PDA

View Full Version : jet 1642 outboard turning?

Chris Haas
08-12-2009, 10:06 PM
i was wondering if anyone tried this, or thought about it. what if i drilled the appropriet holes through the cast iron stand bolted this http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708346-20-Inch-Extension-14-Inch/dp/B0009H58VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250128773&sr=8-1 on with appropriet shimms to level, and used a bigger banjo. it would basically be just like the powermatic outboard turning setup. just a thought. now just waiting on money.

Richard Madison
08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Looks flimsy (only 38#), made perhaps for turning long, thin spindles on smaller lathe. Better to design, build or adapt a tool rest to bolt to existing holes on end of the bed.

alex carey
08-12-2009, 11:46 PM
agreed, seems light weight

Brian Novotny
08-13-2009, 3:27 AM
No, drill and tap the holes and general not only sells the outboard bed, but the banjo and tool rest if thats the way you want to go. I believe oneway sells the same parts. Don't buy something jet not made for something jet. Here's what you need http://www.general.ca/site_general/accessories/lathe.html

it's all on that page.

IMO general doesn't get enough props for their lathes around here. They're solid, built to last and made in north america, .....and not in mexico!!!!!! On that fact alone their prices are pretty good. Not only that, but they're starting to catch up with the times. If you don't want to do the outboard bed thingy, there's also a outboard stand there too.......probably beats jets price. Talking with a former general lathe owner, he only solidified what I thought a general lathe would be after strolling thru their showroom. There's no way a 20" outbourd bed would work IMO. Generals, is made for your purpose........and the bed is probably of a standard size, which would give you options on the tool rest and banjo.
.....wait, am I in the wrong thread again???

Steve Kubien
08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Novotny;1193488]
Not only that, but they're starting to catch up with the times.QUOTE]

I am not sure I can agree with this because, in my view, any manufacturer of a wood lathe that does not put the same thread on the outboard end of the spindle as is on the inboard end, IN A RIGHT-HAND THREAD LIKE THE INBOARD SIDE, is simply not keeping up with the times. Sorry but this is a major bee in my bonnet. Oneway does it. Vicmarc does it. General does not. Rikon's bigger lathe does not. Why should a turner have to buy different attachments (faceplates, chuck inserts etc) for the outboard side AND have to turn-lefthanded (because most lathes have a LH thread on the outboard side)? Oh, and do not even get me started on the 2" travel on the tailstock spindle...

Too bad because, as a Canadian, I would love to be able to support General and get a Canadian-made lathe. For the money involved, this becomes a deal-breaker for me.

Getting off my soapbox now.....

Steve

John Peck
08-13-2009, 1:41 PM
The bed extension pictured in the Amazon link is NOT the 20-inch bed extension for the Jet 1642 (and Jet 1422, which has the same bed and same legs as the 1642). I know, because I have one.

Brian Novotny
08-13-2009, 3:14 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Novotny;1193488]
Not only that, but they're starting to catch up with the times.QUOTE]

I am not sure I can agree with this because, in my view, any manufacturer of a wood lathe that does not put the same thread on the outboard end of the spindle as is on the inboard end, IN A RIGHT-HAND THREAD LIKE THE INBOARD SIDE, is simply not keeping up with the times. Sorry but this is a major bee in my bonnet. Oneway does it. Vicmarc does it. General does not. Rikon's bigger lathe does not. Why should a turner have to buy different attachments (faceplates, chuck inserts etc) for the outboard side AND have to turn-lefthanded (because most lathes have a LH thread on the outboard side)? Oh, and do not even get me started on the 2" travel on the tailstock spindle...

Too bad because, as a Canadian, I would love to be able to support General and get a Canadian-made lathe. For the money involved, this becomes a deal-breaker for me.

Getting off my soapbox now.....

Steve
that is pretty lame. maybe they have larger spindle thread sizes outboard to accomodate the larger pieces and to keep overall costs down? still pretty lame.

Steve Kubien
08-13-2009, 5:48 PM
Brian, the spindles are actually SMALLER on the outboard side (on the 26020VDRM2, 1-1/4" x 8 tpi RH inboard vs. 1-1/8" x 8 tpi LH outboard). I believe it is the same on the larger Rikon). I have asked General to explain it to me but no response yet. Maybe there is a good reason for it (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt) but I am not optimisitc.

Brian Novotny
08-13-2009, 9:22 PM
Brian, the spindles are actually SMALLER on the outboard side (on the 26020VDRM2, 1-1/4" x 8 tpi RH inboard vs. 1-1/8" x 8 tpi LH outboard). I believe it is the same on the larger Rikon). I have asked General to explain it to me but no response yet. Maybe there is a good reason for it (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt) but I am not optimisitc.
my theory held sence in my head. those F'N HOSERS. SO, more difficlult, probably detremental on the machine, and one of the stupidest things I've heard in a LONG time......my outlook is now changing......thanks for the knowledge! tooo mu h molson or something........

Steve Kubien
08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
"F'N Hosers" is considered a serious term of endearment. Love you too man!
Keep your stick on the ice.

J. Greg Jones
08-14-2009, 7:18 AM
As John Peck mentioned, the BE-20 extension for the Jet 16" and 14" lathes is not the one pictured by Jet, Amazon, etc. The BE-20 is made just like the bed of the 1642.

I have the BE-20 (bought it for long spindle work) and I too have considered drilling and tapping the legs to do just what you are looking to do. I don't know why it wouldn't work as the legs look thick enough to get all the threads needed to mount the extension. If not, a machine shop could weld a plate on the leg and then tap for the extension to get more threads for additional strength.

I bought mine a couple of months ago and from what I was told, the BE-20 is, or will be, discontinued and they are in short supply. If you want one, better to find it now. I got mine from CPO Jet for $160 shipped. You'll need to call them to ask for it as it is not listed on their Web site.

http://homepage.mac.com/jgregjones/.Pictures/Shop/Lathe/LatheExtension.jpg