PDA

View Full Version : Help need quick answer Band saw? Before I go look..

richard poitras
08-12-2009, 4:12 PM
Help need quick answer Band saw? Before I go look..

I am looking at a 1999 Laguna LT18’’ band saw with a 3hp motor he wants $500.00 and says it’s in good shape is there anything in particular I should look for or know about this year saw and model . And do you think that’s a good deal?

Chris Tsutsui
08-12-2009, 4:43 PM
Yeah that's a spankin good deal.

I got a Laguna 14" SE for $500 used and i thought that was a good deal.

These band saws are built tough to last.

Find out how it's wired. See if it comes with original ceramic guides.

richard poitras
08-12-2009, 4:47 PM
Wired at 220, still has the old guide system, also comes with a mobel base, been sitting in his heated garge for a few years and has not been run, no rust..

Richard

Richard Bell CA
08-12-2009, 5:12 PM
Richard:

I have the 2001 version of this saw and it is a good saw. The European motor runs hot, but it still runs well. The newer ones have a Baldor motor, which is avalable as a retrofit kit from Laguna. I bought mine new for about $2K in 2001, so this sounds like a pretty good deal.

Good luck

Richard

Kyle Iwamoto
08-12-2009, 5:20 PM
I paid 600 for a 14" PM. That sounds like a smoking hot deal. Speaking of HOT, see if he has the manuals, and other signs its not too hot....

Scot Ferraro
08-12-2009, 10:13 PM
That is a very good deal -- is it all white or the white-grey frame? They made a few minor changes to the frame design around 98/99 -- nothing major, but the newer frames are more angled and you have the two color scheme. You can retrofit to a new motor (which is what I did since the Euro ran hot) as well as the ceramic guides if you want to go that route. Even with these upgrades you are still getting a great deal.

Good luck.

Scot

Mike Wilkins
08-13-2009, 9:08 AM
I hope you go and get this machine. I have had a LT18 since 2001 and it is a real bull-hoss. The older models came with the Euro roller guides, but you can get the ceramic guides and retrofit them with no problem. Same with the motor. I still have the original, but if it ever fails, the replacement 4.5 horse unit from Laguna will fit perfectly. Great machine.

richard poitras
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
That is a very good deal -- is it all white or the white-grey frame? They made a few minor changes to the frame design around 98/99 -- nothing major, but the newer frames are more angled and you have the two color scheme. You can retrofit to a new motor (which is what I did since the Euro ran hot) as well as the ceramic guides if you want to go that route. Even with these upgrades you are still getting a great deal.

Good luck.

Scot

Scott it is white with the gray frame with a yellow guide arm and has the built in rollers (back wheels with front pull bar) and a foot brake, the tires on the saw looked almost new (as the owner stated it has sat for some time now) it did have a little rust on the top but not that much and will clean up nicely. It also came with 4 blades and the manual and original bill of sale. I ended up giving him $350.00 so I fell I did very well, (now all I have to do is sell my 1 year old Grizzly GO514X to pay for it and my other purchase ) Which I also got from him it’s a brand new in the box Leigh FMT never been used, parts still in the plastic! For $250.00 (not sure if I am keep it or not) but I couldn’t so no for that price!

Thanks to one and all for your comments …Richard

Jeff Willard
08-14-2009, 7:40 AM
I ended up giving him $350.00 so I fell I did very well, ... a brand new in the box Leigh FMT never been used, parts still in the plastic! For $250.00 ...

:eek: You will be known, from this point on, as "The Bandit" ;).

richard poitras
08-14-2009, 5:06 PM
:eek: You will be known, from this point on, as "The Bandit" ;).

I like the name but you know some reps. are hard to keep up! :)

Chris Tsutsui
08-14-2009, 5:38 PM
I hope you go and get this machine. I have had a LT18 since 2001 and it is a real bull-hoss. The older models came with the Euro roller guides, but you can get the ceramic guides and retrofit them with no problem. Same with the motor. I still have the original, but if it ever fails, the replacement 4.5 horse unit from Laguna will fit perfectly. Great machine.

He got an amazing deal.

Not only did he buy the 18" laguna for just $350 which came with original manual and receipt. (good signs)

But then he had to go on and pick up a new in box Leigh FMT mortise/tenon jig for $250. I've seen the Leigh FMT go for sale on local craigslist for $450 and that's used!!

A few months ago I sold my used Delta 14" open base band saw with accessories for $325. And to think you got an 18" Laguna for just $25 more is a very worthy gloat.