PDA

View Full Version : 2x4 contest

Richard Allen
09-07-2004, 6:52 AM
Hi

The Capitol Area Woodturners club I belong to is having a 2x4 contest. I don't much care for turning 2x4 as it doesn't have much strength, turns poorly, moves a LOT. 2x4s glue well and sanding is usually effective. The knots are plentiful and they don't hold much interest, though the wood next to a knot can often exhibit some chatoyance.

This table is a collaboration with another member of the club. I used the collaboration as an excuse to use two 2x4s.

I like wearing Hawaiian shirts which is where I got my inspiration for the coloring. the design of the table was a collaboration that was partly limited by the size of my friends 1018 lathe.

The table is 20" across and 26" tall.

Thanks for looking

Richard

Stewart Crick
09-07-2004, 8:39 AM
Well done Richard! I look forward to seeing it "Live" on Saturday. Say, I've been meaning to ask you, do they make Hawaiian shirts for the winter season?!?!?!??! :D

Stu

Richard Allen
09-07-2004, 1:44 PM
Hi Stu

Of course there are winter Hawaiian shirts. I have two "Christmas" Hawaiian shirts. I will almost certinaly wear one of those to the Woodturners Ball in December.

The project was a lot of fun. Paul and I are looking forward to coments on Saturday. I wonder what other, 2x4 spawned, creations will be displayed.

Thanks

Richard