PDA

View Full Version : Where does everyone buy???

John Terefenko
08-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Where does everyone buy their burl woods??? I am looking for some nice figured burl woods to make some ornaments with this year. I have used big leaf maple in the past and that worked well because I can stain it different colors. But also looking for other burls. Thanks for the replys. Some of the places I have looked at the prices are way too expensive. I know burls is more expensive but there has to be some reasonable priced places. Thanks and have a great turning day.

Brian Kent
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
This is not an answer to your question - just a memory.

When we traveled the coast of California in the '70's, there were many burl stands set up by the side of the road. Mostly redwood burls and a few others. We bought a set of 3 for some side tables for about $20 total, but the size needed for turning were just a few bucks.

I am wondering if they eventually ran out of the volume of available redwood burls needed to support multiple businesses.

They would always have at least one huge burl or slab completely finished and set on its side to attract customers from across the two-lane highway.

Steve Mawson
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
One way to get some highly figured wood is find the most common lumber with lots of knots. The are around the knots will have some very interesting grain and can yield some excellent wood. Not sure what size of projects you are making but this works well for small items. You can laminate if you need something thicker just paying attention to how the grain runs. Sometimes it is very hard to tell where the glue joints are located. I have used this technique on bird houses and pen blanks with good results. This kind of lumber is the cheapest you will find because all the flat work folks want clear boards.

David Christopher
08-12-2009, 1:05 PM
Check out these guys in south carolina...they have a great selection of woods and burls and some of the best prices around.....I have bought from them several times and if I need anything it the first place I check

http://www.turningblanks.net/servlet/StoreFront

Tim McClelland
08-12-2009, 1:09 PM
You can check out this site. I have been to his place in Massacusetts and he has a very nice selection.

http://www.burlsource.com/

curtis rosche
08-12-2009, 2:14 PM
depending on what part of jersey your are in. check out www.groffslumber.com (http://www.groffslumber.com) they dont advertise their burls very well on their site. but if you call or come out this way they have a good selection and they are very cheap. last time i went there i got 3 large burls for around 35$

Belton Garvin
08-12-2009, 7:40 PM
If you have the time to shop around, wait for deals and are familiar with bidding techniques, ebay works really well. There are some reputable dealers on there that commonly offer specials and bulk discounts. 2 that I deal with regularly is SpaCity Woodworks (spacitywood) and West Penn Hardwoods (westpennwood) I haven't had a problem with either of those and have won some killer deals.
The downfall to ebay is the large amount of bidders and what some people are willing to pay for that special pice of wood that they want/need. ALso watch shipping as it can really sneek up on you.

Jeff Nicol
08-13-2009, 6:33 AM
John, Most everything I turn is from the good ole' USA so if I can find it in the woods, at the dump, along the side of the road, from a tree service etc. that is where I get mine. If I buy a special burl I look to where the one that fits my wants/needs and buy it there. E-bay has some great suppliers and you get to look at lots of pieces. I have bought from NCwood on e-bay and they have great stuff. I also go to a local rockler or woodcraft store when they have things on closeout with 40-50% off and buy some pieces that way. The Australian burls are pretty pricey no matter where you go but they are very beautiful!! I paid $45.00 for a small (8"x10"x2.5") red mallee burl cap, turned it into a bowl with the natural burl bumps around the bowl and sold it for $135.00. So normally you can make back your investment.

Good luck with all the burls,

Jeff

Harvey Mushman
08-13-2009, 8:41 AM
If you are looking for some Aussie burl, try Double Dog Burl. Not too many people know about Double Dog. It is a sort of side business for the owners. They have some real nice jarrah, red mallee, coolibah and white top burl on hand. Turning blocks and burl caps. Slabs too! Lots of small burls to some very large ones. Great guy to deal with.

http://www.doubledogburl.com/