PDA

View Full Version : G0443 cyclone opinions

jim hedgpeth
08-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I have been looking for a dust collector and would like to get a cyclone. Unfortunately, I am limited to 120V for the foreseeable future.

Everyone seems to like the Griz cyclones, but I have seen no reference to the G0443. It is the only one I have seen under $1000 that can be run on 120V.

My shop is not very big, and I only run one tool at a time. I am wondering if this one would be able to keep up with an 8" jointer, or 15" planer if I ever get them? I really don't want to keep putting off a dust collector, but I don't want to replace it in a year or two either.

I may be better off getting a cheep dc. and get a cyclone after I get 240V in my shop. There is the g1028z, but again, not finding much reference to it anywhere.

Jim

Brad Townsend
08-11-2009, 8:39 AM
I suspect the reason you don't see much comment on a 443 is because there aren't as many out there. I know when I bought my 440, I already had 220 circuits available and there was so little difference pricewise between the 440 and the 443 that it was a no-brainer to go with the bigger machine. I would imagine this is the case for many others.

Having said all that, I can't believe that the 443 would not easily handle your present needs with suck to spare.:D The only question might be if you are planning to add more machines and duct runs in the future. If so, you may want to get a 220 circuit installed first, and then get a unit big enough to handle future needs.

Curt Harms
08-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I have been looking for a dust collector and would like to get a cyclone. Unfortunately, I am limited to 120V for the foreseeable future.

Everyone seems to like the Griz cyclones, but I have seen no reference to the G0443. It is the only one I have seen under $1000 that can be run on 120V.

My shop is not very big, and I only run one tool at a time. I am wondering if this one would be able to keep up with an 8" jointer, or 15" planer if I ever get them? I really don't want to keep putting off a dust collector, but I don't want to replace it in a year or two either.

I may be better off getting a cheep dc. and get a cyclone after I get 240V in my shop. There is the g1028z, but again, not finding much reference to it anywhere.

Jim

I have a Penn State DC2 something, the particular model is no longer available but it's going to be similar to this (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2000B.html) . I have it plumbed with 6" PVC and 6" clear flex necked down to 4" at the machine. It draws about 6-7 amps @ 240 volts so would pull 12-14 amps on a 120 volt circuit. Unless you have a 120 volt circuit for this DC with very little else on it, you'll likely need to pull another circuit anyway so you might as well get what you want. From what I know the impeller diameter has more to do with performance than paint color. My Penn State unit has a 12" impeller. I added a Wynn filter and Phil Thien baffle. I'm pleased with both additions. It keep up nicely with a Jet JJP-12 jointer-planer planing 11" wide boards. It's suprising how quick I can fill a bag with chips:eek:. Of course the wildlife rescue place down the road has a source of cheap bedding:).

HTH

Curt

Bill Blackburn
08-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I have the Penn DC2 in the link above with Wynn cartridge and run 6" also to drops.
My thoughts were to go with the cyclone too and maybe (???) someday it will happen but this more than does the job today for me. If you go cyclone I'd go bigger horsed monster and be done with it. IF the need there that is.....

Jamie Buxton
08-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Considering that you have a small shop, that cyclone may be real big. The footprint is 3 feet by nearly 5 feet. If I owned it, I'd look for ways to reduce the footprint. Perhaps you can cut down the stand, or wall-mount it and eliminate the stand. And perhaps you can put the filter elsewhere, like running horizontally higher in the air above something else in the shop.

Or you could consider other brands with small footprints. For instance, Oneida offers the Mini-Gorilla. The price is about the same as that Grizz, it can run on 115 volts, and the cfm spec is similar, but it is much more compact. Oneida also has the V1500, which will run on 115 volts, and pulls more cfm. It is physically bigger than the Mini-Gorilla, but smaller than that Grizz.

glenn bradley
08-15-2009, 2:33 PM
If it is only a year or two till you see an upgrade in power coming on, I would be tempted to buy an inexpensive bag unit, get a better top bag and go solid for the lower bag. I did this to get me by till I got 220v and my cyclone. The bag unit works so well I kept it an use it on the jointer and planer exclusively therefor no loss in $$ on it. The cyclone does everything else.

Pete Janke
08-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Jim, I have the G0443 set up and working in my garage. It works fine for me sucking dust and shavings from a 6" Gizzly jointer, Ridgid planer, table saw, and router table. It is set up on its own circuit and draws from one tool at a time (I'm the only guy working in the shop). The runs are short and the entire set-up continues to be an evolving project. The footprint is a little large as mentioned in an earlier post. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow night. It really exists. :D I bought it for the same reason you mentioned, the 110 circuit.

Pete Janke
08-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Here it is.

Tom Clark FL
08-18-2009, 6:20 PM
Jim,

How about a cyclone on the cheap? I just have a Grizzly 1029 and frequently emptying the bag was a pain, so I added the trash can cyclone top years ago. It is so easy to empty and works great. It keeps up with my 15" planer and the 3hp shaper easily. I also only use one machine at a time.

I don't plan to upgrade until the old dust collector dies, and it may last a long time yet…