PDA

View Full Version : A few Mills

Bob Hallowell
08-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Here is a few of the mills I have just made These are Spalted Maple, Cocobolo, and two Rosewood. They all have a CA finish and range from 11" to 14"

thanks for looking
Bob

Bob Hallowell
08-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Here are a few of my Layered mills Birdseye and Paduak, Curly maple and rosewood, and Cocobolo and curly maple. All with a CA finish and range from 10" to 13".

Bob

Matt Wolboldt
08-11-2009, 2:01 AM
Those look great. What mill mechanism do you use?

David Walser
08-11-2009, 4:41 AM
Bob,

You really have that form down! It's a nice, elegant, classic shape and the mills look like they'd feel good in the hand and be easy to use. The wood and finish is beautiful. What's not to like?

Harlan Coverdale
08-11-2009, 4:48 AM
Very nice, Bob. Nice classic form.

Joseph M Lary
08-11-2009, 8:18 AM
How do ypu go about finishing them with CA ?

Brian Novotny
08-11-2009, 8:22 AM
Here are a few of my Layered mills Birdseye and Paduak, Curly maple and rosewood, and Cocobolo and curly maple. All with a CA finish and range from 10" to 13".

Bob
theat curly figure almost looks like carvings in the wood. I want some of what you got..... nice mills all around.

Bob Hallowell
08-11-2009, 8:36 AM
Those look great. What mill mechanism do you use?

Thanks Guys,
Matt I use the http://www.chefspecialties.com/ mech. It is the same one sold by lee valley, craft supplies and others. They are just the manufacture

How do ypu go about finishing them with CA ?

I developed a technique that works pretty well and is fairly easy. I use it on Peppermills, bracelets, pens, winetops and anything else small. I sand to 400 to 600. using a paper towel I put some thin ca on it. on something small I wipe the whole way across it but on a mill I only go a few inches. Use a fresh spot and go a few inches more and so forth. Let that coat dry and put on a total of 4 coats.
I used to use micro mesh but now I use 600grit sand paper and level the ca. I looks like crap after this but it is ok. Then I take it to the beall and use tripoli and sometimes white diamond.
My bad Pics don't show the true gloss of these mills, the finish comes out amazing.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
08-11-2009, 8:57 AM
Bob - love the form on all of your mills! Very nice curves and clean detail work! Also love the curly - always adds depth to a piece! Great work on these!

Keith Palmer
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Bob, those are beautiful! I will have to try the CA finish on my laminated mills. Have been having a hard time finding what would work well with the Padauk and Purpleheart that I have laminated with maple.

How did you get the layers on the top to line up so well with the bottom on the first to laminated mills? So far I have just turned mine 90 degrees like your third one.

Again those are beautiful, I really like the form.

Chris Rae
08-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Wow, those are great! Very nice! The form, finish and woods are wonderful.

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Bob those are some good looking mills out of some nice wood.

Joe Meirhaeghe
08-11-2009, 2:12 PM
Bob
Love the mills. They look very inviting to pick up & use.
If you don't mind me asking what kind of price can you get for them in your area?
I've never made any but we do have a guy in our club that makes them for sale & some times he sells them really fast & other times hardly at all. His prices very alot though.

Here is a few of the mills I have just made These are Spalted Maple, Cocobolo, and two Rosewood. They all have a CA finish and range from 11" to 14"

thanks for looking
Bob

Michael Mills
08-11-2009, 2:13 PM
Saw you had Mills capitalized so I had to take a look.
Nice looking group but none that I recognize.
Must be from a different branch of the family. :)

Mike Mills

Bob Hallowell
08-11-2009, 2:51 PM
Joe all of the one's I have shown pics for will range between $110 to $140

Curt Fuller
08-11-2009, 7:13 PM
Way nice mills Bob, all of them!

John W Dixon
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Bob, those are beautiful. Great work and I love the design of the them.

John

Jarrod McGehee
08-12-2009, 3:11 AM
Very nice mills. The cocobolo and rosewood with the sapwood look really nice and the curly maple ones got a nice flashiness to them. good stuff!

Jeff Nicol
08-12-2009, 9:36 AM
Bob, I have never made a mill so I am not one to say much at all. They are all very beautiful and like already said, the shape is classic and very pleasant to the eye. The prices you stated are something I could never pay for one, do you sell many of them at that price range? If you do I better get busy and make some!! I just got an order for 10 small HF's made out of aspen with a lacquer finish, they are about 3 1/2" tall and 4" around. A guy stopped at my booth last Saturday and wanted to make a deal wholesale so I went for it! Maybe I can get him into the pepper mill mood too! Thanks for sharing and all your information.

Jeff

Keith Palmer
08-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I developed a technique that works pretty well and is fairly easy. I use it on Peppermills, bracelets, pens, winetops and anything else small. I sand to 400 to 600. using a paper towel I put some thin ca on it. on something small I wipe the whole way across it but on a mill I only go a few inches. Use a fresh spot and go a few inches more and so forth. Let that coat dry and put on a total of 4 coats.
I used to use micro mesh but now I use 600grit sand paper and level the ca. I looks like crap after this but it is ok. Then I take it to the beall and use tripoli and sometimes white diamond.
My bad Pics don't show the true gloss of these mills, the finish comes out amazing.

Bob

Bob,

When you apply the CA to the mill, what kind of speed is the piece turning?

I am really going to have to try this. Using poly takes way too long, but I like the finish.

Thanks,
Keith

Bob Hallowell
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Bob,

When you apply the CA to the mill, what kind of speed is the piece turning?

I am really going to have to try this. Using poly takes way too long, but I like the finish.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith,
Prolly around 400-500rpm, key is putting on enough coats you can sand it out with 600 grit. It doesn't have to look great just level, Buffing makes it awesome.

As to matching the angle on the tops, just and offset guestamation.

Bob