PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Screwguns

C Scott McDonald
08-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey folks,

I have a ton of dry walling to do on my never ending money pit of a town home. I was over at Lowes and they had two different Dewalt screw guns for dry walling. One goes up to 4000 rpm and they other goes to 6000 rpm there is only like ten dollars difference. Do I need one that goes 6k? Seems kind of fast for dry wall work. Never used one.

Thanks,
Scott

Mitchell Andrus
08-10-2009, 8:22 AM
Can you rent one?

Rich Engelhardt
08-10-2009, 8:28 AM
Hello,

The "fast" one is for screwing into wood studs only.

The "slower" one is for either wood or metal studs.

K. L. McReynolds
08-10-2009, 9:43 PM
There is a rather steep learning curve to using a screwshooter. I have one(a Milwaukee model) and used to do a lot of drywalling on Saturdays(HfH houses---we used to build 20 a year). It would take me about fifteen minutes each Sat. morning to get the mechanics again.(And I am quite adept at hand/eye coordination)

Teaching volunteers to use one was a monumental waste of time.

We instead issued cordless drills(DeWalt and Bosch) and $5 dimplers(at checkout counters of Home Depot/Lowe's).

Those were actually faster for now and then users. My poor Milwaukee is buried in the depths of my sheet rock installing tool box.;)

David Freed
08-13-2009, 6:29 AM
I bought one when I built my house years ago. It took 4 or 5 screws to get the depth set right and then it was just point and shoot whenever I used it. I used it a few years after I built my house and it was still set right. Just point and shoot. I think it is a Dewalt, but I would have to look.

Alan Trout
08-13-2009, 8:16 AM
I have the more expensive Dewalt unit that I used to hang sheetrock in my entire house. Like David said after about 5 screws getting the depth set right it was a piece of cake. If you have a lot of hanging to do $90 is pretty cheap in the long run.

Good Luck

Alan