PDA

View Full Version : Shark Guard Splitter too thick

Prashun Patel
08-12-2009, 9:50 PM
I made a mistake and ordered a standard kerf SG splitter and it doesn't work with the blades I have. The splitter isn't in returnable shape. I know the easy soln is to buy different blades or to buy a thinner splitter from Lee.

So here's the q: Can I grind a milimeter off the one I got with an angle grinder? What wheel would I use?

Better ideas?

ed vitanovec
08-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I would say a surface grinder or milling machine, you want to take off .0394 thickness of material? Thats a lot of metal to remove from a thin piece of steel, needs to be uniform thickness and the heat may warp the steel.
Good luck!
Ed

Kyle Iwamoto
08-13-2009, 1:27 AM
How much was it? It may not be worth the time to grind/sand/mill that down. Just buy a new one. Keep that if you upgrade to a full kerf.

Just my .02.

By the way, what kind of saw? If you have a 3 hp saw, buy a full kerf...

Fred Hargis
08-13-2009, 8:11 AM
Well, if you ruin it (my guess, since an angle grinder isn't a precision tool) you'll just buy another...not sure you lose by trying.

Prashun Patel
08-13-2009, 8:12 AM
Yeah, it's looking more like more effort than it's worth. Thanks for the responses.
Unfortunately, I'm not in 3hp land (yet!!!). My saw's a Jet hybrid 1.75hp. Good enough for me.

Al Willits
08-13-2009, 8:32 AM
Know anybody with a drum sander?

I'm think that you could mount the splitter on a flat board and run it though till ya hit the right size?

Al

glenn bradley
08-13-2009, 8:46 AM
Al's got a good thought although if you go too far, you lose some of the function. I'd replace or see if you can swap(?).

Nelson Howe
08-13-2009, 9:18 AM
Did you try talking to Lee, and asking him for a suggestion? He might have a good idea, or a set that's too dinged for sale, but still functional. And I bet he could sell you a new set the right size for less exasperation than milling those down would cause. Of course, you might have to wait a while.

Nelson

Lee Schierer
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Take it to your local machine shop and have them use a surface grinder. It should be less than 30 minutes of work and most aren't all that busy these days. If you talk nice the man might even do it for free.

John Thompson
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Contact Lee at his web-site e-mail address and ask his opinion of how to handle it. I have purchased splitter blanks from him at a reasonable price. Lee will go out of his way to assist IMO as he's a first class act. I won't say he wil lose money but he will most definitely attempt to help you.

Good luck...

Prashun Patel
08-13-2009, 12:55 PM
He HAS been helpful. No complaints there. I'm just trying to find a cheap, fast way to do it.

I found a machine shop round the corner from me (serendipity!) and he says he can do it for a song.