PDA

View Full Version : G0634 12” Jointer/Planer - Discontinued

Gary Venable
08-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I had been thinking about pulling the trigger on this but alas I have missed it. Strange since they have done so well in the reviews. I hope it is to replace it with another spiral head model.

I got confirmation from Grizzly CS today.

Dear Mr. Venable,

Thank you for your email dated August 12, 2009.

The G0634 12” Jointer/Planer with Spiral Cutterhead has been discontinued and is no longer available. The G0633 12” Jointer/Planer has not been discontinued.

If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to serving your future woodworking and metalworking needs.

Sincerely,

Nikki
Customer Service
Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

Shiraz Balolia
08-12-2009, 1:57 PM
Gary - sorry about the misinformation.

The G0634 with spiral cutterhead has changed to G0634Z with a new and slightly improved spiral cutterhead. This entailed a change in model numbers (adding the "Z" after the model number) and there should have been the appropriate notes in the computer to explain that.

There is one G0634 in our MO warehouse and the new G0634Zs are supposed to arrive in about 4 weeks. The machine itself remains unchanged. This is one of our good selling machines and very reliable - we just made the cutterhead better. Thanks.

george wilson
08-12-2009, 2:08 PM
Shiraz,have you seen the discussion going on in The Practical Machinist's Forum about Grizzly not being able to give delivery times on some machines,like the gunsmith's lathe?
Some folks are really getting aggravated.

It is in the Gunsmithing section,titled "Is Grizzly For Real?"

Kevin Murdock
08-12-2009, 2:09 PM
Hey Shiraz,

As always, thanks for the quick response to questions on Grizzly products here on the fourm.

As an owner of the current G634, I'm curious as to what on the G634Z cutterhead makes better. I'm happy with the cutterhead that I have, didn't know that I should want for more. :-)

So just curious as to if it's a performance change or more a lateral supplier related change.

Thanks,
-Kevin

Shiraz Balolia
08-12-2009, 2:17 PM
Hey Shiraz,

As always, thanks for the quick response to questions on Grizzly products here on the fourm.

As an owner of the current G634, I'm curious as to what on the G634Z cutterhead makes better. I'm happy with the cutterhead that I have, didn't know that I should want for more. :-)

So just curious as to if it's a performance change or more a lateral supplier related change.

Thanks,
-Kevin

A diferent manufacturing process that reduced the rejection rate. As you know, we check every cutterhead before it gets installed and after it is installed. The ones that end up on the machines are the good ones and that is why you are happy with yours. However, at some point if the ratio of rejection needs to be addressed, then a slight change in the manufacturing process is required, which in this case, made a slightly improved and diffferent cutterhead entailing a different model number for the machine.

Shiraz Balolia
08-12-2009, 2:26 PM
Shiraz,have you seen the discussion going on in The Practical Machinist's Forum about Grizzly not being able to give delivery times on some machines,like the gunsmith's lathe?
Some folks are really getting aggravated.

It is in the Gunsmithing section,titled "Is Grizzly For Real?"

Did you see a post by a guy named "Papagrizzly"? Its an older thread that was resolved quite well. We have those machines in stock.

george wilson
08-12-2009, 2:35 PM
Yes,I went back and read the post. I have always stuck up for Grizzly if you read my past comments. I've purchased at least 7 or 8 machines,and never any problem.

Gary Venable
08-12-2009, 2:45 PM
Shiraz,

Thanks so much for the quick response. I appreciate your willingness to address things on these forums. So am I understanding correctly that the change between a 634 and a 634Z is really a manufacturing change and not really a change that the end user will notice?

Thanks again

Gary

Kevin Murdock
08-12-2009, 3:06 PM
Hey Gary,

Shiraz did metion that there appears to be one (1) G634 in the MO warehouse, and you are located in Kansas City. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

PM's are your friend. Ya never know. :-)

-Kevin