PDA

View Full Version : Free TS Gloat

Michael Ballent
09-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Last week I posted that I could get a free tablesaw, and as the unwritten rules state I have pics of the saw... It still needs a lot of TLC to get it up running well. The only real thing that I need to fix is that it will let bevel the blade, but the handle turns freely when you want to get it back into 90º. You need to read into the saw to turn the screw to get it back to 90º

Alan Turner
09-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Boy, that sure does look like my Dad's old 9" TS taht I grew up using. Had to set the fence at both front and back. His did not have a pedestal stand, however. When we had special wood, we used a hollow ground blade. That was before carbide.
Enjoy, safely, of course.
Alan

Bruce Page
09-07-2004, 3:00 PM
Michael, that is way cool! I have never seen one like that, do you know the vintage?

Michael Ballent
09-07-2004, 4:22 PM
Best guess based on OWWM is from the early 60' or late 50's. I have not tried a 10" blade yet, but it does power up, although from a switch on the motor behind the saw... so Pre-OHSA for sure.

Mike Cutler
09-07-2004, 4:51 PM
That saw is really cool looking. I love that retro deco 50's styling to the cabinet. The swooping style of the side of the saw looks like the rear quarter panels of 57 Chrysler Imperial,and that big ol' fat boy motor hanging off the back is da' bomb.
I see the saw with a two tone fade job, deep pearl, hand rubbed and laquered,fading to a metallic turquoise, some 3" cans and..... Sorry, got carried away. I love old cars and old machines.
Be sure and give us pics when you have it all souped up and running.

Chris Padilla
09-07-2004, 5:59 PM
My neighbor's father has that very same saw. He is an old retired trim carpenter and he has his built into a little roll-around cabinet. Now his is over his son's house every weekend helping him remodel a couple of rooms and he always wheels this out of his van and sets it up in the driveway. Very cool...I had to walk over and take a close look at it.

Chris Padilla
09-07-2004, 6:03 PM
I love old cars and old machines.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8002

Scroll to the bottom and you'll be in for a small treat! :)

Sparky Paessler
09-07-2004, 6:43 PM
That looks like the saw I grew up with in my Dad's shop! I believe it was made by King Sealy for Craftsman. He still has it, cast iron extention wings and all. Will probably be in my shop someday. I already have the matching 6" jointer. Great find!

Tyler Howell
09-07-2004, 7:07 PM
Wow Mike! Very.............. interesting.:rolleyes: And the price was right.

Would love to have it just for a conversation piece.;)

Wes Bischel
09-07-2004, 8:55 PM
Way too cool! I really miss the Design in tools.

Actually a hammertone in gold fits just fine. :D

Wes

Mike Cutler
09-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Chris. That is a great saw. So were the others featured in that thread. I saw one for sale at a flea market here for $250 without the motor or all the guards. It was in pretty rough shape, but I still wanted to bring it home, but I have enough projects on the plate for now. I love the styling of the WT's, that open harp is just beautiful. I also ran across an old Oliver tablesaw for sale on Long Island, but it was gone before I could even call about it.
I like the features of the current generation of WW machines, and contrary to popular opinion, they are just as capable as the older ones, but something about about the individual styling, and asthetics of the different manufacturers from 50+ years ago just strikes an appealing cord with me.
I'd love tto have a late 40's early 50's Delta/Rockwell TS, with the Frank Lloyd Wright "Falling Water" motif cabinet.
We can always dream eh.

Bart Leetch
09-07-2004, 10:49 PM
That I believe is a 10" saw was made sometime between 1954 & 1957 my Dad's is a 10" that he purchased brand new in 1955. His is complete accept for the motor which I now have. Your motor is a 1 hp motor I can't see the right side but it is probable a motor with a shaft out both sides.

My Dad has a 2 hp motor on his saw & a late model TS2424 Ridgid table-saw fence will fit it you can offset it to 36" to the right side of the saw. When you get this saw cleaned up & adjusted with wings & a good fence you'll have a real good saw. :) :) :)

I forgot to mention Dad also has the matching 6" jointer.

Here is a picture of my 12" band-saw. That will go alongside Dads table-saw & Jointer. I'm not really looking forward to that day because that means Dad will not be with us anymore.

Michael Ballent
09-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Yep there is a shaft on both sides of the motor... I have never seen something like that before... Happen to have any idea what would be causing the blade to be allowed to tilt to the 45º but not allow it to return. Your bandsaw certainly looks like it came from the same time... The pedastal is a give away... I would not be surprised if the saw was from the 1955. The man that lived in the house next door was 88 when he passed away 2 years ago and he was the original owner and a machinist for Firestone by trade... I will be looking forward to restoring it, when I find time.

Bart Leetch
09-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Michael

Try scrubbing the threaded shafts that tilt & raise & lower the blade with a brush & some kind of solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner that will leave no residue, then rub down with a block of paraffin.