PDA

View Full Version : please help... quick question

Trish Krachun
09-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi,

My name is Trish and I am new to this forum. I'm not even sure I'm in the right place, maybe you can tell me.

My neighbor has a HUGE Walnut Tree that she wants to get rid of. I have a special interest in her getting rid of this tree as it drops tons of leaves in my pool:(

Anyway, we heard that Walnut Trees are great for making furniture, so I tried contacting furniture mills who referred me to saw mills, but I can't find anyone who makes furniture easily on the internet search engines.

Can you help answer these questions:

1. Is there anyone out there who will safely remove this 60-70ft tree? The diameter at the bottom is approx 3 ft and it's very straight from what I can tell.
2. Is this something that she should get paid for? If not, would someone cut it down for free if they're going to use it to make furniture?

Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it... even if you're just referring me to someone who can help.

Trish

Dave Right
09-07-2004, 1:08 PM
The first question everyone will want to know is where is this tree.
What city,state?

Trish Krachun
09-07-2004, 1:10 PM
sorry.... Neshanic, NJ (upper central NJ)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-07-2004, 1:47 PM
Trish, to quickly answer your questions for ya:

1. There are plenty of Tree Services around that are qualified and capable of removing this tree. May be costly depending on location, risk factor, accessability, etc.

2. Most sawyers (Guys that buy wood to saw into lumber, lumber mill operators) shy away from city trees, due to the fact that many times there are nails, wire, occasional fence post and other assorted metal imbedded in city trees. Hitting a nail while sawing the log into lumber will many times damage or ruin an expensive blade. Now, you may be able to find a local "hobbiest" sawyer that will either buy the log, or process it for you.

Is the log worth anything? That depends on several things, and one would almost have to inspect the log in person to really tell how much value it may have. More times than not, Walnut logs are not the gold mine many people will lead you to believe they are. If I was closer, I would be interested in taking a look at the log................but for me, it would be quite a drive! :D

I hope I answered a few of your questions Trish. Welcome aboard the Creek, and good luck with getting rid of the Tree that likes your pool SO much! ;)

Greg Tatum
09-07-2004, 3:46 PM
Hi Trish...maybe this article will help you....there is a contact person at bottom
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/misc/utilizingmunitrees/Partnerships.htm

There is a program in some states called Trees to Furniture that does just what you are talking about..here is one article on it
http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?page=arc&id=4155.

Also, there is an article with a list of participating states in either Wood or American Woodworker magazines...can't remember which...maybe 2 yrs ago.....anyone remember this?

Hope this helps

Greg

JOHN HANCOCK
09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Trish,

I agree with the posts received thus far, especially the previous one. You may find a private sawyer to take the tree down for the wood, but you may be more successful if there is an existing state or local program.

I had a large walnut tree here in California that I wanted removed several years ago and got ahold of someone who came out to look at it. He said that what he looked for in order to remove a walnut tree for the wood, or actually pay for it, was burl wood. Burl is a strange looking growth at the base of the tree. It generally looks like the tree's own weight caused it to bulge and spread out at the bottom. It isn't too hard to confuse exposed root bases with burl but burl usually is present all around the base of the tree.

If the tree does have burl wood, and is large, she might expect to get someone to take the tree out, pay her. People with the right connections can sell the root burl to companies that will slice it into expensive veneer. Large burls can be worth several thousand dollars.

Hopefully, the tree has a large burl but unfortunately, this is the exception rather than the rule. Good luck on your quest.