PDA

View Full Version : power feeder questions

Leo Plas
08-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I have been looking for a power feeder to use on both my tablesaw and a 3hp shaper. I located a Delta 1hp unit recently and talked to the seller who said that he had a couple of people look at it who said that it would feed too fast to use on a shaper. I assume that the optimum feed speed depends on many variables including diameter and shape of cutter, type of wood, luck and a few others.The 1hp delta feeder speed numbers I found were 14-72 fpm. So, is there a better speed range that one should look for to feed a shaper?

J.R. Rutter
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
It should be just fine - that is a standard speed range. 14 or 26 FPM will be the gear setting that you want for a shaper. Maybe you could use that (unwarranted) concern to get a better price.

Jeff Duncan
08-13-2009, 2:06 PM
I'll second JR's comments and add that you may want to re-consider the swapping machines part of the equation. If you've never lifted a 1 hp feeder your going to find that it's not so easy to move it around. Generally once you find it a home your not going to want to move it.
BTW, I use that same feeder on my shaper and run several different speeds depending on the work I'm doing. It's a nice unit with a lot of flexibility in speed.
good luck,
JeffD

Mike Heidrick
08-13-2009, 2:25 PM
I used a Delta 1hp feeder on a Delta 3hp shaper and now on my Laguna 5hp. Works Perfect.

I need another 1hp feeder!

Chip Lindley
08-13-2009, 2:30 PM
Since the Delta feeder is *limited* in it's ability (according to the seller) dicker for a better price. I have a Delta 1hp 3whl feeder that works just FINE on my shapers. No Problem!

For a tablesaw, look for one of those used Rockwell/Delta Unifeeders. They seldom bring much on eBay, and work great on a table saw (what they were intended for)