PDA

View Full Version : Successful Wooden Toy

David Winer
08-12-2009, 2:23 PM
Several years ago I made one of those pound-pegs-through-holes toys for my first grandchild. She was two at the time and didn’t take to it at all. But now at six she and her four-year old sister really give it a workout. When our next door neighbors’ two kids, oldest is four, visit they also tear into it. While watching my grand daughters on their visit today (see attached shots), I thought fellow woodworkers might like to do this too.

No plans necessary. Cut a board into three pieces that will accommodate enough holes to suit your purpose. Choose dowels of any size to make the pegs. Size the ends so they are twice as long as your pegs plus the board thickness. Center the board with holes in the end boards (I used a rabbet joint) and apply a finish to the platform and pegs. I used Easter egg dye to stain a variety of colored pegs, and made a couple of extras for replacing lost ones.

There is one tricky part: drilling the holes to match your dowel diameter. Ideally, the pegs fit tightly so that it takes some pounding to smash them through. This will entail some trial and error. You can imagine that too loose or too tight is no fun. I put kerfs in the ends of the pegs to ease entry into the holes.

Mark Gryn
08-12-2009, 4:03 PM
Thanks Dave - this looks like a fun toy for my kids (1 and 4). I'll make one up this weekend.

The colours look nice, but I'm pretty lazy about finishing so I'll probably end up just leaving it unfinished :)

cheers - mark

george wilson
08-12-2009, 4:20 PM
Maybe slit the dowels at each end more than halfway past the length. Slit the other end of the dowel the same,but rotate the dowel 90 degrees from the first slit. This will make the dowel compressible its whole length,to be pounded through the holes.

Chris Tsutsui
08-12-2009, 4:37 PM
Nice...

So after they pound the dowels flush with the top, they flip it over and pount it the other way?

harry strasil
08-12-2009, 5:18 PM
ok, I went a different route to help teach my 4 kids dexterity and thinking.

I took a small piece of sheet steel and tack welded different size bolts from 3/16 to 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch long , both fine and coarse thread to it, then mounted it on a piece of wood and had a box with a nut, flat washer and lock washer for each bolt.

Didn't take them long to get a washer, lock washer and nut on each short bolt.

Remember I was a Blacksmith till a coupla years ago.

David Winer
08-12-2009, 6:01 PM
Nice...

So after they pound the dowels flush with the top, they flip it over and pound it the other way?
You got it. For some reason, the little varmints like to do this.

george wilson
08-12-2009, 10:05 PM
That was once a common toy. I think I had one,or maybe my younger brother.

Richard Magbanua
08-21-2009, 1:13 PM
David,
Thanks for the great post!!! I finished one for my four-year-old son this morning. He loves it. The dowels were a bit tricky. I used dowels that were 9/16" and holes that were 1/2". I used George Wilson's advice and made kerfs with my band saw 90 deg to each other from opposite ends. This allowed the pegs to compress while keeping enough friction to make it seem like he's really hammering. As a bonus, I used mostly hand tools to make it. Time well "wasted". Thank you!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magbanua/sets/72157622102974046/