PDA

View Full Version : Deskunking a dog

Bob Weisner
09-07-2004, 2:42 PM
What should I use to get the Skunk smell off of my dogs? Last night at about 9.P.M., I put my dogs outside for a few minutes. About 4-5 minutes later, I had a VERY STRONG SMELL OF SKUNK COME POURING THROUGH THE WINDOWS!!!! Now, I have smelled Skunks before, but this one was REALLY BAD!!!!!!! ALMOST HAD TEARS IN MY EYES!! Don't know which one got hit, but they both needed a bath!!! I just used regular Hartz dog shampoo with the Flea killer in it. Will that work? Tried using a little Vinegar in the water, too. This is the 5th time in the past 2 weeks that a Skunk has sprayed in my front yard. The really bad part is the fact that I can STILL SMELL IT IN THE HOUSE!! Any suggestions as to what to do?

Thanks,

Bob

Mark Singer
09-07-2004, 2:45 PM
Tomato juice is supposed to work pretty good!

Dave Right
09-07-2004, 2:51 PM
I agree - tomato juice

Bob Hovde
09-07-2004, 2:57 PM
Tomato juice works, but I got something from the Vet that worked better. (Sorry. It was too long ago to remember the name.) It was a powder that you mix in the bath. I used it to wipe down the couch, carpet, etc. that the dog rubbed on trying to get the smell off. Only time really gets rid of the smell. :(

Bob

Lee Schierer
09-07-2004, 3:43 PM
Tomato juice did very little to deskunk our cat when it got sprayed. It did turn the kitty a nice pink color, but the odor was still there and would still make your eyes water.

A while back this same question came up on another forum and here is the naswer for a better deskunk formula. Deskunk solution (http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/messages.pl?noframes;read=173993)

Bob Weisner
09-07-2004, 4:26 PM
HI:

Just got done giving both dogs a bath. I used a different shampoo on each dog to see which one would work best. The green bottle of Hartz flea and tick shampoo worked , but can still detect a slight odor. On my German Shorthair Pointer, I used the tan bottle of Hartz. It has coal tar in it. That shampoo got rid of all the odor. Now, I just have to find some air freshener that will get rid of the skunk smell that drifted into the house. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I never thought that a dog that weighs 70 pounds could somehow weigh like a ton of bricks when you want to put them in the bathtub. LOL.

Thanks,

Bob

Stefan Antwarg
09-08-2004, 6:37 AM
I can't imagine the physical pain my skin would go through if I attempted to put my cat in the tub!

Stefan

Lee Schierer
09-08-2004, 10:40 AM
I can't imagine the physical pain my skin would go through if I attempted to put my cat in the tub!

Stefan

there is no pain involved in washing your cat if you follow these instructions:

Thoroughly clean the toilet.

Add the required amount

of shampoo to the toilet water,

and have both lids lifted.

Obtain the cat and soothe him

while you carry him towards

the bathroom.

In one smooth movement,

put the cat in the toilet

and close both lids.

There is no need to scrub as

the cat will self agitate.

(you may need to stand on

the lid so that he cannot escape).

When the cat has raised a good

amount of suds,

Flush the toilet three or four times.

Have someone open the door

to the outside and ensure

that there are no people

between the toilet and the

outside door.

Stand behind the toilet as far

as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely, The DOG

Joe Mioux
09-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Lee:

You had me in tears with the "how to wash a cat instructions"

Thanks for a good laugh

joe

Rich Konopka
09-08-2004, 1:22 PM
Just heard on the radio this morning that it is a skunky year and all of the little skunks are branching out looking for those yummy grubs aka beetles. About 2 years ago, I had a skunk problem in the yard feasting on the grubs. I used Grub-ex and Milky spore. No more skunks !! Oh, it also took care of those darn moles as well.

FWIW

John Miliunas
09-08-2004, 1:39 PM
there is no pain involved in washing your cat if you follow these instructions:

Thoroughly clean the toilet.

Add the required amount

of shampoo to the toilet water,

and have both lids lifted.

Obtain the cat and soothe him

while you carry him towards

the bathroom.

In one smooth movement,

put the cat in the toilet

and close both lids.

There is no need to scrub as

the cat will self agitate.

(you may need to stand on

the lid so that he cannot escape).

When the cat has raised a good

amount of suds,

Flush the toilet three or four times.

Have someone open the door

to the outside and ensure

that there are no people

between the toilet and the

outside door.

Stand behind the toilet as far

as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely, The DOG

Lee, I owe you BIG TIME for this one! I *was* trying to eat my lunch. Now I have tears in my eyes, Diet Coke comin' out my nose and the rest of my chips all over my desk! :eek: :cool:

Paul Downes
09-08-2004, 4:17 PM
Lee, do you happen to have some latent dislike for poor little kitties? :D This reminds me of one of my favorite Gary Larson cartoons. The one with the dog hiding behind the washing machine with the sign pointing in the door that says "cat fud". Dogs thought "ohh please, ohh please". :D

I once dispatched a trapped skunk with a .22 while down wind. It's a funny thing. Skunk essence is an oil that takes a minuet or 2 before it oxidizes in the air. I couldn’t figure out why there was mist in the air. Ohhhhhh crap.

Lee Schierer
09-08-2004, 4:36 PM
Lee, do you happen to have some latent dislike for poor little kitties?

Actually we have a cat or he has us :D My sister in law originally sent this to me.

Skunks can also dispense their scent with all four feet off the ground when being held by the tail. DAMHIKT :eek: