PDA

View Full Version : Is a damaged infeed table on a jointer a problem? --see pics

Greg L. Brown
08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello all,
I recently bought a used 8" jointer and just noticed the infeed table, closest to the cutterhead and fence, is "nicked." See attached pictures.

On the outfeed table, there look to be two small (pencil eraser size) "metal fill-in" areas. It looks as though there were pits in the table and they were filled in with some type of metal (they are smooth and appear to be ground flat). There's also an area on the outfeed table that also appears to have been nicked, but repaired.

This is my first jointer. Should I fix that nick on the infeed table and should I be concerned about the other repairs?

Thanks,
Greg

Fred Hargis
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM
My opinion is that if the tables are flat and the jointer is tuned and performs properly...don't worry about it. If those nicks have some sharp edges that cut your fingers while changing blades or such, I would probably break the edges a little (round them over with a file)

Jeffrey Makiel
08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Fred's opinion is spot-on.
-Jeff :)

Brad Townsend
08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
If this were a new purchase, I wouldn't accept it for purely cosmetic reasons. But as a used item, it doesn't appear to me that any of this will affect the function of the jointer in any way. Unless it indicates that the unit was abused and there is other hidden damage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Chip Lindley
08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
The *chip* out of the infeed table (no pun intended) is only a cosmetic condition. It is a small void and should not affect edge jointing--certainly not surface jointing! The filled-in holes are of no consequence except to remind you they are there. As long as the tables are flat and co-planar, your jointer should perform well.

IF you did not notice these defects before you bought the jointer and got it home...you'll scrutinize closer next time! I hope you didn't pay too much!

Rye Crane
08-12-2009, 2:24 PM
Gregg,

Just move that fence over a bit and you will forget it. As long as nothing hangs up on the entry into the cutterhead should be a nonproblem.

Good luck with your new jointer.

Rye Crane

george wilson
08-12-2009, 2:53 PM
Don't worry about those items. The millwork shop in Williamsburg spent $30,000.00 on a new Northfield thickness planer that had filled small voids in the infeed table. It didn't hurt anything,but for THAT kind of money,I would not have liked it!

I also had an old American made Heald milling machine where I worked. It had lead pounded into voids in the castings where the cross slide dovetails were machined. Oh!,old time American Quality!!!

jason lambert
08-12-2009, 3:00 PM
aggreed as long as the tables are flat not a problem.

Greg L. Brown
08-12-2009, 3:15 PM
Glad to hear it's not a big deal. I probably wasn't as careful when I looked at it because a jointer is a pretty simple machine. Still, I should look more carefully at used equipment before I buy

Paul Atkins
08-12-2009, 3:40 PM
I've got an old Grizzly 8" jointer with a couple of 'fill' areas too, so I'm guessing there were bubbles in the cast iron and they were filled at the factory. Someone launched a blade on mine and there are a few dents and dings that don't effect the operation but look ugly.

Matt Meiser
08-12-2009, 5:24 PM
I had a jointer that had edge damage like that and it didn't affect a thing. My current one has some marks (it came out of a school--"not me" must have done it) and again, they don't affect anything because the raised edges were filed down just leaving a few small gouges.

Peter Quinn
08-12-2009, 7:11 PM
I have a planer with some pretty deep grooves in the iron beds. The guy I bought it from used to make things from recycled wood and though he had gotten out all the nails! I honed off any burrs and it works fine. Looks like hell but not even a minor performance issue. I would ease that rough edge a bit on the infeed table and enjoy that tool.

C Scott McDonald
08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Looks like a blade came out of it when it was running more then anything. But like the rest have said if it is flat it is fine.

Make some saw dust with it,
Scott

Tom Veatch
08-13-2009, 2:56 AM
At the risk of cluttering the bandwidth with a "me, too", what the others have said is good advice. The imperfections you show should have no adverse effect on the tool's performance.

BTW, if you want to see "imperfections" in the "table" of some flattening tools, look at any of the "C" versions of the Bailey and Bedrock planes. They have deep longitudinal grooves intentionally machined into the soles. Much greater deviation from a smooth, unbroken surface that what you've pictured - and they work fine.