PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2009, 8:56 AM
10 Aug 2009

Good Morning,
It's been a long and hard week for me. The day job is growing in work, diminishing in people, and thus the days are getting longer. Don't get me wrong, I really like doing what I do, I just hate the corporate politics that go along with it.

Been working steadily on the wedding gift / Cupcake stands for our dear friend. The lesson that I'm learning on this is that I don't like learning how to work with veneer on a short timeline. Flattening veneer has been a challenge for me on some white dyed Birdseye Maple that I had in the shop for several years. What a fiasco this has been.

Anyway, I have parts in the vacuum press, I'm learning some rather hard lessons along the way and I have to have everything veneered and assembled by tomorrow night in order to have the finish dry enough for the wedding this Saturday.!!!! This could be a long and sleepless night tonight, but I sure pray not.

No time for movie or anything else for me this past week or weekend and it's back at the wood project for me.

So what did YOU do over the weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jerome Hanby
08-10-2009, 9:08 AM
Actually got back to the Lathe Stand I'm building for my wife's new Jet lathe (well it was new last Christmas). Actually cut some of the joinery!

Dave Wagner
08-10-2009, 9:23 AM
Worked on a Sword cabinet for my mother-in-law for a display of a Japanese sword. I got the sides, back and brackets all assembled and stained. Just have to make the hinged face frame for the glass.

Also, removed the last 2 railings from the front porch, all 7 railings are removed, decking is 1/2 done, and starting to assemble the new railings that I have machined a little while ago... A lot of work to match what was there! :) (Pics to follow).

Mike Cutler
08-10-2009, 9:34 AM
Helped move 22 tons of hay saturday, boy did the beer taste good after that.:D

On Sunday we drove to Central Maine to pick up a new puppy, actually a one yr.old female Vizsla. Not quite a puppy anymore, but not an adult either. Her name will be Gunnr, after the female Valkyrie. She's a rock and rollin' ball of fire, and she's gonna be a show stopper.

John Thompson
08-10-2009, 9:38 AM
Hand cutting and honing joints.. templates for back-splash and arched strechers.. buttons.. drawer handles.. corbels for a fish tank table I started last Monday. Hope to make it to sanding today with the beginning of finish tomorrow which takes the majority of time..

Joe Mioux
08-10-2009, 9:59 AM
started building a tool cabinet for planes, chisels, small jigs, measuring devices, etc. I got the carcass and shelves done. Dovetailed the frame and pocket screwed the back and two shelves.

Now for a door and dividers for all the various items. The dividers and holders is the hard part of this project. I am using just scraps a Birch plywood and poplar for this little project.

Actually, it is a good practice session for getting back into the swing of things on the flat side of woodworking.

joe

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Saturday I layed 1/2 of a wall of field tile and a row of mosiac in the tub shower surround I'm tiling. Sharon and I went to HD and bought a new Honda lawn mower.

Sunday I tiled the remaining 1/2 wall with field tile, tiled the lower part of the window and mowed and trimmed the lawn

Now just have to put up the outer trim tile, apply grout and then a new shower door.

Matt Meiser
08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Friday night LOML and I took LOMLjr to the monster truck show at the county fair. I took her 2 years ago because LOML was out of town our power went out so we needed to find something to do. She loved it and now when the fair gets close she starts getting excited about going again. Saturday worked on household chores then visited family. Sunday breakfast with family, then a trip to pick up some old bricks to use for a landscape project when things cool down. Then I finally got started on construction of my parents' kitchen.

Cary Falk
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
After a month of weekends I finished painting the house.

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
After a month of weekends I finished painting the house.

That's about how fast I paint the house too Cary.!! :D

Dan Gill
08-10-2009, 2:32 PM
Worked on a special commission cutting board that is too wide for my planer. Laminated in two sections, put the sections together and started sanding. Next is cutting the curved ends, and routing a 1-in wide blood groove.

Cary Falk
08-10-2009, 3:49 PM
That's about how fast I paint the house too Cary.!! :D

I don't feel so bad now.:D