PDA

View Full Version : Sword Display case

Dave Wagner
08-13-2009, 9:37 AM
I have been learning a lot on here from other 'experts' and doing a lot of reading and learning as I go. I am getting more into woodworking now then I have been in the years past now that I have some real tools (planer, jointer, shaper, etc...). I am no way an experienced woodworker like many of you (and some of your projects are great!!).

Here's my case (Almost done), it's simple and I didn't get real fancy with it, it going on display at a local American Legion.

I will be finishing with a face frame and my first attempt at "styles and rails" with a piece of glass in it. Also, I will hinge the front for access.

I used Poplar since I had some pieces kicking around the shop, the back is actually 2 pieces jointed/biscuit together. Thanks for looking!! :)

Ed Sallee
08-13-2009, 10:00 AM
That looks really nice! What's the story on the sword?

Dave Wagner
08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks.
Japanese sword from WWII. Don;t know much more about it, it was my late father in laws. Him and his wife were pretty active at the local Legion and donated it for display.

John Thompson
08-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks great Dave and I like the stain you chose. Poplar is not the easiest species to work with as far as staining and you did an excellent job in that department. The more you build.. the better you'll get so.... what-cha waiting on? :)

Nice job and I would love to have that Japanese officers sword.

Dave Wagner
08-13-2009, 12:58 PM
The stain was MinWax? (yellow can) "GUNSTOCK" and a light coat of Semi-gloss clear. I did my dad's flag case in the same stain, so I knew it would look good.
( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1155185&postcount=2 )

This was a fill-in project taking time out from working on our old Victorian house, had to wait for the wife to finish painting the porch details. NOW, i have to remove the decking and re-deck the rest of it, then onto rebuilding all of the railings....etc... :)

Dave Wagner
08-20-2009, 6:52 PM
Wahoo! My First style and rails and they turned out almost perfect. I did my research and took my time with the setup(s). Measured, measured, checked, ran a couple test boards... :) and voila.

I have everything stained and joined together with a piece of .25" PLEXIGLASS (for security) and just have to mount on the frame, hinges and locks....

Jim Koepke
08-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Nice work David.

I was wondering if you might be able to answer a question about sword display. Some swords are displayed with the cutting edge down and some with the edge up. Is this just a preference of the person displaying the sword or is there a protocol that determines this?

jim

Dave Wagner
08-21-2009, 6:03 AM
good question. :( I don't know, it might be so it doesn't damage/dull the edge?

Dave Wagner
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Finally completed!!! :)
Thanks all for all the tips and tricks. I am learning a lot more than I knew....

Steve Kubien
09-01-2009, 2:12 PM
Edge up and further to that, the illusion of being a nice-guy and having a welcoming home says that the tsuka (handle) goes on the left side when you are facing it. The reason for this goes to the fact that in Japan (now and always), there are NO left-handed swordsmen. You train right-hand no matter how you use things pens or brushes. By putting the tsuka on the left, you cannot grasp and draw the sword as quickly. It says to visitors that they are welcome and you can be trusted. Putting the tsuka to the right says that you are expecting to use it and don't trust your guest.

I am a lefty but I train righty. I have tried to use a sword left-handed and MAN it is awkward.

Cheers,
Steve

P.S. The right hand goes up against the tsuba (guard). That is how you grip a Japanese sword.

Dave Wagner
09-01-2009, 3:40 PM
So, in the picture with it mounted, I would flip it the other way for welcoming visitors.
Thanks

Steve Kubien
09-01-2009, 3:52 PM
Absolutely, edge up and tsuka to the left.

John Thompson
09-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice end result and interesting read on how it should be displayed. Some of the characters in my neighbor-hood.. I would probably display it edge down and handle to right. :D

Dave Wagner
09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks all! Been a great project and learning curve for some new things I learned. :)

Onto the next project(s)! (Porch railings, yeh :) )

John Keeton
09-03-2009, 7:12 AM
Some of the characters in my neighbor-hood.. I would probably display it edge down and handle to right. :DSarge, you know the rule - never take a knife to a gunfight!!

Nice job David, and the door came together (pun) nicely! This will make a nice addition to the Legion Hall.

Brian Kincaid
09-04-2009, 3:28 PM
Dave,
This is a nice piece.

I have a suggestion for you for your next project. Buy yourself a good #4 hand plane and sharpening gear, then take a few light swipes on the faces and outward edges of the rails/stiles to remove the machining marks.

Machining marks are stripes 90degrees to the grain that were really hard to see before you applied stain/finish. They are from your (motorized) jointer or planer. Should only take 3 swipes or so before you are getting a full-width shaving, which indicates that you have removed all the machining marks.

Brian