PDA

View Full Version : Hey John Miliunas

Tom Sweeney
03-23-2003, 1:38 PM
so tell us - did you buy it?

I saw your post RE: the router bits, I assume you got them at the auction, but I didn't see anything about the jointer.

Anything else any good?

An auction addict needs to know :D

John Miliunas
03-23-2003, 9:38 PM
The *12" jointer* actually turned out to be a combo machine made by WoodFast. It's a 12" TS with a short 6" jointer attached to the side, plus some other insundrious attachments. Made in Austria, from what I understand, but me thinks this particular piece followed old Christopher Columbus to port not too long after he landed! :D

I got a bunch of the Carb-Tech bits, 12 of them, to be exact. Among them, two rail/stile combo bits, a couple ogees, a complete dado kit (single bit w/dif. bearings), 4-wing slot cutter, a 3-9/16" raised panel bit, as well as a couple other misc. bits. All but one were 1/2" shank and all have very free-wheeling bearings. The twelve bits, PLUS two gigundo carbide rosette cutters for $95.00. And, after doing a bit of "Simple Green" and brass brush cleaning, I don't think I need any of them sharpened. I'll start trying them out one by one and see how they perform.

Although I didn't "need" it, I also picked up an "Industrial Craftsman" worm drive 7-1/4" skill saw. The thing is in nice shape, runs quiet and smooth and even the cord is in decent shape. Damages=$30.00.

Picked up some misc. items for LOML, but one of my biggest prizes was a workbench. Well, ok, the bench itself wasn't the best built thing I've ever seen and has had the snot beat out of it and hardly worth kindling. BUT, there happened to be a nice quick-release wood vise attached to it. 9" jaws, opened to 13". It looks identical to the "Record" unit, but is not indicated as a "Record". Has Taiwan stamped on it. Regardless, a real heavy unit. The gear rod only needed a light brushing and some slip-um stuff on it. I did have to use a bit more elbow grease on the slides, but they came clean and a little automotive wax has the whole thing working real smoothly. A little effort, but for $7.50, I'm not going to whine too loud!

Hey, now that I think about it, I about covered my "Weekend Accomplishments" with this response! The auction did indeed consume the bulk of Saturday. Anyhow, there 'ya have it. So, whatdya' think? Did I do OK? :cool:

Tom Sweeney
03-24-2003, 10:30 AM
I think you did pretty well. Sounds like you got a some heavy duty bits - now you'll have to make some really fancy stuff to justify the purchase :D

The saw sounds like a good find also. :cool:

John Miliunas
03-24-2003, 1:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom Sweeney
[B]I think you did pretty well. Sounds like you got a some heavy duty bits - now you'll have to make some really fancy stuff to justify the purchase :D

Justify the purchase? Ha, ha, ha! You should see all my WW magazines. LOML has little "Post It" tabs hanging out of pages in just about all of them!:D :D :cool: