PDA

View Full Version : Local Lumber $

Steve Southwood
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
This all started looking for some small pieces of purpleheart. I make some calls to local hardwood suppliers. Couple are still thinking I am crazy, for asking for purpleheart. Well I find the right group, couple matter of fact. One tells me I need to order 500 to 1000 BF. No thanks, I say. The next guy ask me to come up when I have time. Well today I show up. We look around all his stuff, he asks what I want the PH for. Now I am just looking for a few small pieces to make a couple of cutting boards. This guy has it all. Boards going in all directions. Here is the prices he gave me.

Brazilian Cherry $3
Bolivian Rosewood $6
Santos Mahogany $3.50
Genuine Mahogany $3.50
Padouk $6
Tiger Wood $4
Bloodwood $6

So what do you think? Pretty good prices?

Oh and for the cutting board stuff, he took my phone # and will call when he has a bunch of off fall and scraps. I can have those.:)

Right now I am loving life. (I ask, he will not ship.)

Steve Rozmiarek
08-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Steve, those are a heck of a lot better than anything out here... I'm contemplating a road trip!

If that genuine mahogany is swietna (sp?), I think thats a a heck of a deal!

Steve Southwood
08-12-2009, 7:09 AM
I should have added this is for 4/4 and 5/4. He said is Mahogany price is low, due to this was from a seized shipment. He won it thru the US Marshall's bidding program. The price will go back up once these pieces are gone.

Jim German
08-12-2009, 7:52 AM
Those look like great prices to me, Hearne hardwoods is pretty local to me, and you can see their prices (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html) are quite a bit higher. They do have a crazy good selection though, and are very helpful and friendly.