PDA

View Full Version : cedar closet lining

Michael Schwartz
08-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I am about to install a cedar closet lining for a client, but there are a few last minute concerns they brought up I need to address. The two concerns brought up were that any clothing touching the cedar might become stained, and that it could pick up the smell.

The client wanted cedar both for the aromatic qualities as well as the appearance. If the cedar can in-fact stain or damage clothing I will likely put a clear finish over top of it to seal it, and then hang a bag of shavings in the closet to achieve the aroma. I have also never finished ceader so any suggestions of a finish to use if I went that rout would be welcome as well. I am aware that finishing the ceader would seal in the aroma, but the client is concerned about damage.

any answers would be greatly appreciated.

David Christopher
08-10-2009, 1:15 PM
Michael, I have had cedar in my closet for years with no problems. Ieven have a cedar shelf that white t-shirts lay on......no staining......the clothes will pick up the smell when the cedar is first installed but it will fade quickly........and if you leave something in there for a really long time ( blankets, quilts ) it will pick up the smell

Lee Schierer
08-10-2009, 1:34 PM
My wife has had a cedar chest for many years (more than 25) and she has never had any staining of anything and everything in the chest touches the wood. The odor will be in the clothes for a short while when they are removed, but it isn't like the mothball smell so most people don't mind the slight lingering odor. In any event it doesn't seem to last very long (we're talking minutes not hours or days).

Howard Acheson
08-10-2009, 3:21 PM
If you decide to finish over the cedar, keep a couple of things in mind. First, oil based finishes and aromatic cedar do not get along. The oils in the cedar will prevent the oil based finish from drying and curing. Second, oil based finishes take almost forever to cure and they off-gas all the time they are curing. The odor will permeate any clothing left in the closet so don't consider oil based finish anywhere in the closet.

The best finish for cedar is shellac if you feel any finish is need at all.

One of they primary reasons for an aromatic cedar closet was its odor and its supposed ability to kill and keep out moths. New research I saw recently said that cedar has no affect on moths. But the cedar still smells good.

Maurice Ungaro
08-10-2009, 4:57 PM
Finishing the cedar with a surface treatment (shelac, etc.) kind of does away with the purpose of the cedar. That is, the aroma that keeps bugs at bay.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-10-2009, 7:20 PM
I've installed many a cedar closet....we have two blanket chests in the house right now. Never have I heard of cedar staining clothes....virtually impossible unless sap oozes out.

Rick Moyer
08-10-2009, 9:53 PM
Sealing aromatic cedar would be like painting over highly figured wood.
I don't know about keeping out bugs and moths, maybe it will draw in hamsters!:D

John Morrison60
08-10-2009, 10:12 PM
The appropriate finish for a cedar closet is no finish.
I have never heard of any staining coming out of the wood.
Otherwise, the odor which is what keeps the insects away, is eliminated.
After several years the aroma of the cedar lessens.
A light sanding can normally bring it back.

Good luck
John