PDA

View Full Version : You may have thought of this....

John Keeton
08-12-2009, 4:10 PM
But, this seemed like a neat idea. I suspect this is not original, but I haven't seen it yet.

In my newly acquired addiction to de-rusting old planes (Thanks, again Keopke!!), I have done OK with sneaking a tupperware container out of the house to use with the Evaporust. But, I have only been playing with a couple of #4 planes. When I bought a #5, it wouldn't fit. Then, there was this other #5 :o !!

I was going to have to do several "dips" at different angles. Then, I have this #7 coming in :eek:...(I have publicly admitted my problem previously more than once).....and, I know it won't fit!

So, I stopped by my local plumbing shop on the way home and picked up a scrap of 4" PVC and a testing cap - and, instant de-rusting tank! At least two plane bodies will fit at one time.

Jim Koepke
08-12-2009, 4:46 PM
Don't worry John, it isn't a serious problem until you start shopping for 12 inch PVC pipe.

jim

Dan Racette
08-12-2009, 5:16 PM
Seems like a great idea. I would say you definitely have a problem. You seem to have committed to a "process". You will now have to use your invention, as it will be a "tool" that will need to justify being used!! :):)

Dan

jerry nazard
08-12-2009, 5:46 PM
John,

Yep, works like a charm. Also, plastic freezer bags. Stuff 'em with planes and use wood scraps to block the filled bags into the desired shape.

-Jerry

David Christopher
08-12-2009, 6:39 PM
good idea John, you couldnt talk the wife into getting some bigger tuperware ?

John Keeton
08-12-2009, 6:54 PM
good idea John, you couldnt talk the wife into getting some bigger tuperware ?David, that would require me telling her about the tupperware I "borrowed." :D Probably not the best plan!!

Dave Lehnert
08-12-2009, 7:03 PM
Over at Shopsmith they have a video about removing rust with potatoes.
They use a PVC pipe to soak the way tubes in the potato and water mix.
Interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgnHDB3VNI

Richard Dooling
08-12-2009, 7:23 PM
Good idea John,

I've tried a couple of tricks that have been less than satisfactory. This looks like a winner!

Hmmm, maybe put a stop cock in near the bottom to tap off sediment and some sort of mesh to keep the plane (or whatever) off the bottom of the tank.

george wilson
08-12-2009, 7:46 PM
There is a file sharpening kit that uses a similar PVC pipe to suspend the files in.

John Keeton
08-12-2009, 8:24 PM
Dave, that was an interesting video, but about 20 seconds into it, I had to wonder why the guy didn't put the water in the tube AFTER putting in the way tube???:confused: Or, at the very least, put less water in, and top it off?? Seems he wouldn't have had to deal with the overflow.

Also, maybe eating potatoes keeps rust out of the ol' pipes???:D

Richard, those are some good thoughts. I have found with the Evaporust, that the sediment tends to lay on the bottom, and I don't know if it would drain off or not. I have just used the PVC once, and had pretty good luck pouring the Evaporust through a funnel with a small bit of cheesecloth in the funnel. That left most of the sediment in the bottom of the tube, which I rinsed out with a hose. Probably lost less than 1/2 cup of chemical. With the curved toe on the plane bodies, I didn't notice any negative effect on the surface where the plane touched the bottom. With other articles having a larger or flat surface touching the bottom, I am sure the mesh would help.

Mike Brady
08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I have used drywall mud trays and wall paper soaking trays for derusting longer planes. Oddly, I found that I seldom have to soak the plane bodies themselves. Certainly the frog, cutter parts, screws, washers and adjuster parts benefit from derusting; but because I lap the sides and sole anyway, there is little left,other than the machined frog seats, to derust. If I was completely stripping the plane of japanning, then I would soak the entire casting. I bead blast after that.

I know what you mean about "addicting". I went through about a year of doing dozens of planes. I kept some and sold some, but eventually I got tired of the grime and iron dust everywhere during the process. I found that you really should have a separate area for the metal work, with a water supply and a bench that you don't mind trashing. Woodworking is a whole lot cleaner.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Over at Shopsmith they have a video about removing rust with potatoes.
They use a PVC pipe to soak the way tubes in the potato and water mix.
Interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgnHDB3VNI

Now that got my attention. I do wonder what it id for theinside of the tube and how he got that clean. Maybe a rotary wire brush.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb140/Heathicus/Woodworking/Machine%20Restorations/Shopsmith%2010ER%2035630/IMG_5725-1.jpg

http://www.ehow.com/how_9924_remove-rust-pots.html