PDA

View Full Version : The Saw inventor.

Dino Makropoulos
08-09-2009, 8:39 PM
Interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talos_%28inventor%29

Angie Orfanedes
08-09-2009, 9:53 PM
I have told my friends many times that the Greeks invented everything:D.

Jacob Reverb
08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Yabbut some Shaker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbit) invented the circular saw.

Dino Makropoulos
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Yasou Angie.

Egyptians, Arabs and Chinese invented the paper, numbers and black powder that destroyed Constantinoupolis with the help of another
inventor/engineer from North Europe who invented a bigger and better canon.
Funny thing is that they never thought that a "non Greek" can invent something better. :rolleyes:

The Inventor of the super canon offered his canon to the Greeks before
he sold it to the Turks. :eek:

Two lessons to be learned here.
A. Nature and need is the master inventor.
(Nature knew what teeth the snake needs )
B. Why the Greeks don't kill the inventor...just in case?:confused:

The Human History is a history of inventions by all of us.
Now, Anyone haves some good pictures of snakes teeth?

Stephen Tashiro
08-11-2009, 2:09 AM
When were modern guards first required on (hand held ) circular saws? I have seen photographs of job sites in the 1940's that show what appears to be a motor with a saw blade on it and no guard at all. I don't know if that was a hand held tool or a stationary one.

Dino Makropoulos
08-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Amazing.
I like to see a new sticky thread with the history of woodworking and tool inventions.

I learned something new today.
The circular saw invented by a lady? :eek:
thanks Jacob.

Caspar Hauser
08-12-2009, 4:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_saw

'Various claims have been made as to who invented the circular saw:

A common claim is for a little known sailmaker named Samuel Miller of Southampton, England who obtained a patent in 1777 for a saw windmill. However the specification for this only mentions the form of the saw incidentally, probably indicating that it was not his invention.

Walter Taylor of Southampton had the blockmaking contract for Portsmouth Dockyard. In about 1762 he built a saw mill where he roughed out the blocks. This was replaced by another mill in 1781. Descriptions of his machinery there in the 1790s show that he had circular saws. Taylor patented two other improvements to blockmaking but not the circular saw. This suggests either that he did not invent it or that he published his invention without patenting it (which would mean it was no longer patentable).

Another claim is that it originated in Holland in the sixteenth or seventeenth century. This may be correct, but nothing more precise is known.

The use of a large circular saw in a saw mill is said to have been invented in 1813 by Tabitha Babbit, a Shaker spinster, who sought to ease the labour of the male sawyers in her community.'

John Shuk
08-12-2009, 3:30 PM
I have told my friends many times that the Greeks invented everything:D.

Almost everything........ they missed humility!:o

Dino Makropoulos
08-12-2009, 6:16 PM
Almost everything........ they missed humility!:o

John,
I'm sure Angie was making a joke.
You missed the humor. (:D)

If Jesus was the epiphany of humility...
We can thank Socrates and many others... Greeks and non Greeks.

I do like your signature.
Do you come up with it? ;)

A small tribute to a good friend.
I was in the sawmill business for few years. ( Urban and recycle wood stuff)
My plan manager was Jerald Fitzgerald.
One of the best (if not the best) minds that I had the luck to meet and work with.
He was able to take the most dangerous tool apart and make it the safest
and with additional capabilities.

Imagine throwing 10" long pieces 2"-3" and 4" thick ( Random width) into a 36" conveyor
and receive 1/2" strips at the other end of the gang rip saw without any problems and at the rate of 2000 BF per hour.
The min. length capacity (before Gerold's inventions) was 24"

Imagine the cost and liability of a dust collection system for a 50.000 sq. feet factory with 20 industrial machines.
The total cost was only $15.000.00 and when the dust collection manufacturer visited our factory to take few pictures,
he was amazed by Jerold's inventions and asked me for his number.

Jerold moved to Louisiana and later invented a simple mixing bag for concrete.
I helped him to produce videos and the initial cost of manufacturing, patent and the rest.
I visited few places and demoed his "Magic mixing Bag" on hardware stores, fencing stores and few other places.
To make the story short, I learned how to think "simple" and the meaning of humility by J.

Now, I have to find him.
Thanks to this thread.

Don't cry.