PDA

View Full Version : I promise I will never grouse again about my wife

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2009, 12:46 AM
buying something on sale to save me some money when I really didn't want what she bought in the first place.

Well.....they wanted $1,000 to put a solid surface counter top on the vanity in our main bathroom. I said I could tile it cheaper than that and I did.

But it caused me to have to replace the sink as the original wouldn't fit after the backsplash moved out 3/8" from tiling and I replaced it with a porcelain one that I could cut with my tile saw and make it fit. Trouble was it was NOT the same color as the tub and toilet.

It is now! And my billfold is $3,000 lighter!

So I guess you could say I spent $3,000 to save $1,000. I can't afford to save any more money for a while!:rolleyes::o

Rod Sheridan
08-10-2009, 9:11 AM
Ken, posting that you spent $3,000 dollars to save $1,000 on this forum, is like going to an AA meeting and stating you have a drinking problem.:D

regards, Rod.

David Christopher
08-10-2009, 9:22 AM
Ken, I think we all have done that more times than we would like to admit

Brian Effinger
08-10-2009, 9:52 AM
Ken, posting that you spent $3,000 dollars to save $1,000 on this forum, is like going to an AA meeting and stating you have a drinking problem.:D

regards, Rod.

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! :D :D :D That is freaking hilarious... and true!

Ken, I think we have all done something like that. You just take it to the extreme.

Phyllis Meyer
08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm so prould of you Ken, proud that you have admitted this out loud:D! I will be showing this to my husband of course!

Phyllis:)

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Yea Ken...you did real good on saving that $1K....but the LOYL will be SO PLEASED with the new shower/toilet setup to match the new sink. You sly dawg you!!!! Excellent planning. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Yea Ken...you did real good on saving that $1K....but the LOYL will be SO PLEASED with the new shower/toilet setup to match the new sink. You sly dawg you!!!! Excellent planning. :D

Yeah...even if it was by accident!:rolleyes:

Ben Galluzzo
08-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, maybe you can demonstrate ROI by describing the quality of material, workmanship, and the longevity of that work over a period of time. Who knows. It could be possible that you actually saved quite a bit of money.

Maybe? ....possibly? :)

Steve knight
08-10-2009, 3:04 PM
its even higher then that if you include labor. I am finding sometimes spending money costs less in the long run.

Eric Larsen
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
So I guess you could say I spent $3,000 to save $1,000. I can't afford to save any more money for a while!:rolleyes::o

Ken, seriously, you have to look at the total amount you have saved as a DIY'er.

If you picked 10 stocks that performed GREAT, and one dog that lost a minor amount of money, you wouldn't complain about your average, right?

EDIT -- But I would have talked my wife into upgrading from engineered "solid-surface" to granite (or tried to, at least). It would have cost more (than your tile job) but granite countertops are money well spent, IMO.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Is anything wrong with that?:confused::confused: I thought things always work out like that.:eek: Is there a problem?