PDA

View Full Version : Saddle valves - are they safe?

Dan Mages
08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Good morning

Wifey and I purchased a nice new fridge to act as an overflow fridge (or lagering fridge, if you ask me) that we will put in the mud room. She would like the new fridge to be hooked up to water for ice and filtered water. The easiest way to supply water is a self tapping saddle valve attached to a pipe on the other side of the wall. I have heard mixed things about saddle valves in the past regarding their durability and being prone to leaks. Option #2 is to replace the valve in the hall bath and snake a water line from there. A bit more work and a PITA, but totally doable.

I guess the other question is regarding the water line itself. What type of line do you recommend, PEX, stainless, or copper?

Thanks!

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Dan,

I've been using saddle valves for 27 years.

When I gutted and remodeled our downstairs bathroom, I did plumb in a regular valve but only because I replacing all the plumbing in that bathroom. The refrigerator is located in a utility room on the other side of the wall from the vanity and with all the old plumbing removed, it was handy do solder in a replacement valve.

I've had no problems so far with saddle valves.

Matt Meiser
08-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Our humidifier is connected using one. I'd guess its been there since the early to mid 90's and hasn't caused me any trouble. When we had our furnace replaced last year it worked as needed.

Mitchell Andrus
08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Keep in mind, this isn't really a valve. It's a tap. Place a real valve next to it so you can shut off the water in case the appliance springs a leak. BEEN THERE!

Eric Gustafson
08-12-2009, 5:13 PM
I have replaced them... with real valves! :D

Rich Engelhardt
08-12-2009, 6:10 PM
Hello,
SharkBite fittings are one of the greatest inventions of all time for those of us that are solder challanged.
I'm not usre, but it sounds like you plan on tapping into something that may be covered by a wall.
I don't believe saddle T's can be used for covered applications.

OTOH - SharkBite fitings can be covered.

You can check them out at sharkbite.com.

Dan Mages
08-12-2009, 8:42 PM
I went to the borg and picked up a 10ft stainless steel hose with an auto shut-off valve if the hose ruptures and a saddle valve. Everything is set up and working fine.

Dan

Matt Meiser
08-12-2009, 9:50 PM
Hello,
SharkBite fittings are one of the greatest inventions of all time for those of us that are solder challanged.

I just plumbed a water filter in our camper which has PEX plumbing. But I couldn't get my crimping tool into the cramped space so I tried these--very easy. But VERY expensive. I think the two connectors cost me like $12. But as I replace copper in the house with PEX, I'll definitely be using these for the transitions instead of sweating transition fittings.

Greg Cuetara
08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I had a saddle valve hooked up to my humidifier in my basement. I had changed it out 3 times due to it leaking within a 5 year period. Eventually I went and got some sharkbite fittings and put in a ball valve instead. No leaks in the past 2 years and very easy to install even in very cramped quarters.

Greg

Al Willits
08-13-2009, 8:35 AM
Might check, in some places saddle valves are no longer code.

I'd go for something a bit less troublesome imho

Maybe a tee and a small ball valve

Al

mike holden
08-13-2009, 9:15 AM
Dan,
I will leave the source of water alone.
The tubing however, when my kitchen was remodeled, I had a fancy fridge installed with the icemaker/water dispenser, the factory supplied plastic tube became brittle and cracked/leaked about two years later. I replaced with a copper tube and it is still good ten years later.
The steel reinforced hoses are good too, I have them on all four of my toilets and the clothes washer.
Mike

Brian Elfert
08-15-2009, 11:23 PM
My parents had one of those for a humidifer. It started leaking and since the humidifier wasn't used my dad just removed it and repaired the pipe.

I wouldn't use a saddle valve. The plumber when my house was built used a real valve and fitting under the kitchen sink.

Bob Rufener
08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I have used saddle valves for years with no problems

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 8:50 AM
They look Cheesy as all get out but they work

\I think one constant you have to have is that the tap not be in a place where it's going to get bumped around. If you can't find a reletivaly quiet spot for it you might want to think about going with a more substantial ball valve.

That said, I have never seen one fail.