PDA

View Full Version : PC A3 Take-About Locomotive Sander

Mitchell Garnett
08-10-2009, 9:01 PM
I've recovered my dad's sander from my brother and have found it in need of significant refurbishment. I haven't disassembled it yet but just a cusory look at it and at the parts prices on eReplacementParts.com makes me think this is going to easily run over $200 just in parts if I do it myself. Clearly not worth it except for the sentimental value tho' I think by the time I'm finished, it will only look like my dad's belt sander with newer, upgraded guts.

While I mull over whether to do this, I thought I'd see if anyone here knows when this sander was introduced. Apparently it evolved into the model 504. And if anyone has a manual, I'd like to hear from you.

thanks,

Mitch

Jeff Willard
08-10-2009, 10:41 PM
IIRC, those were quite spendy sanders, and a lot of people who have them are very fond of them. $200 or so to rehabilitate that machine might not be inordinate.

David DeCristoforo
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM
That is (was... it's discontinued now) "the best" hand held sander ever made. If you repair it, it will be much more than "only your dad's belt sander". I have a 503 manual but your sander is a 504 so it won't be of much help. Parts are still available through PC dealers but not the machines themselves.

mickey cassiba
08-11-2009, 7:32 AM
I have a PDF of the PC 504 User Manual and paper copy of PL and Service notes. However I do not have the PC A3 Documentation

Bob Aquino
08-11-2009, 8:31 AM
Mosey on over to OWWM.org and search on PC 503 or something along those lines. You will have lots of reading afterward. Here is one link to a good thread, there are plenty of others. BTW, I had a 503, it was a tank for sure, new they went close to 600 bucks.

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=57325&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=porter+cable+sander&start=15

Frank Drew
08-11-2009, 9:03 AM
Great machines, without question, very long-lived, low center of gravity, etc., etc., but I'd look for a new machine that came with a sanding frame if I was buying another hand belt sander.

Chuck Wintle
08-11-2009, 9:13 AM
I've recovered my dad's sander from my brother and have found it in need of significant refurbishment. I haven't disassembled it yet but just a cusory look at it and at the parts prices on eReplacementParts.com makes me think this is going to easily run over $200 just in parts if I do it myself. Clearly not worth it except for the sentimental value tho' I think by the time I'm finished, it will only look like my dad's belt sander with newer, upgraded guts.

While I mull over whether to do this, I thought I'd see if anyone here knows when this sander was introduced. Apparently it evolved into the model 504. And if anyone has a manual, I'd like to hear from you.

thanks,

Mitch
Have you tried ebay for parts?

David Christopher
08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Mitchell, check out this place, they have everything you need....BTW that sander is worth fixing

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-cable-504-type-3x24-belt-sander-parts-c-129_1997_2073.html

Mitchell Garnett
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I didn't think of looking there because I associated the site with big iron. Lot's of good information there including a posting with lots of photos from someone who has just gone through a rebuild on an A3.

Thanks for all the information and tips.

Mitchell