PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Hotel Keys & whales!!!

Ian Wilson (AUST)
08-13-2009, 1:08 AM
Hello Creekers,

Has anyone had any experience with Poly Hotel Keys ie the Plastic piece you push in and pull out of your Hotel Room which unlocks and activates lights etc

I am quoting on engraving about 200 off, they are white in colour.

Have read the other Threads and are not sure whether to "steer clear"".

Regards Ian.

PS My other job is a Sailing Instructor and its Whale season here. Yesterday I had 3 Humpback Whales swim round my boat only 15 feet away. The students were thrilled especially an American Couple on their 10 yr anniversary. It really is Mother Nature at it's best. Thought I'd share this awesome moment.:eek::D:D:D:D

sal shepherd
08-13-2009, 1:57 AM
I fool with this type of key. They are normaly printed on a 4 color process. I have engraved a few they were pvc they engraved a yellowish tint. I was told they were poly that wasn't true If you are lasering I would not take that job. My laser cost too much. Also it puts off sinaide gas an attacks metal. If you are printing them an a laser printer ok.

Dan Hintz
08-13-2009, 6:44 AM
Also it puts off sinaide gas an attacks metal.
Hydrochloric acid, actually... if it was cyanide, you'd have permanent breathing problems now, at best, and be dead, at worst.

Ian, be very sure of the material before cutting, but I think you'll find most have at least a core of PVC-type materials (for example, the thicker credit cards typically use PVCA as a core). If so, stay away.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Hydrochloric acid, actually... if it was cyanide, you'd have permanent breathing problems now, at best, and be dead, at worst.

Ian, be very sure of the material before cutting, but I think you'll find most have at least a core of PVC-type materials (for example, the thicker credit cards typically use PVCA as a core). If so, stay away.

Thanks Dan,

What about Rastering and how can tell if it is PVC??

Cheers Ian

Dan Hintz
08-13-2009, 5:19 PM
I'm not a complete gloom and doom type, but I would certainly be leary about doing much of it on a machine that cost as much as ours do. You may get away with rastering a few, particularly if you have an excellent exhaust system, but I'd be careful.

Try burning some... if it burns with a blue flame with a yellow center and black smoke, but extinguishes itself when the flame is removed, chances are high it's PVC.

Andrea Weissenseel
08-13-2009, 5:20 PM
Ian, this will help you http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114701

Andrea

Bill Cunningham
08-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I used to do hundreds of these 'keys' for a security company. Not on the laser though.. I was hot stamping their logo on with metallic blue foil.. Vinyl hot stamps very nicely, I have 150 3-ring binders in the shop right now for a retirement home hand book.. Their logo and the words 'Handbook' are to be stamped in gold, just waiting the the mag dies to come in..