PDA

View Full Version : How do you justify woodworking?

Greg Magone
08-11-2009, 1:06 AM
OK, here is a very difficult question for me to answer.

I am a deal shopper and a Craigslist addict. I can find tremendous deals on (used) furniture on Craigslist - and furniture that is in nearly new condition.

I also have the opportunity to work overtime at my employer (Boeing) at hourly rates that I can't complain about.

So how do I justify woodworking? It would be cheaper for me to buy some of the fantastic deals I see on furniture on Craigslist. And it'd be more profitable for me to work overtime at my company than to spend time on my table saw building wood projects.

But I love woodworking, too. It's a hobby of mine and nothing makes me happier than when I head out the woodshop and the aroma of fresh cut wood is in the air.

Appreciate any feedback anyone has on this question. Surely I'm not the first person that has had to try to justify the value of woodworking to himself / herself.

Greg

Mike Henderson
08-11-2009, 1:10 AM
If you like (and need) the furniture on Craigslist and it's a good bargain, you should buy it. If you like to do woodworking, you should do woodworking to the limits of your time.

The two do not necessarily conflict.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2009, 1:13 AM
Mike pretty well said everything that needs to be said.

Cliff Furman
08-11-2009, 1:30 AM
Justify woodworking? It's cheaper than a Shrink!

Larry Marley
08-11-2009, 1:38 AM
I woodwork because I have always wanted to. It is time for me, time to be creative, time to relax. Most of my projects become gifts, so it is a way to feel good about giving and the joy of a thank you. I rarely make two of a kind. I like the problem solving, the planning, and the pursuit of perfection that is always just out of reach because as I improve, my perception of perfection changes from joinery to content to form.
I like learning from others and sharing what I have learned.
It's what I do...

Oh, and Craig's list is for tools.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-11-2009, 1:40 AM
Greg, here's how I justify woodworking. Life is more than making money, and when that pursuit starts to interfere with living, it's time to take a break. I use woodworking as a release of pent up creativity, which really helps the stress go away. To put it another way, I don't play golf, and don't want to pay a shrink, so woodworking keeps me somewhat more sane.

Honestly, if my woodworking where a business, my yearly project output would have to sell for an average of $20,000 each to stay in the black. That's not going to happen, so to me, woodworking is just about the enjoyment of doing something creative. Heck, sometimes I even build something wonderful that someone will pay me for!

Philip Johnson
08-11-2009, 1:41 AM
Why do you have to justify it, its a hobby and something that should be enjoyable and fun. If everything had to be justified I don't think people would fish or hunt or ride motorcycles, buy boats campers or airplanes. There are a lot more expensive hobbies that don't create anything useful.

Greg Magone
08-11-2009, 1:47 AM
I really do love woodworking.

My father was a forester with Plum Creek Timber Company and spent his time in the woods trying to put values of standing timber. Almost all of this wood was used for construction, consisting of pine, fir, and larch.

We used wood heat to heat our home growing up for many years. Eventually we switched to wood pellets.

My father wasn't political. However, the one sign I saw in our yard growing up said "this family supported by timber dollars", with the letters painted on locally manufactured plywood.

I continued the wood tradition by learning how to do woodcraft in 4-H (hint: work with your local youth organizations to teach the craft to the new generation) and entered many projects in the county fair. This tradition will continue this year with the Puyallup Fair in Puyallup, WA.

Today, I am working on furnishing an entire house with various pieces of furniture, including coffee tables, end tables, bedroom furniture, and other assorted pieces. I'm using oak, maple, cherry, and other woods, all bought at bargain prices from my local wood sources.

The only disappointment is I have to admit that the wood cost alone is greater than what I would pay fo the same piece of furniture bought at Craigslist or a discount store (aka Ikea). I'd like to say that I'm saving our family a ton of money by building it myself, but alas, I know that is not quite true.

In the end, it's a hobby and I do enjoy it and that is what is most important. I wish I could say that the cost of my tools is justified by the savings in building my own furniture, but I don't think that is the case. But I think that is the way with many hobbies, and I do have the satisfaction of knowing this one helps furnish our home.

Denny Rice
08-11-2009, 2:37 AM
Woodworking is more than saving a couple of bucks on a piece of furniture on Craigslist. Its about a passion, a joy of creating something from a pile of wood that cannot be described. I am 42 yrs old and have been working with wood in a woodshop setting since I was 13 years old. Also when you purchase a piece of furniture, your buying something someone else has created. When you create it with your own hands, you make things your kids will fight over once your dead and gone. In a sense, you could live forever in your woodworking projects. Just a thought.:)

Tom Hintz
08-11-2009, 2:47 AM
If you have to justify any hobby outside of enjoying it, maybe that one is not for you. I used to run a chain of sporting goods stores and have heard all of the well thought out justifications for fishing and hunting which are pretty much like the justifications for any hobby.

If you look at the overall expense of doing any hobby, it is not likely that much money will be saved by doing it. The actual cost of fish per pound or meat per pound that come from hobby-type fishing or hunting would scare government buyers.

Woodworking just might be the best deal in the hobby world if you do a lot of projects for the house that the house actually needed. I have used my equipment to remodel four rooms in our home so far and have the remaining room on the schedule for "eventually". That effort is actually saving money but I have no idea if that savings has paid for the equipment or not and I am not going to add it up. I don't want to know the answer.

If you enjoy woodworking, that should be all of the justification for doing it. If you buy your tools off Craiglilst or from a local retailer is up to you. But, you have to enjoy the hobby to justify doing it.

Myk Rian
08-11-2009, 7:06 AM
I don't justify woodworking by making furniture.
Instead, I make things for others, and have fun doing it.
I'm retired and have to do something besides sit around the house.

Peter Quinn
08-11-2009, 7:16 AM
Justify your hobby shop? Never occurred to me I should have to. You shouldn't either. Unless you are running a business that needs to show a profit or income at some level, I'd take a deep breath and let that thought go. I do it because I love it, and that is enough justification for me.

Mike Cruz
08-11-2009, 7:37 AM
CL is very addicting. No doubt. Use that passion to persue your other one...woodworking. Get tools, equipment, wood on CL. Find your deals rather than buying new...there is some justification.

CL is a great way to get furniture. But the reason that people get custom pieces made by WW shops is because they need something they can't find anywhere else. Sure you could buy an end table from an antique store that would...well, work. But take that idea and make it an inch taller and 3 inches wider so it fits your space perfectly! Also, you will find a lot of furniture, jewelery boxes, and entertainment centers that are very...well, standard. When you make stuff yourself, for yourself, you add the little touches that are YOUR style. What are your favorite woods? Cherry? Maple? While you can find furniture in each of these woods, you will rarely find them with both, one as the main wood and the other as an accent. If you like dark wood, you will often find pine or maple stained. Make it yourself out of Walnut.

The bottom line for me is two fold: one, as touched on by other creekers is creativity...WWing is an outlet; the other is getting stuff EXACTLY like I want it. (Or more importantly...like my wife wants it... :D)

Larry Edgerton
08-11-2009, 7:37 AM
I like to eat.

bill mullin
08-11-2009, 7:46 AM
Woodworking is more than saving a couple of bucks on a piece of furniture on Craigslist. Its about a passion, a joy of creating something from a pile of wood that cannot be described. I am 42 yrs old and have been working with wood in a woodshop setting since I was 13 years old. Also when you purchase a piece of furniture, your buying something someone else has created. When you create it with your own hands, you make things your kids will fight over once your dead and gone. In a sense, you could live forever in your woodworking projects. Just a thought.:)

If you really enjoy making things, which should be justification enough, this quote ought to seal the deal.

Something "dad" or "grandpa" made will be worth more to your family than anything you can buy. Get at it.:)

Rod Sheridan
08-11-2009, 7:54 AM
Greg, a hobby is something you spend time and money on, because you enjoy it.

An occupation is something you invest time, effort and money into, to make enough money to support yourself, and your hobbies.

Regards, Rod.

Tony De Masi
08-11-2009, 8:03 AM
But I love woodworking, too. It's a hobby of mine and nothing makes me happier than when I head out the woodshop and the aroma of fresh cut wood is in the air. Greg[/COLOR]

Greg, if you need any more justification that what you stated in your original post, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Tony

Thomas Pender
08-11-2009, 8:06 AM
1. You can explan to your wife she will always know where you are.:D

2. You will always be busy doing something you love to do.

3. Your sense of accomplishment is renewed each time you see something you have done.

4. We make wonderful presents and I think a really fine piece of furniture spells love, committment, and caring better than anything.

5. You end up with really neat tools, plans, magazines, etc., that really do not cost too much.

6. There will always be something to buy, learn, or understand. There is always that next piece.

7. It is real fun, cheaper than a shrink and you connect with others on this really good forum.

Bottom line - woodworking is a perfect hobby, almost a way of life and it brings a sense of accomplishment that is second to none!!!

Rick Hutcheson
08-11-2009, 9:11 AM
Woodworking can be relaxing and allows you to know you made something.
As for justifying, How can you justify playing golf? You have a ball in hand, wack it down a pasture, then go chase it, and wack it again. Finally you hit it in a hole so you can pick it out again. And you do this 18 times !!!!!!!
At least with woodworking you have something to show for efforts you put into all the work. And woodworking can be done year around, rian , shine, or cold. You are still at home, sort of available to the wife and kids. If you are real lucky you will even get them involved in the hobby too.

Ben Davis
08-11-2009, 9:16 AM
Peter,
I'm totally with you. I see blown-up, sick, mame, wounded, and occasionally malingering Marines every day at my battalion's clinic. In the middle of this we're dealing with work ups for deployments and resolution of issues from the last deployment. The shop is a total release. Why would I go watch a movie or television "reality" show about turmoil, conflict, depression, and loss when I can just go to work, live that dream for 12 hours?

Brad Townsend
08-11-2009, 9:28 AM
My wife and I retired four years ago. The shop is 30 yards from the house and it provides the degree of separation that keeps us married.:D

Phil Warnement
08-11-2009, 9:38 AM
Do it because you can. Some day you might not be able to.

Gary Herrmann
08-11-2009, 9:53 AM
I don't. But I do smile every time I go down to my shop.

harry strasil
08-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I started dabbling in WWing when I was very young. My father was very close with a dime, so he would bring wood scraps home from the lumberyard across the street from his Blacksmith shop and a nickel sack of nails and I would make my own toys.

Then at age 7, I started my apprenticeship in my Father and Uncles Blacksmith shop and as I was already adapt at using a hand saw, drawknife and rasp, I started out repairing wooden wagon wheels, using my Grandfathers Wheelwright tools which I still have and use.

While I was a Steeleworker in the Navies SeaBees, I built footlockers and such for my friends and other wooden things.

After I got married and had my own business, I built my own tablesaw and WWing became a hobby to unwind from long, hard days of working iron, it was also a cleaner way to unwind, and as I don't drink, it was a way to occupy my time instead of setting in front of the Tube for hours on end.

I got into the Neander/Galoot part of WWing when I built a complete old time Portable Smith shop to take to the 100th National Blacksmiths Convention at the Hilton in Sioux City, Iowa. I found out I couldn't do a lot of the woodwork with the few power tools I had, and to make it authentic, it should be done with hand tools of the late 1800's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/smithing/1800sshop.jpg

That got me into cruising Flea Mkts and Antique Malls looking for old WWing and Smithing tools.

My Wife always knew where I was, (she could hear me in the basement).

Then when a second back injury forced me into retirement, it gives me something to do and also keeps my brain functioning.

I used to go out and demo mid 1800's WWing or Smithing almost every weedend at Living History and Steam Shows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/HNM1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/HNM2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/planes1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/timberframedemo.jpg
Getting old ain't for Sissies, and besides, plane shavings make a good fire starter for when I play Blacksmith once in a while.

Syd Lorandeau
08-11-2009, 10:08 AM
"JUSTIFY" woodworking, I would pay to get more time in the shop!!!
Syd

David Perata
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
For me woodworking is an extension of my creativity. When I was younger it was channeled into songwriting and music in LA. I've wriiten and had published two books when I needed to do that. Now woodworking fulfills my creative urge, and it is the only real thing that gets me excited. Designing pieces and executing them from my mind into the real world is a great challenge. Selling them successfully will be another great challenge but I have done it before with other things.

I think everybody has their own reasons for woodworking. If it boils down to money then there are plenty of other things you can do with your time to pay the bills. You have to want to wood work, or in fact need to.

Jim Butterfield
08-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Greg, only you and your family to prioritize income and expenditures. But all things being equal, consider:

Several years from now you'll be standing looking at a piece of furniture, and you'll either be saying 1) "Wow, I remember the satisfaction of figuring out the complex joinery in this piece" or 2) "Wow, how satisfying it was to pick out the right screwdriver to assemble this piece".

Ten or fifteen years from now, your son or daughter will either be saying, "I remember how long it took Dad to build this piece, how careful he was to pick out the lumber and how the boards were gradually transformed into this" or 2) "I remember when Dad said he found a deal on Craigslist and came home with this piece".

Thirty or forty years from now, your grandchildren will tell your great-grandchildren either 1) "Grandpa was a real craftsman – this piece will remain in the family forever" or 2) "Hmmm, this probably was in style once. I wonder where Grandpa got it? Let's put it on Craigslist."

I hope you can find the balance. We all struggle with it.

Peter Kuhlman
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
This is like trying to justify purchasing that next tool!!!!!!!!! Hey - this is an addiction with no medical treatment available :) .

John M Bailey
08-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I have never really thought much about justifying my woodworking. I would rather be working in my shop or reading about woodwork when I can't get to my shop (luckily I can read all I want at my job).
One day not long ago, my wife gave me what is more justification than I could ever think of. She told me that she thankful for my love for woodworking, that while it can be a little much at times, she never has to worry about what I am doing, or where I am at, or of what I am thinking of. She said her friends gripe and complain and cry about what their husbands are doing or not doing, or where they are, or who they are with, worring about them sneaking around doing things they shouldn't. We have been together for 16 years and it was she who bought me a router 14 years ago after two years of hearing about woodworking. From that one router, my hobby has grown over the years to a dedicated shop full of tools, and our relationship to one another has grown and matured, it seems, in the same way.

Brian Runau
08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I gave up golf and five hour committments, I sold my wife on the idea the I could pay for the equipment by building kitchen cabinets that would be higher quality than I can buy in the market place.

I find it relaxing and I don't have to drive anywhere to do it.

Brian
Indianapolis

Kyle Iwamoto
08-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Why are you trying to justify? A hobby that can get you a few extra bucks? Build something for a friend and make them happy? It's like heaven!
Tax break is nice too....

John Thompson
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I got involved in 1972 and spent much of my spare time in some type of shop. When I was working I couldn't wait to get there each evening. When I retired two years ago I can now be there as much as I wish but limit my time there to about 8 hours a day on average as there are responsibilities to family.. property.. citizen-ship.. etc. that have to be prior-tized accordlingly.

The justification is I want to be there.. I need the challenge of taking what most see as a pile of rough lumber and visualizing beyond that.. then executing what it takes to pull it off. I have furnished two homes and working on the third as the first two complete sets are Gone with the Wind and the former wives.

Could it have been purchased cheaper as you state. Yes.. but.... I don't use plans from someone else so I end up with one of a kind which makes it to some degree unique. I love to hear one of my lovelies friend ask.. where did you get that as I have never seen one quite like it? I love to hear her reply.. my husband built it just for me. When I hear that I simply smile.. grab a cup of coffee and head down to the shop to tackle another pile of rough with intent for it to become a functional.. finished product after careful thought and execution. It makes her proud and me happy... you can't buy either on Craigs-list!

Neal Clayton
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
because i want stuff not everyone else has got.

i've built all of the windows and doors in my house, and half of the moldings. they are visually identical to the 1908 originals where possible, and also functionally superior when possible (especially the windows, which are better than the originals). could i have hired that work out?

maybe. but the cost would've been comparable, if not higher. and who doesn't enjoy learning how to do something new? that's really what it boils down to. i've done hundreds of things a few times. won't likely do all of them again but i can always say "yeah i know how to do that" ;).

David G Baker
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't do a lot of woodworking but when I do it is because it has already been justified by a need of work to be done or things that need to be built.
When I was in my early 20's woodworking was a hobby, I have a lot of tools and keep them set up but my hobby days are limited. I will admit that I go in phases and will probably reach a point to where I may have to justify some tool purchases when that occurs but until then I will keep up with my many other hobbies.

glenn bradley
08-11-2009, 1:17 PM
"How do you justify woodworking?"

I enjoy it.

Doug Shepard
08-11-2009, 1:19 PM
Geez if I couldn't do woodworking, I'd probably be looking for enjoyment in a pill or booze bottle, followed by guilt trips to a shrink. Spending lots of money on tools and wood seems pretty cheap in comparison.

Art Bianconi
08-11-2009, 1:28 PM
So how do I justify woodworking?

Greg

You don't!

For one thing, no matter what answer you give in defense of your hobby, there will always be a rebuttle, if not from someone else, then from within your own head.

I recenty purchased a 350 amp TIG welder. I guy I know demanded to know: "What are YOU going to do with a 350 amp welder!"

I roared back: I am going to have fun!

I am a convinced that Self Expression is the essence of what it means to be a human being. The need to express out into the world who we are as individuals is vital to healthy development. Woodworking just happens to be just one of the many options available to us.

Rich is the person who can exercise self expression through many differing disciplines. And, wealthy beyond measure, is the one who earns a living doing what he or she has passion for. People like that do not look forward to retirement.

What for?!

Hobbies are all too often, the consolation prize for those who can't stand their jobs.

THAT is a whole other conversation!

Enjoy what you are doing and tell that voice to go away!

Art

Sean Hughto
08-11-2009, 1:31 PM
Have you ever had sex? Why?

I mean how do you justify it? You could adopt or spend the time working so you'd have more money, right?

george wilson
08-11-2009, 1:56 PM
In case it hasn't been said,having a hobby keeps you alive longer,and keeps your brain active.

Stephen Edwards
08-11-2009, 2:08 PM
I've never even thought about justifying woodworking, before. Now that I think about it, I'm not going to think about it any more!

andy Needles
08-11-2009, 4:28 PM
My wife, a wildlife biologist and teacher, brought home a dead racoon, and put it in the freezer. I jumped on her about it, and she smiled and said, "I can take up another hobby, such as shopping!" I grew to love that raccoon.

Point being, that you don't have to justfiy a hobby, but if someone close says you do, then express an interest in a more expensive hobby! :D:D:D

Kyle Iwamoto
08-11-2009, 5:18 PM
I've never even thought about justifying woodworking, before. Now that I think about it, I'm not going to think about it any more!

That made me laugh!!!!

Chip Lindley
08-11-2009, 6:00 PM
I like a decent automobile to drive! My 4WD truck performs a function in my life, getting from point A to B , and hauling big stuff that SUV's groan at! But I don't idolize it! I use it! AND, I got a nice bargain on it buying with only 17,000 used miles! (No, I didn't see it on CraigsList!)

Lots of car fanatics spend countless $$$ restoring that '64-1/2 Pony, or a '67 Camaro SS! They comb the whole continent looking for a fender or bumper! They fix the sheet metal. They bolt it all together. They spray it with a zillion coats of lacquer or expensive Imron! They put time and sweat and LOVE into their Ride! It's SPECIAL!!

Greg wants nice furniture at a bargain! And he got it! Furniture is a functional part of home living! Nothing special about any one piece. Just a nice living room, dining, and bedroom sets! (quite a bit of veneer and particle board there, I suspect!)

I did not furnish my whole home with my own hand-built stuff! But, I have built one new kitchen (starting on the second, in solid cherry, 25 years later) and three bathrooms. (two oak, one walnut) I get to see the fruits of my labors everytime my eyes are open!

We used to have a nice big white oak in the front yard 20 years ago. A storm tore it almost in two! I cut it down and had the log hauled to a sawyer, and bandsawn into 4/4 boards. Several years later I used that lumber to make my daughter (now 24) a blanket chest.

I consider that chest priceless, since the white oak used in it, used to grow right outside her bedroom window as a little girl.

That's why I DO woodworking, Greg.

Dave Lehnert
08-11-2009, 6:21 PM
You have to do woodworking to buy tools. It's all about the tools.

Joe Cunningham
08-11-2009, 6:29 PM
I do a lot of hand tool work (probably 90% of each project, usually 100%) and I find it relaxing and different than my day job (software development). It works my engineering brain while at the same time requiring physical work. No chair in the shop either. :D

I also get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from my finished projects, esp when I put them to use around the house.

Time-wise, I know it would be cheaper to buy custom furniture if I had to incorporate all my 'get up to speed' time and equipment costs, but I'm in this for the long-haul.

Caspar Hauser
08-11-2009, 6:43 PM
I like to eat.

.. and there you have it.

Ben Franz
08-11-2009, 7:10 PM
Greg, here's how I justify woodworking. Life is more than making money, and when that pursuit starts to interfere with living, it's time to take a break.

What he said!! Nobody lays on their deathbed thinking "I really wish I had worked more." Creative endeavor feeds the soul. Money is just a tool to help you live your life. Making things from scratch, whether hobby level or professional can't be compared to working for a living, IMO.

Gene Howe
08-11-2009, 8:38 PM
Never attempt to justify what brings you pleasure!

Danny Thompson
08-11-2009, 8:45 PM
You can't put a price on love.

George Bregar
08-11-2009, 8:59 PM
Never attempt to justify what brings you pleasure! +1 I'm an adult. WHy do I have to justify anything.

Steven DeMars
08-11-2009, 9:23 PM
It's easy to justify my woodworking hobby.

It helps me justify my tool collecting hobby . . . :p

Don Bullock
08-11-2009, 9:24 PM
I have never felt the need to justify doing anything that give me enjoyment. If I did, I'd be very miserable. My hobbies, woodworking, cars and my basset hounds are all very expensive. My best advice is to spend as much time as possible doing what you enjoy. Life is far too short to do otherwise.

Mike Hall1
08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Most people who are successful in their field of work have a passion for what they do. There's no reason why a passion for woodwork can't be turned into an income producing lifestyle. ( If that's what you want.) Find a niche type product you really like and offer a service that the large producers cannot compete with. Works for me.

Mike

Mike Heidrick
08-11-2009, 11:45 PM
OP, You have never owned a boat I am guessing.

Denny Rice
08-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Greg, only you and your family to prioritize income and expenditures. But all things being equal, consider:

Several years from now you'll be standing looking at a piece of furniture, and you'll either be saying 1) "Wow, I remember the satisfaction of figuring out the complex joinery in this piece" or 2) "Wow, how satisfying it was to pick out the right screwdriver to assemble this piece".

Ten or fifteen years from now, your son or daughter will either be saying, "I remember how long it took Dad to build this piece, how careful he was to pick out the lumber and how the boards were gradually transformed into this" or 2) "I remember when Dad said he found a deal on Craigslist and came home with this piece".

Thirty or forty years from now, your grandchildren will tell your great-grandchildren either 1) "Grandpa was a real craftsman – this piece will remain in the family forever" or 2) "Hmmm, this probably was in style once. I wonder where Grandpa got it? Let's put it on Craigslist."

I hope you can find the balance. We all struggle with it.

Could not be said better........Jim has it right.

Al Willits
08-12-2009, 8:51 AM
"""""".
But I love woodworking, too. It's a hobby of mine and nothing makes me happier than when I head out the woodshop and the aroma of fresh cut wood is in the air.
""""""""

Lots of good replies, but I think you answered your own question.

Took me a couple of years to finally make a piece that I would show to people, but when I look at the TV cabinet I made, I get a sense of accomplishment and a smile on my face...that says it all to me.

Al

Nathan Callender
08-12-2009, 9:26 AM
For me, woodworking has been one of my 'cheaper' hobbies. :-) Plus, it's actually one that may pay for itself. Here's how I do the math for furniture and other things around the house:

Cost of commissioning custom built furniture

vs

Cost of materials and consumables

Time: Since this is my hobby, my time is free - I would be watching TV instead, which is worthless, or spending money on entertainment somewhere else. So, there may even be a positive balance in that equation.

Tools: I try to buy tools that will last 20 years. So, if I have to buy another stationary tool for something, it's cost is split out over that range. Under that sytem, my table saw is costing me $20/year. :-)

Although, at the rate I'm going, even if I throw in all the equipment that I've bought, it will still have been cheaper to do the projects vs buying. :-) BTW, you should take a look at how much Amish furniture costs. It may change your mind about the expense of woodworking. You can't compare what you build to the cheap MDF stuff that is getting sold lately.

Also, I've done the 'work as hard as you can for a long time' thing. Humans aren't robots.

Kendall Stokke
08-12-2009, 9:30 AM
my first project after getting back into woodworking was when my daughter and son in law said they were going to have a baby.

just so happens that i got my new wood magazine the same day that had a great crib pattern in it. i showed it to them and they wanted it(espically if i was going to pay for it lol). that was the start of loving to do woodworking again.

i could of bought them a crib from the store for less that i had into the crib but i have something that will last through generations i hope.

i dont look at what a project cost as must as how much joy i get out of making it. another thing i look at is how much i would be spending looking for something i love to do to use up the time i do woodworking. how much does golfing, fishing, hunting, movies and bar time cost you? if you factor these things into the cost as savings i think i come out pretty well.

i bought a carvewright last summer and this tool really got my interest back. the carvings that you can create to make your other projects better is unbelieveable.

well enough said

kendall

Rob Price
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
OP, You have never owned a boat I am guessing.

Amen to that.

A couple of thoughts, as this is more of a philisophical question, and each individual is going to have their own view.

As far as cost- take a buffet I built. For about $300-400 worth of solid walnut, throw in $20 for door hardware, $60 for quality drawer slides, and $15 for a can of lacquer, I have a solid walnut, "heirloom" quality buffet that will last for years, can be sanded and refinished, and is custom made to what I (read:wife) wanted it to look like. You can even include the new rail/stile/vertical panel bits I bought (~$150) to the cost, even though I continue to use them. Walk into a generic low-mid range furniture store of your choice, and you can buy a buffet for cheaper. It will be veneers, MDF, plywood, with cheap hardware. Walk into a "fine" furniture store and ask for a solid hardwood piece and your price is in the thousands. So yes, I could buy a cheaper buffet, but it would not be the same quality/durability as what I made. From a purely financial standpoint, if you can afford "fine" furniture, making it yourself isn't that expensive. I built a custom computer desk/hutch to match our kitchen cabinets with walnut ply and solid walnut. Total cost ~$800. I asked the cabinet guy I bought the materials from how much a large, custom walnut built in desk would be and he quoted me $1500-$2000. Over time my tools, MIGHT pay for themselves, but that's just gravy.

On the other hand, I enjoy my time in the shop. I enjoy the challenge that each piece brings. I try to work some type of new skill (joinery, design, finishing) etc into each piece. The only thing I've made two of, is a boatbed I made for my boys, but even the second time around I made some tweaks to keep it interesting. At the end of the day I have something to show for it that I can take pride in. So even if the cost were a wash, I recieve personal gratification for my efforts.

I have a solid walnut (sensing a theme?) barrister bookcase my grandfather made for me just before he passed 20 years ago. He made one for each grandson, and one additional one that was not earmarked for anyone- except my parents found out they were expecting the week after he died. It's like he knew we needed one more. Now each of us has one in our own homes. It means more to me than any other piece of furniture in the house. You can't put a price tag on that. I hope to be able to leave some type of work for each of my kids at some point.

whit richardson
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Wow after reading this thread I now know there are a lot more quality built kitchens, tables, chairs, boxes and more out there, many happy tool makers and Rockler owners, marriages intact and a LOT less crazies in society. All thanks to woodworking! :rolleyes:

Sean Nagle
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
When discussing comparable furniture pieces, you can't compare most of what I have seen posted on this forum against low and mid-grade, commercial furniture. What is crafted by people here is very much superior to anything you can commercially buy. Even supposed "high-end" furniture stores carry mostly junk. The only commercial furniture I would buy is made by companies like Thomas Moser, and have you seen some of their prices lately? It can most definitely justify setting up your own shop and getting to work.

But for a pastime that you simply enjoy, there is never any justification necessary.

Mike Foreman
08-12-2009, 4:17 PM
Any outlet that allows you to be creative is worthwhile :)

Greg Magone
08-13-2009, 1:43 AM
I appreciate all of your replies. I read through almost all of them with great interest and thought everyone had some insightful comments.

I'm fortunate to have a wife who is very supportive of my hobby. I'll buy tool after tool, and she knows that woodworking just requires lots of tools. I try to purchase everything used when possible and new items are almost always purchased on gift cards or extra money. But she is very supportive of woodworking. Of course, I try hard to earn her support by making things she enjoys (cutting boards, toy cars, and other things she can use).

I thought the gentleman who made the comment that the wood items I make are special order for our family was really insightful. Most everything I make has some sort of flaw in it (sometimes minor and sometimes more significant). Now I simply say that is what makes the item unique and it's like that because I made it for us.

I also appreciated the comments that referred to the instrinic value of homemade items. While I'm a deal shopper, most people (including my family) prefer items new and in style. Woodworking is a way that I can make quality items that are brand new for prices less than furniture stores. Sure, I can buy out of date or out of style items off Craigslist for cheap, but quality new items are very expensive.

I'm going to keep at it and keep making things! Again, I really appreciate all of the responses on here.

Joe Jensen
08-13-2009, 2:53 AM

I am a deal shopper and a Craigslist addict. I can find tremendous deals on (used) furniture on Craigslist - and furniture that is in nearly new condition.

I also have the opportunity to work overtime at my employer (Boeing) at hourly rates that I can't complain about.

So how do I justify woodworking? It would be cheaper for me to buy some of the fantastic deals I see on furniture on Craigslist. And it'd be more profitable for me to work overtime at my company than to spend time on my table saw building wood projects.

Appreciate any feedback anyone has on this question. Surely I'm not the first person that has had to try to justify the value of woodworking to himself / herself.

Greg

I don't. It's my hobby. I spend less per year that people;
1) with Boats
2) with ATVs
3) with Campers
4) who Smoke
5) who are Heavy drinkers
5)who Drug users
6) who go to clubs
7) who wear expensive clothes
8) with snowmobiles

Plus, my wife knows where I am most of the time.

Denny Rice
08-13-2009, 4:07 AM
The other things you have to remember about "out of style" things..........It always seems to come back in style, again, and again, and again..........LOL Its kinda like my electronics, black was in style when they were purchased, then America went through this thing about silver colored electronics, now black is back, again! Go figure.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
So how do I justify woodworking?

Why on earth would I try to?

I do it because it pleases me to do so.

Tracy Hall
08-13-2009, 1:18 PM
I do woodworking because I enjoy it.

Sometimes it's cheaper for me to make something, and sometimes it's not.

John Schreiber
08-13-2009, 2:06 PM
What everybody else said.

I'd add - Justified? I know a bit about the world and the people who live on in it. I can hardly justify anything I do besides love my family.

Clearly, the world is not based on what is justified. I don't even know if the world should be based on what can be justified.

Tom Grant
08-14-2009, 1:21 AM
This thread should be pinned as a "must read" for us all every year or so. I get wrapped up in other parts of life sometimes and loose my perspective.
Let's all say it together: "Life is not just about work or money."

Never mind the woodworking part, many of my friends and family could really benefit from the wisdom you've all shared.

Thanks to all.

Denny Rice
08-14-2009, 1:40 AM
This thread should be pinned as a "must read" for us all every year or so. I get wrapped up in other parts of life sometimes and loose my perspective.
Let's all say it together: "Life is not just about work or money."

Never mind the woodworking part, many of my friends and family could really benefit from the wisdom you've all shared.

Thanks to all.

The best thing about woodworking in my shop is my wife hates the noise:), and as long as a machine is running she will not step in it! My MANCAVE, no women allowed! LOL..

Cliff Holmes
08-14-2009, 3:49 PM
How do you justify watching television? TV, DVD player, rental/netflix account, cable/satellite fees, electricity, it adds up. It's justified because you can afford it and it gives you pleasure/fulfillment.

whit richardson
08-15-2009, 2:04 PM
I don't. It's my hobby. I spend less per year that people;
1) with Boats
2) with ATVs
3) with Campers
4) who Smoke
5) who are Heavy drinkers
5)who Drug users
6) who go to clubs
7) who wear expensive clothes
8) with snowmobiles

Plus, my wife knows where I am most of the time.

and this is why you should not hang out with folks who take their boat to a campout while they're smoking and drinking heavily. Also don't be friends with someone that drives an ATV while on drugs dressed in a nice Armani suit headed to some club that features snowmobiles. Just stay away!

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-15-2009, 2:23 PM
I don't have to justify it. I do what I want.

Craig Summers
08-19-2009, 1:54 PM
I just think back to days when Dad sat on the basement steps and watched me woodworking when i was still in High School.

:D

Larry Lukens
08-24-2009, 5:45 PM
I justify woodworking the same way my son-in-law justifies deer hunting: I love it. Same with sailing when I was younger.

You can no more make furniture that costs less than manufactured stuff (although we don't use termite barf covered with plastic) than you can make ice cream at home for less than you can buy it at the store.

It isn't about the economics; it's about quality and craftsmanship and pride.

As someone already said, it costs less than a shrink.

Bill White
08-24-2009, 6:48 PM
I think I will print ALL of the responses and post them on my shop wall.
Bill :D:D:D:D:D

Keith Christopher
08-24-2009, 6:49 PM

Greg

"The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

I guess this is what guides me with woodworking. I will replicate some items, not in an attempt to make it cheaper or quicker or better, more as an inspiration or it has a shape or detail I like or it just fits. I like to take an idea, find the wood or woods that will make it and I do. It doesn't matter to me if so-and-so is better or did it years before or if I could get it for half the price. My children will be using the pieces i keep and hopefully the ones I sell the owners children/grandchildren will be using it because it was made by a skilled craftsman and the details are in it. Formed by hands, detailed by eye, designed from the heart.