PDA

View Full Version : I need favor re: CSBBQ

Joe Meazle
09-07-2004, 7:56 PM
:) Hello y’all

I was out at Dennis Peacock’s today talking about my garage/shop rehab. I have two window that were boarded up. They face my neighbor’s back yard. I was thinking that I would like to use some of that double wall polycarbonate greenhouse glazing. It would let in light not but allow privacy. It would provide sound insulation and a good R-value. Problem no one around here carries any. :( We have a greenhouse manufacturer just up the road but he does not have the double wall. Dennis was saying that folks would be coming from all over to the CSBBQ and maybe some could bring some from their area. What I need is enough to glaze four 2’x2’ sashes. I would certainly buy a 4x8 sheet. I have seen it on line for $22 a sheet but shipping or having to buy 40 sheets kills the deal. I would be willing to mail a check or MO or paypal the funds. If I am able to make it up I would pick it up if not Dennis said he would help me out bring it back to Conway. One of the things that I love about WW is that it fosters creative solutions to problems this yet another example. If you guys have any other resources for that stuff let me know.

Thanks for the help and sugestions,

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-07-2004, 9:41 PM
Joe, I may have some Lexan, double wall sheating for ya. You basically need 2, 2' x 2' pieces, right? Let me check tomorrow and see what I can come up with for you. This stuff is clear, and the inside is corrugated........the surface is pretty smooth, but there are dividers inside the material........the end view of it pretty much looks like a enlarged section of a cardboard box. If this is what you have in mind, I may be able to fix ya up. Let me know, and I will see what I can do for ya. I will be happy to bring it along to the BBQ. You won't be able to beat the price either! :D

Joe Meazle
09-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Kevin,

That sounds like the stuff. it is usually a little over 1/4 inch thick. I actually need 4 pieces 2'x2' to make four sashes. When pricing remember that supply in this area is very limited:D . Let me know if you have that much. I don't think I have my email on my profile but you can PM me? I am still new to the forum thing even though I have been lurking for a while.

Thanks,

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Joe, I will check tomorrow and see what I can come up with for ya. Sounds like we are talking about the same material. I will PM you if I can help.

Joe Mioux
09-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Hey Joe

This is something I really know something about. I have installed it on several of my greenhouses. I'm not going to the the BBQ but Kevin G, lives close to me. I will check and see if I have any left over scraps of the stuff. You will also need some aluminum extrusions, aluminum tape and vent tape to install it properly. If I don't have any, contact Hummer International in STL their number is 800-325-3055. They also have a branch facility in Springfield MO. They are really helpful.

When installing it, make certain you put the correct side out.

Joe

Joe Meazle
09-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys,

I may want to replace the wooden panel (25"x40") in my door with the stuff too if some is available. I want as much natural light as possible. I don’t want to push my luck though. I will be happy to buy a whole sheet It is the getting it here that is the problem. The sashes are my top priority though. Any tips on using the stuff will be appreciated. I understand the tape for moisture dirt and insects. Can I not just make a wooden frame and not use the channel? I assume some weep holes are needed at the bottom.

Thanks again,

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-08-2004, 6:52 AM
Joe, I found the material. Thanks for the hint about Hummert International as a supplier Joe, I had forgot about them! Check this out, I think this is what you were referring to. Kinda expensive though!

Glazing Polycarbonate (http://www.hummert.com/catalog.asp?C=65&SC=22&P=8648)

Joe Mioux
09-08-2004, 8:46 AM
Hi Joe:

You probably could make some wood panel connectors and yes you do need weep holes. The only problem I see with wood is expansion and contraction when the wood gets wet. If you were to make them, I would lean towards redwood, cedar or cyprus. These three species are traditional greenhouse building materials.

Hey Kevin: btw you any relation to Ed G?

Joe Meazle
09-08-2004, 9:36 AM
Thnaks guys,

That stuff is a little spendy for me. I did see this on the site http://www.hummert.com/catalog.asp?C=65&SC=22&P=8324
But it does not indicate size and ther appears to be a $50 minnimum order and the shipping is north of my budget as well. :( I was hoping someone had supplier nearby and could pick up single sheet for me. I may need consider other options. worse case senerio is I just use glass.
Thnaks again,
Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Joe, I have 4 pieces of this material, which is Lexan and clear, that are over 2' x 2' in size. I will have exact measurements of it for ya later today. I can shoot a pic of it as well, if you want to see it. I think that is all I have available for ya, but I can check on the other size you asked about. Hope this helps ya out some.

Joe Meazle
09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Kevin,

That would be great. Like I said the 4 peices 2'x2' are my priority. any thing would just be icing on the cake. Thank you for taking the time to look into for me and being willing to tote that stuff to Ark. if it works out.
Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Joe, the 4 peices that are 2' x 2' are in my truck, so I know I will be bringing them with me to Arkie Land for sure. I will see what I can do on the other size. Not a problem at all, glad I can help ya out. :D

Joe Meazle
09-08-2004, 4:59 PM
Kevin,

Big thanks to ya man. As soon as you can work up a price let me know and I wil get you some funds. Dennis was trying to sell me on going the BBQ but I am supposed to go to the UofA game with my sweetie's pop. Now I really want to go just to shake youjr hand. I might just ask ofr a day of and go up Friday. I might even use my great American Work ethic and burn a sick day.:D Just kidding I have been putting in some extra hours and can probally flex a little time

Thanks,
Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-08-2004, 5:30 PM
No problem Joe, glad to help ya out. IMO, that is what it is really all about, folks helping folks when they can. Come on up Friday, we plan to roll in about noon or so, I would like to meet ya. Any friend of Dennis is a friend of mine! ;)

I'll email you a picture of what I have for ya later today. As for the price, I think you will be comfortable with that too. Take care!

Kevin

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-08-2004, 8:27 PM
Hi Joe. I have some pictures of the Lexan Sheeting for ya. Please email me with your email address, and I will send them to ya. You can email me at:

kgersty@charter.net

Thanks!