PDA

View Full Version : Performax Drum Out of Balance

Doug Murray
08-11-2009, 1:21 PM
I bought an older (mid-90's) Performax 16-32 drum sander and noticed a vibration during start-up and shut-down. Once it is up to speed, I don't notice much vibration on the drum. I suspect it lost a balance weight but I can't tell where it was if it did lose one.

Has anyone had this happen and if so, what did you do about it? Have you tried to balance one yourself? For a number of good reasons, going back to the seller isn't an option. Thoughts?

Doug

Kyle Iwamoto
08-11-2009, 1:53 PM
Do you have both of the sandpaper clips? I don't think there is a balance weight anywhere. The only thing I can think of is one clip is missing. Mine does not vibrate at all. Perhaps a bunch of dust is packed in the drum. Blow it out with some compressed air.

J.R. Rutter
08-11-2009, 2:16 PM
You might also replace the belt and check the sheaves.

Dan Lee
08-11-2009, 2:45 PM
I recently replaced the rubber spider that goes between the shaft couplers on my 2004 16-32. Made a big difference on startup and spin down

Doug Murray
08-11-2009, 5:31 PM
All clips are in place in the drum and I do have balance weights still inside. Dan, what were the symptoms you were seeing with the bad spider? I'm only seeing serious vibration during spin-up and spin-down with very little vibration once it is up to speed. Is that what you saw?

Dan Lee
08-11-2009, 6:23 PM
An excessive clunking noise had developed on spin up/down and some vibration. The spider was worn down and there was a lot of slop in the 2 shaft couplers. For me it was a pretty cheap part( <$15 or so?).
I'm not familiar with your vintage of machine is it a direct drive?

Doug Murray
08-12-2009, 1:01 PM
I'm not getting any clicking that I can identify but I get that vibration I mentioned earlier. Once it is up to speed, I can feel some small vibration if I touch the housing but it isn't so bad it shakes the whole sander.

Has anyone had to balance their drum either by sending it out or doing it themselves?

Clarence Miller
02-25-2010, 11:29 PM
You might also replace the belt and check the sheaves.
What do you mean by "sheaves" I just got my new toy up and going with a new power switch but it shakes really excessively. I assume it has to due the dust packed (and I mean packed) in the drum. I will continue the project tomorrow night but if anybody has any ideas they are most welcome.
CW

Kyle Iwamoto
02-26-2010, 1:49 AM
No belt or sheaves, this unit is direct drive. Blow out the dust with a compressor.

This is an old post.......