PDA

View Full Version : Excellent wood source in NW MO!!

Don C Peterson
08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I just thought I'd pass along a great find. I recently came across Simpson & Sons Sawmill in St. Joseph, MO.

They are a family operation that's been around for 35 years, they are friendly and very helpful. Their prices are excellent and their selection of local hardwoods is unparalleled. They do not have any exotic woods.

If you live in the area, do yourself a favor and give them a call.
http://www.simpsons-nativehardwoods.com/

No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than being an extremely satisfied customer.

Jacob Mac
08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will have to go and check it out.

Greg Cole
08-13-2009, 2:58 PM
Thanks Don.
Have any pricing off the top o' your head?

Don C Peterson
08-13-2009, 3:40 PM
Well, I picked up
4/4 QS American Sycamore for $2.50/bf
8/4 American Sycamore for $2.00/bf
4/4 Black Walnut for $3.50/bf
and 4/4 QS White Oak for $3.00/bf

All pieces were select and better. Most were clearly FAS but there were a few narrow boards included because I specified that I could use them.

I should also point out that all their wood is rough, they don't offer any kind of surfacing services and they don't sort their wood for figure, so if you pick up some wood you may get curly and you may not, but you can't order curly Maple or Cherry for example. OTOH if you get some, you pay the same price for it as the regular...

One more thing that I found out is that they carry most varieties of stock in 4/4 and 8/4 but generally don't go thicker than that except for Basswood which they carry up to 16/4.

Their prices do fluctuate depending on inventory and demand so, call to get a quote.

When I got there they had the order ready, but there were a few boards of the QS Syc that weren't terrific, they set them aside and we got some great boards to replace them. I'll also say that they are generous with their allowances for defects. I ordered and paid for 75bf of QS Sycamore but when I got home and counted it all up, I acually got more like 90 usable bf.

Greg Cole
08-13-2009, 4:46 PM
Thanks Don, I appreciate it!