PDA

View Full Version : Small gloat and a question

Alan Tolchinsky
08-12-2009, 5:45 PM
Well I finally bought a Wolverine sharpening jig. Woodcraft had it on sale and I had a $15 off card so I couldn't resist.
I've had a home made one for several years but this one is so much better. I guess thats really a testament to my jig making skills but the One Way is very stable and solid as a rock. It really gets the job done so much better than my jig. My question is do you know what the "guards" are for? It's the silver metal thing in the pics near the right grinding wheel. I don't see what it protects.

curtis rosche
08-12-2009, 6:02 PM
i didnt get one of those gaurds with my jig. nice gloat

Bill Bulloch
08-12-2009, 6:53 PM
I didn't get a guard either... What's it for

Mack Cameron
08-12-2009, 6:55 PM
I have no idea what they are for. I just left them off!

Jon Prouty
08-12-2009, 7:19 PM
left mine in the box too... :rolleyes:

Jeff Nicol
08-12-2009, 7:27 PM
Alan, I think that it is for when you want to take the support arm out and use the wheel to grind some other item that does not require the arm. It looks just like what what most grinders have on them when you get them from the factory.

Sounds good to me,

Jeff

Steve Mawson
08-12-2009, 7:49 PM
Mine are still in the box. Doubt that I will ever use them. Couldn't resist when Woodcraft had their 15% off sale with free shipping.

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2009, 7:54 PM
Congrats Alan. Didn't get one with mine.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-12-2009, 8:03 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll mount them and see if they get in the way. If they do then off they go. Just sharpened six tools. It was a lot less fuss than it used to be.

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2009, 8:32 PM
Congrats on your new sharpening system Alan! I've had mine for a few years now and - like you said - it is rock-solid! Never seen the guards before - so must be something that comes with the new systems!

Richard Madison
08-12-2009, 8:50 PM
If the "guard" position is adjustable vertically, suggest you position it a little below where your tools usually contact the wheel. That way when you forget to tighten the sliding arm before sharpening (or not tight enough) and it slides away from the wheel, the guard will catch the tool and prevent it from jamming against the wheel and causing unpleasantness, followed by a lawsuit. Just a thought. Have never actually seen one of those jigs.

Brent Smith
08-12-2009, 9:08 PM
According to a local dealer, Richard has it right. I noticed it on a display set up last week. It isn't strong enough to give adequate support to use as a tool rest.

Scott Conners
08-12-2009, 9:16 PM
My understanding was that they were there as safeties guarding against something getting pulled down the face of the wheel and under/around if an arm was left loose and pulled away from the wheel. They should be as close to the wheel as you can get them without touching, and adjusted when your wheel wears from dressing. If you need a dressing jig I recommend Bill Grumbine's over the wolverine one, the wolverine has some flex in it that makes it a very delicate operation on fine grit wheels to get a nice flat face without grooves.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys; that makes sense. It would have made sense for One Way to explain what it's purpose is but I'll bet legal advised against that. . Who knows? :confused: