PDA

View Full Version : Festool & Systainers-Revisited

John Miliunas
09-06-2004, 11:22 PM
This is NOT intended to drudge up old discussion regarding the Systainer inserts. Rather, to bring up again the need or value of them. Over the course of the last several weeks, I've been primarily involved with home repair/remodel type of work, with just a short "intermission" to make a picture frame I had promised my daughter. This afternoon, I finally had had enough and decided it's time to see what the top of my main assembly bench looks like! Here's where the Systainer debate comes in. :rolleyes:

I had previously said that the Systainers were one of the few OEM carrying cases that I really like and use. I'm starting to doubt my very own words! :o As I was uncovering all kinds of stuff from the table (I think I may have even found a piece of that pizza Mark S. is always looking for! :eek: ), I couldn't help but note that, ALL 5 pieces of Festool equipment was out, one of which was still attached to the vac! :eek: I had even "insisted" on using *ALL* of the power cords, rather than just switching it from one tool to the next. (Yeah, I know...What a maroon!) So, what in the heck do I need the Systainers for?! :confused: Because, when a particular piece isn't in use, that's the best place for the tool, that's why! I dutifully placed 4 of the 5 machines back in their proper nesting places and did a bit more picking up. (The 5, the cordless drill, NEVER goes back in the Systainer! That thing may have to be surgically removed from my mitt!)

I just doesn't fail to amaze me that, in most every project I do, from rough carpentry to (almost) fine WW, the Festool pieces have become an important part of the process. It used to be, "Ah, that's good enough." Now it's more like, "Hey, I can cut that out with the Trion in just a minute. No biggie!" In a nutshell, I'm willing to take on more and do it better than I ever could before! That just feels good!!! :D Oh, and before the rest of you Festoolies jump on clamoring for my drill Systainer, I STILL store my eccentric and right angle chucks in there, so don't even think about it! And for some others, the whole "Systainer" part of this thread is purely with tongue planted firmly in cheek!!! :cool:

Mark Singer
09-07-2004, 1:00 AM
John,
We all get used to different organizational methods. I have storage compartments below my long tables and CMS station. My power tools each sleep there until I need them. I have 2 pieces of Festool and what does seem great is how the sustainers attach and take very little floor space...but I am still not sure what I will end up doing in time...the pizza ...well I found it and it was still pretty good!

Frank Pellow
09-07-2004, 7:16 AM
GRRRRRRRR!!!! :mad: Dropped the "L" in the topic line and can't edit it! :mad:

Send a note to Aaron asking him to change the title. I understand from a thread in the Support forum that he can do so.

I already did it Frank -- Ken

Tyler Howell
09-07-2004, 9:45 AM
As a new Tool Snob I can finally comment on this engineering marvel. I actually asked Uncle Bob if I could cut costs by fore going the Systainer. I am very pleased with the nesting features, use the system and saving my pennies for more.
Have to agree with the Cheesy guts of the thing. we'll see how it holds up.
Tool Snobs Forever;)

Chris Padilla
09-07-2004, 12:59 PM
John,

I agree...as I'm working on the garage I notice tools start piling up EVERYWHERE and that I can't find what I need even if it is sitting right in front of me: it gets camouflaged by the tools it is next tool or piled on! :D

Sometimes I just need to stop and put everything away and that is usually when I find what I am looking for. It is often the fastest way. That right-angle neck for my Festool drill has been invaluable for drilling holes in studs. God, I love this equipment! :D

John Miliunas
09-07-2004, 1:11 PM
Send a note to Aaron asking him to change the title. I understand from a thread in the Support forum that he can do so.

I already did it Frank -- Ken

THANKS KEN!!! :D You DA MAN! :cool: