PDA

View Full Version : Sharpen or buy new knives for Delta 13" planer 22-580

Greg L. Brown
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I have a Delta 13" lunch-box planer (model 22-580) that I recently bought used and the knives are rather dull. I attached a pic of it. I'm sending out my jointer knives for sharpening, and was wondering if I should send out my planer blades too.

The sharpening place lists their prices at $0.50 per inch, so to sharpen two 13" planer blades (both sides because they are reversible) would be $26. I can buy new blades for about $35 + shipping.

Are planer blades mostly disposable and really not designed for re-sharpening? Should I just buy new or sharpen the old ones?

Thanks,
Greg

Mark Carlson
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi Greg,

I have this planer too. The blades are 2 sided and disposable. Try looking at the oposite side to see if the other side is sharp. If not buy new blades.

The other thing is that these blades sit on index pins so theres no adjustment ability but does make changing blades easy.

~mark

Greg L. Brown
08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
The previous owner of this tool didn't give me the magnetic "knife changing tool." Do I need that special tool to change the knives? It looks pretty simple from the product manual pics.

There's also a missing Allen wrench that the product manual highlights. I have plenty of Allen wrenches around, so I figured I could use those. It's not a special Allen wrench to service it, is it?

Thanks,
Greg

Mark Carlson
08-13-2009, 12:30 PM
The magnetic tool does help. It allows you to just losen the screws and still grab the knives. You could probably use any fridge magnet thats thin and flat.

The allen wrench and magnetic tool are stored in the back of the machine. You might want to check if you got them. Your allen wrenches should work fine.

~mark

The previous owner of this tool didn't give me the magnetic "knife changing tool." Do I need that special tool to change the knives? It looks pretty simple from the product manual pics.

There's also a missing Allen wrench that the product manual highlights. I have plenty of Allen wrenches around, so I figured I could use those. It's not a special Allen wrench to service it, is it?

Thanks,
Greg

george wilson
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
You don't sharpen those blades. they can't stand losing any width. For the price of a new blade,you get 2 cutting edges. That is cheaper than the cost of regrinding 1 edge anyway. Each edge only costs 1/2 of $35.00,or $17.50.

Curt Harms
08-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Ditto on the "you can't sharpen 'em". You might be able to hone them a touch but there is no height adjustment so you can't remove much metal from the edge at all. I don't have this machine any more, but from the factory I'm pretty sure they came with TORX head screws, not allen heads. That doesn't mean they couldn't have been changed out at some point. I was quite happy with my machine when I had it-no snipe and nice surface. The only problem I had was planing some wet P.T. lumber. It created ribbons instead of chips and plugged the dust collection port. Other than that no problems. Don't try to take too much off at one time but that's standard advice for universal motored machines.

Curt

Mark Carlson
08-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Now that Curt mentions it I think the screws are TORX screws.

Greg L. Brown
08-13-2009, 2:18 PM
Well, I need a dust chute for this planer, so maybe I'll order the "magnetic knife changing tool" and "special wrench" from Delta when I place an order. I have a few Torx bits, but probably not the size for that planer.

Should I order the dust chute (and special tools) directly from Delta, or is it cheaper to shop around online? Any suggested online tool outlets for Delta accessories?

Thanks,
Greg

Chuck Schultz
08-13-2009, 3:15 PM
I have that same planer, and I bought my dust chute online. I got it through Amazon, and I think it was about $30 with free shipping.

Jim O'Dell
08-13-2009, 4:16 PM
I got my chute from Woodcraft when they had one of the 5.00 off 25.00 cards. My local store had one in stock. Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Surprisingly, check out Woodcraft for blades. Also, the 12 1/2" blades will fit your machine. I just sold two sets of the 12 1/2" blades to a 13" owner for $35. So you lose 1/2" of capacity.

Chris True
08-14-2009, 1:48 PM
Unrelated but funny I think:

I have a craftsmen "Pro" 13" lunchbox planer. The first time I changed the blades I read the directions which of course referred to the included magnets and allen wrenches, very important to use the magnets according to the instructions. Well, no where could I find any magnets. I figured either I missed them in the box before I threw it out or I got short changed and the maintenance tools.

Couple weeks ago I'm planing a 6 foot long board and as I manuever it to return the board to the infeed side I whacked the plastic cord wrapper thingy on the outfeed side of the planer. When I whacked it the front piece fell off - sort of hinged down, revealing a couple of magnets and some allen keys neatly stored inside...:(

Jim Rimmer
08-14-2009, 2:24 PM

Thanks,
Greg
I bought a used Ryobi lunch box on eBay and encountered the same thing - missing magnetic special tool. With the handle of a toothbrush and a shop magnet I got them out just fine.

Myk Rian
08-14-2009, 2:48 PM
Getting this back on topic;
I have a set of resharpened DW735 blades. They work fine.
There IS an adjustment for thickness on this planer. It's the stud under the setting dial.

Kevin Godshall
08-14-2009, 4:20 PM
Getting this back on topic;
I have a set of resharpened DW735 blades. They work fine.

Whether it's PC or not...... I sharpen my own blades for my Grizzly Lean and Mean planer with a Makita wet stone system. I haven't had an issue yet with the blades being too small to work.

I was paying same rate (50 cents per inch, so $25 per sharpening), so I figure I paid off my wet stone in 8 go rounds. (Got a good deal from Amazon on it).

Paul Atkins
08-14-2009, 4:37 PM
What a waste, High tech steel just thrown away. And you wonder why this country is in such a mess. I just wouldn't buy anything with disposable blades - well, I don't sharpen my razor blades, but I've thought about it.

Danny Burns
08-14-2009, 5:47 PM
These blades are indexed to the cutter-head, and so any sharpening will reduce the height of blades, and change the relationship with the rollers.
Only left/right movement is possible with the blades to shift them if you pick-up a nick in them. Shifting the blades will allow you to continue on, until you pick-up too many nicks.

The magnetic guides for setting blades is used with cutter-heads that are 'not' indexed.

If you sharpen these blades then it is possible that one blade will have just a little bit more or less metal removed, then the longer blade will end-up doing all the cutting.

I would only go as far as a simple honing on these blades, since that does not remove any appreciable metal, otherwise it's time to dole out some cash for new ones.

If you make your own tools, then you might be able to use the old blades for tool steel.

Gary Viggers
08-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Greg, I've got new blades, the magnetic blade changer and the wrench. I sent you a PM.

Bill Bezilla
08-15-2009, 4:21 PM
As mentioned these blades are disposable and have no adjustment.

I have however had pretty good success touching up blades using a homemade jig and the scary sharp method as long as there are no nicks in the blade. Just keep in mind you cannot take of too much material.
Usually about 2-3 touch ups and it's time for a new set but considering you have 2 edges. 2 sharpening x 2 side = 2 sets of blades $$$ saved.:D

george wilson
08-15-2009, 4:35 PM
Exactly true,Danny. All I would advise is a little hand honing,but some folks don't want good advice.