PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a quality desk

Greg Magone
08-11-2009, 1:35 AM
I am writing this post on a desk made from Cherry wood stained with a walnut finish. It's made by Winner's Only, purchased from Costco Home.

The desk is getting a little worn on the surface. I've taken very good care of it but sliding papers across the desk for 4 years now has worn down the clear finish on top of the desk.

What do I use to refinish the surface and give it the protectant that it needs while keeping the quality of the desk? I don't want it to look plastic (aka water based polyurethane) but I also want something that will look beautiful and last for a long time.

Thanks, Greg

Mike Cruz
08-11-2009, 7:50 AM
As a rule, refinishing decreases its value as an antique, so I wouldn't do it! :D

Sorry, I don't really have an answer, I just couldn't resist. Actually, oil based poly is about the toughest product out there. So that would work. But if you hate the look of poly, as many creekers do, (I don't mind so much) you could always do a finish that is compatable with the original finish (laquer or whatever...I don't know what Costco furniture pieces have on them) and then spend the money on getting a custom piece of glass to top and protect it. Maybe not the best solution, but ONE non the less...better than my first smart a$$ answer anyway....

Howard Acheson
08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
No reason you can't just wipe on a couple of coats of a non-poly oil based varnish.

First, wipe the surface down with mineral spirits and wipe dry with lots of paper towels. This will remove any gunk or contaminates that may be on the surface. Next, scuff sand the surface with 320 paper until is it s uniform gray. Vacuum off the sanding dust.

Thin your varnish about 50/50 with mineral spirits. Using a clean rag, lightly wet it with your varnish. The rag should not be dripping. Think of the kid at Denny's who wipes off your table. The rag should just damp. Wipe on in circles until the top is uniformly covered, then leave it alone. Once it become dry to the touch, wipe on another coat. Let it fully dry 24 hours and then lightly flat sand with 320 paper on a sanding block. Dust and apply one finish wiped on coat. Let it fully dry for 7-10 days before you put anything on top of the finish. Treat it gently for a couple of more weeks. It takes 3-4 weeks for an oil based finish to fully cure and develop full protective qualities.

Frank Drew
08-11-2009, 8:26 PM
Gel varnish would work, too.

[But finishing cherry with a walnut stain... ? :eek:]

Michael Schwartz
08-11-2009, 8:55 PM
1. Take a close look at the extent of the damage, is the clear coat just scuffed or scratched up? . If there is no damage that is deep enough that it is through the clear coat you can just repair it. If it looks like you can repair the clear coa the best thing to do would be to determine the type of finish and then go from there. Each type of finish would have its own slightly different methods for bringing it back.

2. If there is damage to the wood surface and the clear coat is beyond repair you will probably want to strip the finish off chemically. At this point you can repair any damage and stain to match the surrounding wood. A note about cherry is that any lighter sections will probably never catch up. It is possible to sand a finish off but it is much easier to strip it chemically.

3. I know allot of people would have the inclination to sand away the walnut stain. Sanding away a dark stain will involve substantial material removal based on how deep the penetration is. Veneered surfaces would present another problem here if they exist. The most strait forward thing to do would be to strip the clear coat, repair any surface damage, stain to match, and re finish with a new clear coat.

4. Be very careful if you have any veneered surfaces, such as a plywood top or panels. It is very easy to sand/scrape through veneer so I would find any of these surfaces before you start.

5. Finishing a desk is a good sized project, probably too much to take out in a weekend. Make sure you have a well ventilated, clean, brightly lit place where you can leave the project for a few days until it is done properly and while you work on it. Make sure you can keep the area at an appropriate temperature while finish cures.

Take your time if you want to do it right, don't pick a complicated finish. Pick something you know you can do right. This would not be a good project to learn how to french polish, and lacquer can present difficulty. A polyurethane, or wipe on oil or varnish are probably your best bet.