PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack chairs

John Haylow
09-07-2004, 8:15 PM
Hi everyone,
Just thought I'd post a picture of the Adirondack chairs I just finished. They're Norm Abram's design, following the updated modifications he used on the Adirondack loveseat: stainless steel bolts, marine adhesive sealant and plugged screw-holes. I used some 6x6 red cedar timbers I had left over from my deck, which I resawed on my bandsaw, and was able to find enough clear material for two chairs. I finished them with Benjamin Moore deck & siding stain in "Natural". They are very comfortable, and I look forward to making more.

Jim Becker
09-07-2004, 9:07 PM
Excellent job, John. The NYW Adirondacks are about my favorite design...they are very comfortable to sit in as the seat and back angles are less extreme than some versions. The ones I made about 7 years ago are getting long in the tooth and I assure you I'll use the design again...with the same improvements you too advantage of! Again, very nice job on these wonderful chairs.

Jack Hogoboom
09-07-2004, 9:32 PM
John,

Really nice job. Those chairs are on my list of projects....

Jack

Greg Daves
09-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I can't tell you how long I have 'intended' to make those, have the plans and taped the show, but have yet to make them. Not bad from fencing left-overs! Great job.

GD

Jim Barrett
09-07-2004, 10:31 PM
John,

Nice job! I built several Adirondack chairs from plans out of WWJ (Woodworkers journal) more than 14 years ago and they are still looking pretty good. Even in the Great NW elements!
Jim

Sparky Paessler
09-08-2004, 7:27 AM
Those look great! I keep meaning to make some of those but just never seem to get around to it. Great use of the leftovers.

Keith Starosta
09-08-2004, 7:47 AM
Excellent job, John! It's such a simple design, and provides such awesome results. Like many other people, I've been meaning to bang out a couple sets of these bad boys myself. I'm to the point that I actually drew out the patterns onto 1" graph paper. Now I've just got to adhere them to some 1/2" MDF and hit the BS to make my patterns. Can't wait!!! :D

Keith

Kurt Aebi
09-08-2004, 12:00 PM
John,

Those look excellent. And I am sure you will have some real comfortable chairs to relax and ponder more projects in those beauties!

Great Job and thanks for sharing with and inspiring us!