PDA

View Full Version : major gloat. steady rest almost complete

curtis rosche
08-11-2009, 5:56 PM
well. i was trying to find a way to get the metal i bought welded for my steady rest. my brother cant do it for me. he wont have access to a welder for another 4 weeks. so i looked for a local weld shop. i went back to the one where i bought the steel. showed him what i needed. he asked me when i wanted it done, i said i doesnt matter its not an urgent thing. he said he had other things to work on, so i said "I can weld, can i do?" he said sure you can try. so i got it all welded up how i wanted. took me an hour and a half, but i didnt know where everything in the shop was, and i wasnt about to use their automatic bandsaw or their drill press. it was all pretty easy. then the best part. i was done and i asked how much it cost me, i had used extra metal from what i already had, and some nuts and bolts. plus using their machines. the total? $10:eek::eek::cool: i couldnt beleive it. i offered him some more but he said no. they wouldve charged me $37 and hour if i hadnt done it my self. so the running total for this steady rest, metal $11 + skates $5 + metal and welding from today $10 = $26 i didnt think i could be done for that cheap when i started.

heres the pictures of it.
i know the arms arent angled. but the ones on the side are below center, so it works out just the same.

Steve Schlumpf
08-11-2009, 6:07 PM
Curtis - looks like you are off to a great start! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

Please remember to work safe! :D

Richard Madison
08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Looks good so far Curtis. You may want to add some gussets in the corners, but might not be necessary. Amazing that you got all that steel for $11. Keep us posted.

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Looks like you are on your way Curtis. Make sure you post the finial version.

Jarrod McGehee
08-12-2009, 3:13 AM
Lookin good man!

curtis rosche
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
one thing i did forget when i welded this. long sleeves. i got a welders tan/burn on one arm now.

alex carey
08-12-2009, 1:12 PM
congrats, looks pretty hefty.

Mike Svoma
08-12-2009, 1:50 PM
Not to be too over-critical Curtis, but with the two outside wheels located even with the horizontal centerline of your spindle, doesn't this effectively remove any bottom support that should be provided from the steady rest to the piece being turned? I believe that is why every other (3 wheeled) steady rest, that I have ever seen, has the bottom two wheels located at 120 degrees from each other, below the centerline of the spindle. It just looks like it may be dangerous this way, IMO.

Mike

curtis rosche
08-12-2009, 2:09 PM
Mike. the 2 bottom wheels are below center by 2.5'' so they will will/should support the turning. if i find that it doesnt support it well enough i can easily go back to the shop and weld up another arm attachment.