PDA

View Full Version : Bowl from Unknown Type of Wood

Dick Parr
09-07-2004, 9:18 AM
I have another bowl turned from some more mystery wood from another camping trip firewood pile. I have no idea what type of wood this is (elm maybe)? :confused: All I know is the pictures don't do the grain and spalting justice. It is 5-1/2" x 2-3/4", sanded to 600 grit, sanding sealer and beall buffed.

Thanks for looking.

Carole Valentine
09-07-2004, 9:33 AM
Only wood I can afford any more is stuff from the firewood pile, and if it's going to turn out looking like that, I may have a gold mine! Nice work. Can't help with the species though.

Chris Padilla
09-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Dick,

That is beautiful...very, very nice job. Now if only we could identify the wood! :D

Michael Stafford
09-07-2004, 1:25 PM
Undoubtably one of my favorite species for turning 'Lignum foundus' commonly known as found wood.

Jim Becker
09-07-2004, 1:31 PM
If it smelled like something the dog left behind while you were turning it, it could be elm. Otherwise, it's just "beauty wood"... :D Nice job!

Bob Flemming
09-07-2004, 2:02 PM
That is a beautiful piece. I'm not a turner but when I see things like that I start to develope an interest

Jack Diemer
09-07-2004, 2:53 PM
WOW.

Makes me want to learn how to turn a bowl even more.

Greg Heppeard
09-07-2004, 4:56 PM
I actually have some old American walnut that has been laying around for about 40+ years that looks like that...spalted and all.

Jim Ketron
09-07-2004, 5:12 PM
Great looking bowl Dick!!

Jim

Dick Parr
09-07-2004, 5:30 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

This wood had no unusual odor when I turned it that I can remember, unlike the sanding sealer :eek: and I do like the "Lignum foundus" and will have to remember it. :D

This piece of wood started out 18" x 9" x 3-1/2" and by the time I cut all the bad stuff out I had this piece and a piece 9" x 9" x 3-1/2" left over. I went out today to turn the big piece and it is split and checked all over. Before I cut these pieces up it had been sitting on a shelf for about 3 months unsealed as I got it. The tree was cut down about 3 years ago. I cut the big piece up yesterday. It sure must of had a lot of stress in the wood. :confused:

Guess I'll have to find something else. :D

John Miliunas
09-08-2004, 9:59 PM
Dick, that is absotiverly, posoluterly, one of the most gorgeous pieces of wood I've ever seen! :D It's just so natural and inviting! You did a wonderful job on it! The one area on the inside almost looks like some type of vortex! Simply beautimus! :) More! Need MORE! :cool: