PDA

View Full Version : Used Epilog Radius

Tom Chenault
08-12-2009, 9:32 AM
Howdy Folks,
I'm new to the forum and have a question about value of used Epilog Radius being offered to me. I'm not sure the age but it is a 25 watt 18 X 24 inch with a rotary attachment and some other goodies. I will get more info today but wanted an idea of used value. From the Epilog site the last "owners manual" update was December 1998. Any thoughts?

Tom Bull
08-12-2009, 9:51 AM
Sort of like asking how much a 98 used car is worth. Hard to say. I bought my Epilog used and have been very happy with it. I looked for a long time and was able to test drive before I bought and knew what others were selling for so negotiated a fair price.
We are third owner of our machine and when we call Epilog they treat us just like we drove it off the showroom floor.

nancy barry
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I have no clue as to value.

Find out when the machine was made

Find out how many hours on the tube,; new tubes are expensive!

Look at the belts to see if they are missing teeth; it is hard to find replacement belts if Epilog does not have them in stock.

What OS does it use? do you have a machine that will run the correct OS?

good luck, nancyB

Peck Sidara
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Tom,

First things first, get the serial number of the Radius and contact our tech support group to learn of available parts, laser tube availability and cost of these replacements. The SN helps tech support cross reference current/previous owners as well.

Download the owners manual and read: http://www.epiloglaser.com/laser_manuals.htm

Download and install driver, available here:
http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads_radius.htm

Used price is *Heavily dependent on condition* and what's all included. I would estimate price to be <3K.

I would also check with Rob Bosworth at usedlasers dot com and Bill Neal at justlasers dot com as both of them offer warranties with their preowned laser systems and have the background/knowledge to properly refurbish the systems they offer.

The Radius was built from late 97' thru 99'.

HTH,

Tom Chenault
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks to all, particularly Peck. I've heard great things about Epilog and that is what I want to go with. We are currently in the business of commercial embroidery, (15 years), and have added rotary engraving in the last couple of years. The laser seems to be the way to go but I want to give it a try before investing in a newer machine. Learn the ropes on the cheap at first to make sure it is viable for us. We are licensed by Boy Scouts of America and I am a Scoutmaster for over 8 years of a large Troop, so there are lots of opportunities in our area through Scouting. This machine has not been used in roughly a year as the gentleman who ran it passed away. His wife is offering to sell it for "4-5k". Sounds like from Peck that this price may be a little high. The machine is cosmetically in great shape and I know the people. They have taken good care of it as with their other equipment, she still runs the sign business. I am happy to have found this forum and hopefully will become of some help to others in the future......gotta learn some first!

Scott Shepherd
08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Peck, off topic here, but you said the Radius was built from '97-'99. Is that typical for a model? Seems short. If so, just out of curiosity, what happened within the company that caused it only a 2 year production life?

No hidden meaning behind any of it, just curious. Perhaps some break through came along and a new platform replaced it, better, cheaper, faster?

Peck Sidara
08-12-2009, 1:10 PM
Peck, off topic here, but you said the Radius was built from '97-'99. Is that typical for a model? Seems short. If so, just out of curiosity, what happened within the company that caused it only a 2 year production life?

No hidden meaning behind any of it, just curious. Perhaps some break through came along and a new platform replaced it, better, cheaper, faster?

Steve,

Historically, production life of any particular model is typically 3-5 years but nothing is set in stone. The "work-horse" Summit was built from 94' thru 97' and was considered a great machine. Both Summit and Radius sold in record numbers.

There are alot of deciding factors that determine when a new model is released but I would say the two biggest factors are; 1) what the market dictates for price points/size/power/standard features 2) new faster/cheaper technology.

Scott Shepherd
08-12-2009, 6:09 PM
Thanks Peck, what replaced the Radius?

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing the order of machines, just to know about various models.

Where did it start all the way through current machines. I'd like to know that about any manufacturer, not just Epilog, but if you've got the time, I think it would be interesting.

Peck Sidara
08-12-2009, 6:56 PM
Steve,

Epilog celebrated our 20 year anniversary in 08'. We have this timeline flyer that shows the very first systems built up to the FiberMark & Zing but unfortunately I can't attach, as it's too big. I'll email it to ya.

The Legend series laser (Legend 24/32) replaced the Radius.

AL Ursich
08-13-2009, 9:04 PM
I pulled out my Epilog Profile to burn a small logo into some wood for a Tenor Ukulele for a friend.

I fumbled with the USB to Parallel converter for an hour.... I knew it was a Printer and Faxes Page Port Problem.... Called 303 215 9171 and in 30 seconds the tech had me click here and there and BEEP.... The job ran....

Just Like that.... Excellent Customer Service... I was a Happy Camper.....

None of this.... Please give us your credit card number so we can charge you to talk to a Tech like some computer companies.... OR Please Standby while your call is being transfered to the Call Center in India.....

Just like Peck Represents and many have said.... ANY Owner calling for help is treated like they bought a new machine from Epilog YESTERDAY....

Good Job !!!!

Thanks,

AL

Bob Davis
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
We used a Radius 25w very heavily for around 10 years and found it to be an excellent machine.
The replacement Helix 45w is better in a number of areas (mainly in the driver), but basicly functions in a very similar manner and speed.
The Radius finally died with an undetermined fault - almost certainly the mainboard. As it was over 10 years old I didn't consider it worthwhile to try to maintain it and it is now in landfill somewhere.
Depending on condition and use, a cheap Radius could be an excellent buy. It's very ruggedly built and our Synrad tube was still strong. The key aspect I think is that all electical machinery is temporary and after 10 years you are likely to start having problems. Don't pay too much!