PDA

View Full Version : cutting mirror

bill gervais
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Hello all,

Well my first attempt at engraving was a success. After reading many previous post i decided to engrave without the soap and towel. Used recommended glass settings engraved from the back. I was a little surprised at the amount of light generated while engraving, so much so that i put a black backing under the mirror thinking it was reflection from the table. Did not notice any change. My question has anyone tried cutting mirrored glass (not with the laser obviously) with any success what technique was used? I bought the Home Depot beveled glass that a fellow Creeker suggested just to play around but my project would require 10" round.

Tim Bateson
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
If your project requires a round mirror my suggestion is to buy a round mirror. I'm not sure how the glass shops do it, but I've only had success with cutting straight edges on glass & mirrors.

Also, I don't use anything when engraving the back of mirrors either.

Randy Walker
08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Bill
Here is a You Tube video on cutting a glass circles. I would imagine that mirror would cut the same as any glass. Hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7pVZt5c80M

Randy Walker

Tom Bull
08-12-2009, 9:45 AM
I have done glass for 30 years in the stained glass field. That requires all kinds of shapes to be cut.
Is this piece you want going to be in a frame? If yes, then you can give it a go to cut. If no, then you will need the technology to finish the edge. To cut a circle without the tool shown on the video, make a pattern of the circle from heavy paper, adhere it to the glass (I use 3M super 77 spray adhesive) and score around the paper with a glass cutter. The paper serves as a physical guide for the cutter wheel. You can also use a ultra fine point sharpie pen and draw the circle and cut from the drawing.
If you are not skilled at glass cutting you can expect this to not work the first time. The keys to cutting glass are: a good cutter that is correct for the thickness and type of glass you are cutting; proper pressure on the cutter as you score the glass; and LOTS of oil on the score line. When cutting circles I literally douse the score line area with oil (3in1 household oil is OK.)
If this is a framed circle of mirror, just get some double strength mirror to cut from. It cuts easier than a bevel which is thicker. The HD might have 12 in. mirror tiles that are not beveled. If the mirror will be in a moist area, be sure to use mirror edge sealant to keep the edge of the mirror from going black after a year or two. Can be obtained at a glass shop. You might be able to get them to just paint your piece rather than buying a can.
Blessings to you on your endeavor. Cutting glass is not hard, but it is a knack that can only be gained by trial and error. Remember the biggest variable is cutting pressure. If you have a good cutter (not dollar store!) and lots of oil just keep trying to you learn to hear the sound of a good score. Then bend the glass as he did on the video, it will only break with that sort of backside upwards pressure. Breaking pliers are invaluable for intricate cuts, but you can get by without them for gross cutting.