PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Edge Sander Shop Fox base

Craig D Peltier
08-10-2009, 5:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a mobile base on there Grizzly 6x80 edge sander. They try and sell you one for it that only opens to 14.5 x 21.5 the G8683 but the PDF of the G1140 sander shows the base as 15x21.5. I have that sander and measured the base and there right but the Shop Fox base doesnt seem like it will fit.
The next size base up is way too big.

Thanks

Steve Kohn
08-10-2009, 10:18 PM
IMHO don't bother with a Shop Fox base. I have multiple Grizzly tools and made the mistake of buying a Shop Fox base for the 19 inch bandsaw. It is junk. The locking mechanism is wimpy (but functional), the recommended side rails only allow one bolt to be used, and worst of all the wheels are so small they get caught on sawdust.

There is only one reason I don't replace it. Since I put the bandsaw on the base I have only moved the saw two or three times and that was only to move it a foot or two.

I now make all my own bases and use the double locking 4 or 5 inch red tired wheels from Grizzly.

Craig D Peltier
08-10-2009, 10:43 PM
IMHO don't bother with a Shop Fox base. I have multiple Grizzly tools and made the mistake of buying a Shop Fox base for the 19 inch bandsaw. It is junk. The locking mechanism is wimpy (but functional), the recommended side rails only allow one bolt to be used, and worst of all the wheels are so small they get caught on sawdust.

There is only one reason I don't replace it. Since I put the bandsaw on the base I have only moved the saw two or three times and that was only to move it a foot or two.

I now make all my own bases and use the double locking 4 or 5 inch red tired wheels from Grizzly.

Can you post picture of homemade base? If not do you make out of plywood base and just edges on it with the 4 tires?

Thanks

Matt Meiser
08-11-2009, 8:17 AM
I have one under my bandsaw. I don't have problems rolling it when I want to, but the locking knobs are a pain because you have to bend over and screw them down. I haven't locked it in years and it doesn't move around when I'm using the saw since but then again I guess that means it doesn't roll that easily. I shortened the rails on mine, but I had to drill (and maybe tap?) new holes in the rails.

For my belt/disc sander and my jointer I bought the Rockler bases that have you make the rails from hardwood. I like them a lot. I've been thinking about modifying them to remove the wheel that raises and lowers and making up a handle that hooks and raises them like some of the euro machines have.

Steve Kohn
08-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Can you post picture of homemade base? If not do you make out of plywood base and just edges on it with the 4 tires?

Thanks

I only use plywood bases for lighter objects, like the router table. Everything else is on either HTC bases (highly modified) or custom made angle iron bases.

BTW, a very good friend of mine is a mechanical engineer and owner of a metalworking shop. He builds the bases for me. In return I have spent a considerable amount of time helping him build his wood shop.

One major recommendation is to use BIG wheels on whatever base you end up with. Allows the tools to roll much easier. A second recommendation is to use double locking casters or some type of leg that gets the tool off the caster totally. Otherwise you may have the tool move when you don't want it to.

george wilson
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think the Grizzly sander would be heavy enough to be a problem with the mobile base. I do have problems moving my 600# table saw with a Shop Fox base rated for supposedly more weight that that. The sander,which I have one of,isn't very heavy. I built a box for mine with casters underneath,because I got a bench model of the sander for $300.00.

Stan Mitchell
08-11-2009, 1:19 PM
I now make all my own bases and use the double locking 4 or 5 inch red tired wheels from Grizzly.Exactly! I went and built a simple base for a recently acquired Griz 17" band saw.

I just used some 1.5"x1.5"x 1/8" angle iron, 3" double lock wheels, and one can of spray paint. Works great and was relatively simple to build using a 110V hobby arc welder.

Cost less than $50 total, fits the machine perfectly, and is much nicer than anything commercially available for the money.

Craig D Peltier
08-11-2009, 8:36 PM
I don't think the Grizzly sander would be heavy enough to be a problem with the mobile base. I do have problems moving my 600# table saw with a Shop Fox base rated for supposedly more weight that that. The sander,which I have one of,isn't very heavy. I built a box for mine with casters underneath,because I got a bench model of the sander for $300.00.
My original problem is Grizzly list the shop fox base for that sander too small than what there spec sheet and my measurements are for that sander.I dont know why thye havent corrected it yet? I was just wondering if it actually fit cause I wanted one.
I dont have a welder, I may try some double plywood an some casters. And bolt machine to base as well.

Don Jeansonne
08-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I had the same prblem. I modfied the Shop Fox to use on another tool. I mounted the sander on a HTC 1000 which fits well and is actually easier to get up on wheels than the Shop Fox.
I agree with the others and think it is probably easier to make your own base.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Here's another option. I just picked up one of these kits from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005114/8164/Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware.aspx) last night for my new sander. I haven't even opened the box yet so I can't say how well it works but I like that it won't take much to get it set up. And I like that it will be pretty well tucked in. As soon as I get the dados cut in a big stack of panels (saw is already set so I don't want to move it) I'm going to get it set up and I'll post a better review.

Steve Kohn
08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Here's another option. I just picked up one of these kits from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005114/8164/Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware.aspx) last night for my new sander. I haven't even opened the box yet so I can't say how well it works but I like that it won't take much to get it set up. And I like that it will be pretty well tucked in. As soon as I get the dados cut in a big stack of panels (saw is already set so I don't want to move it) I'm going to get it set up and I'll post a better review.

I have one of these bases under my oscillating spindle sander. Unfortunately I didn't get it at this price. For lighter tools it works very well. There are several issues where you need to be wary. One thing is only the front wheels lock. So a solid push on it in the wrong direction can move the tool. Only the front wheels swivel which makes moving the machines a little more difficult (IMHO). Then the ground clearance is not really great, so it can get stuck in a crack on the floor. Lastly you add your own 3/4 inch plywood to the center, which can sag over time.

All in all, a good base if properly used.

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-21-2009, 1:28 PM
I have one of these under my Grizzly G0555 band saw and it works very well. They only issue is you have to make sure the wheels are both pointing the same way when you put it down to keep it level. I got a second one to put under my drill press, when I find a good deal on one.

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Universal-Mobile-Base/dp/B00002262M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1250875670&sr=8-1

Matt Meiser
08-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I got the base I mentioned "built" over the weekend. I think I'll be happy with it. It could definitely sag if you had a machine that put a lot of weight in the middle, but my edge sander has 4 rubber feet that put all the weight right out at the corners and they sit on the metal corners so that won't be an issue here. Also, it does have pretty low ground clearance, which is made worse by the bolts sticking through the bottom. I do think you could solve that by replacing the hardware with some T-Nuts and 3/4" long bolts. It won't be an issue in my shop. Functionally, it works great. Rolls easy, easy to lift or lock, etc. It does probably move around a little easier than some but I've got a relatively light (200lb) machine on it and it hasn't been an issue so far.

David Winer
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I got the base I mentioned "built" over the weekend. I think I'll be happy with it. It could definitely sag if you had a machine that put a lot of weight in the middle, but my edge sander has 4 rubber feet that put all the weight right out at the corners and they sit on the metal corners so that won't be an issue here. Also, it does have pretty low ground clearance, which is made worse by the bolts sticking through the bottom. I do think you could solve that by replacing the hardware with some T-Nuts and 3/4" long bolts. It won't be an issue in my shop. Functionally, it works great. Rolls easy, easy to lift or lock, etc. It does probably move around a little easier than some but I've got a relatively light (200lb) machine on it and it hasn't been an issue so far.
Matt, I liked your recommendation of the Woodcraft kit so much that I ordered a couple for my jointer and planer. I thought about the flimsiness of plywood holding up a heavy load. But my machines have their weight distributed all around the edges and should not affect the plywood span in the middle. No stress analysis here, but it seems that the load will distribute evenly around the edges, minimizing any distortion.