor ok to operate. After all, that's their area of expertise, and they charge for it!

Joe Scarfo
08-17-2009, 11:28 AM
The problem has been fixed... thanks to everyone for all your help...

GAWD it's nice having the saw working agian...

Joe