PDA

View Full Version : pepper mill mech. ???

John Nowack
08-09-2009, 5:30 PM
hey all, have not been on in a long time do to a promotion that feels more like indentured servant work with as many hours as I have to put in to keep up----getting close to x-mas and a few weddings coming up--so it is that time of year to turn this new found hobby into a second job while I try to get everything done---OK that's my rant

here's my question

turned a few pepper mills using the off center tutorial posted on here---well, I have twelve 10" mechanisms from craft supplies but I turned close to 14" pepper mills

Can I buy just the 14" rod anywhere that match's the thread on the craft supply's insert or even the square rod and I think my neighbor has a tap/die set

thanks as usual

Bob Hallowell
08-09-2009, 6:41 PM
Yes you can buy the rods striaght from http://www.chefspecialties.com/. I only buy 12" and 14" kits and cut them to size.

Bob

John Nowack
08-09-2009, 6:53 PM
thanks bob actualy using your tutorial again---am I not looking in the right place or do you have to buy all the "guts"---I just want the shaft part

thanks again

Brian George
08-09-2009, 9:37 PM
You only have to buy the parts you need from chef supplies. Their shafts are easy to cut to length using a band saw or hack saw. Put the pepper mill together with the longer shaft in place. Also, screw the knob onto the top of the shaft, holding the grind mechanism in, measure the amount you need to cut off. I do that by uSING A CARPENTERS RULE WITH A BRASS 6 INCH EXTENSION SO THE END CAN MARK THE SPOT TO MAKE MY CUT. Take it apart and cut the shaft to length and reassemble. Voila...

Brian George
08-09-2009, 9:38 PM
Just remember to tap the unthreaded end with a hammer to indent the corners so they catch on the grind mechanism.

John Nowack
08-09-2009, 9:49 PM
I will try calling them---can't find a search opn there sight that brings up just the shaft

Bob Hallowell
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Yep as said you can buy parts only, just call. Made in a small town Smethport, Pa. I have made a few mills latey as I am doning a show next weekend.

Bob