PDA

View Full Version : Glass topped Humidor

Jim German
08-12-2009, 7:47 AM
I've been making a pair of humidors for some friends, and I've constructed them to have glass tops. I'm mostly finished with the first one, and for the top in that I mitered the four sides and then cut a slot for the glass in it. (picture of the top (http://www.voidsmith.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=26642)) However when in the process of glueing it up I managed to crack the glass. Not to big a deal, I pulled it apart put a new piece in, and finished gluing it up being a bit more careful. However it occurred to me that if the glass breaks at some point in the future I won't be able to replace it.

So for the second humidor was wondering if there would be a better way to do it. I've considered just making a rabbit in the back of the top and putting the glass in with some glazing points jsut like in a regualr window, but then I'd have to make up some trim to cover it, which I wasn't thrilled about.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best way to go about this is? Keeping in mind that I'd like the glass to be airtight?

Ed Sallee
08-12-2009, 8:36 AM
Hi Jim,

Try this out..... Might do the job for ya. Don't use glue. Cut your grooves and stuff as shown and then use a strip 1/8" thick, 1/4" wide and squeeze it in there. Holds very well and should provide for the seal that you're looking for. You can adjust as needed.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/b.jpg

Jim German
08-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks Ed, but it says the picture has been deleted.

Edit: Works now, odd.

Any suggestions for wood type for the strip? I'm using pear wood for the outside, but spanish cedar of course for the inside.

Ed Sallee
08-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Had some wrong stuff on it.... so, I re-did it.... You must have been looking just as I was fixing....

George Bregar
08-12-2009, 1:12 PM
Instead of changing the construction, use tempered glass.

Joe Leigh
08-12-2009, 2:43 PM
I agree with the tempered glass.

Jim German
08-12-2009, 3:45 PM
Tempered glass wouldn't really solve the problem. You can still break tempered glass, its just more difficult, and more importantly when it does break it doesn't break into sharp pieces. Plus the fact that you can't cut it makes it much more difficult to use in a project.