PDA

View Full Version : Delta 11-090 Radial Drill Press

Leigh Betsch
08-10-2009, 1:45 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 10-090 (or maybe it's a 11-090) radial drill press, 10 years old, un-used still in the box. Anyone have one, are they any good? I'm thinking about offering him $150, any thoughts? I don't really need it but if they are any good I might buy it anyway.
He's also got a 10 year old Delta 18" scroll say that he paid $780 new (I've seen the receipt) with less than an hour on it. Anyone know any thing about it? Sorry I don't recall the model number. I'm thinking about offering $300 but I don't have an overwhelming need for either tool. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these 2 items?

Curt Harms
08-10-2009, 6:26 PM
I'm not sure I'd buy it again. 5 speeds the lowest is around 550 RPM which is too fast for cutters like fly cutters and large forstner bits. No rack & pinion on table height or moving the head in and out. Raising and lowering the table is difficult without some mechanical help. I bought a small hydraulic jack after adding an auxilary table. There are complaints about the Delta radial arm not being rigid enough. If I were in the market for a lighter duty radial drill press I'd probably look at Grizzly's offering (http://grizzly.com/products/5-Speed-Bench-Top-Radial-Drill-Press/G7945).

If you're happy with the 500+RPM low speed and lack of rack and pinion adjusters and can get it for a good enough price the Delta drill press will work. I think I paid around $300 for mine. The radial arm feature seemed like a good idea, and I guess it is for certain specialized applications like chair making. The heavy duty radial arm drill presses get positive reviews but they run quite a bit more money, like $700 or more.

HTH

Curt

Frank Guerin
08-10-2009, 8:43 PM
I had a Delta. Can't remember what model. Way to much flex when exrended just a little. No crank on the table. Not low enough rpm. Thats all I can rember and wish I could forget that.

The one your looking at may be completely different.

Rick Potter
08-11-2009, 3:05 AM
I also HAD the Delta. As mentioned above, way too much flex in the arm. If you have a need for a really deep throat, it is a way to go, but if a normal drill press will do, get a normal drill press. I did.

Rick Potter

Leigh Betsch
08-11-2009, 8:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I passed on the drill press and the scroll saw. I already have 3 drill presses of various styles, a band saw but no scroll saw. He wouldn't budge on his prices, $200 for the drill press and $500 for the scroll saw so I passed on both. He's just started to try to sell these so I suspect in a month or so he will be a bit more reasonable. I'll give him about a month and take another run at the scroll saw but based on your comments I'll pass on the drill press.