PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion

harry strasil
08-12-2009, 2:59 PM
An old retired Hobbiest WWer lost his wife of 55 years and his high school sweetheart lost her husband shortly after. So they got together again and after a couple of months decided to get married.

She was upset that he was spending to much time in his garage woodshop during the day and one day when he had gone to visit one of his children, she hired some local boys to clean out the garage so she could put her car in there. She had the boys put his TS, jointer, planer, drill press,drum sander and all his handtools out by the curb with a sign, "Free Junk".

He came home from visiting that night and upon finding his tools by the curb with the sign, inquired of her who was responsible, he called a taxi, told her to go away and not come back.

Now the Question, at the divorce trial, the Jury of 12 good men and true, after 30 minutes of deliberation found him innocent of abandonment and ruled his actions Justifiable and she gets nothing, but has to pay all court costs and for returning the tools to the garage. Is the Jury's Decision in this Instance, Justified?

John Shuk
08-12-2009, 3:28 PM
Doesn't matter that they are woodworking tools.........see ya later

Greg Peterson
08-12-2009, 5:39 PM
No enough information to form an opinion.

The facts as presented are one sided and present the man as a sympathetic victim.

Greg Crawford
08-12-2009, 7:33 PM
Harry,

Having just been through a very "educational" divorce, a lot would depend on the State. In Texas, when a couple marries, their possesions at the time of the wedding are not considered "community property". If I were to re-marry, all my WW tools would belong strictly to me, so these actions you describe would probably be criminal in some form.

If that's the case, it sounds like the jury complied with the law. Whether or not they did, I congratulate them! Just imagine the outrage if a man did that with his new bride's inherited sterling silver or crystal, etc.

Jim O'Dell
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Harry,

snip Just imagine the outrage if a man did that with his new bride's inherited sterling silver or crystal, etc.

But would the jury convict her of murder in the first or second degree? ;)
I agree, there is not enough information to form a legal opinion. The tool man in me says "Right on!!" But a jury can't decide that way. And the laws could change the outcome from state to state. If nothing else, he found out pretty quickly that true love didn't exist there as it must have in his first marriage. I mean, all she had to do was to encourage him to build a detached shop! :rolleyes: Jim.

Sorry Harry. I'm sure this is not the type of answer you were looking for.

mike holden
08-13-2009, 9:24 AM
Geez Harry!
You tried to make a joke, and everyone gets all serious about it!

It was a joke, right?

Mike

harry strasil
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes, its just a spoof to kind of lighten things up, everybody needs a laugh once in awhile.

Greg Peterson
08-13-2009, 3:15 PM
Sorry, didn't read it as a joke.

Did she end up paying for the taxi too?

Jerome Hanby
08-13-2009, 4:29 PM
Let see if I can clean this up enough to get by the forum police.

If you were walking by a pond and saw someone of a universally detested (but in this case completely mythical because we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings and since having no feelings is part of being mythical it should be ok) profession drowning, would you go see a movie or take a nap.

Rich Stewart
08-13-2009, 8:20 PM
Just let everybody take the tools for free. Then take up beer drinking. Probably end up with a bunch of better tools.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Is the Jury's Decision in this Instance, Justified?

Let me put it this way:

I was staunchly anti-Death Penalty until one day a neighbor struck the flat cast iron top of my saw with a carpenter's hammer.

Jim Finn
08-14-2009, 7:14 PM
she got off easy!