PDA

View Full Version : Some more HF's Critique please.

Steve Frederick
08-09-2009, 5:25 PM
I got a little more practice in this week. I finished up some forms that I had roughed out a couple of months ago. The first is Box Elder, about 8" by 5" high. Finish is wipe-on poly, Beale Buffed.
The second is Cottonwood, I think. About 7" by 5", also Poly/Buffed. I'm not sure I like the shape..:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2009, 9:57 PM
Nothing to critique Steve. Very nice looking HF's. Finish looks good.

curtis rosche
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
nice color. how thick is it

Richard Madison
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Steve,
They both look pretty good from here. The first one becomes flat or straight from the shoulder to the rim, and I think most folks would suggest that it be a smooth, continuous curvature. I like the second one (space capsule form), but again the usual "bag of sand" form benefits from a smooth, continuous curvature without any straight places. Granted that a very gentle, smooth, continuous curvature with no flat spots can be remarkably difficult to achieve.

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Steve - form is always a matter of personal taste but Richard did bring up a good point of always working towards continuous curves

I like both of these - especially the first one as I love southwestern style forms. Love the way the coloration of the wood actually seems to paint a desert mountain scene - so very fitting!

Your second form - sort of a bag of sand form - is very interesting and sure to grab attention. I do like the natural edge opening on it!

About the only suggestion I can offer is to add a little light to your photos or increase the exposure time as the photos appear a little dark. Course - that could just be my monitor!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Richard Madison
08-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Steve,
Not your monitor. If Steve F. could add or reflect a little more light toward the lower front of the work it would be helpful. Working on same problem with own photos.

Bill Bolen
08-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Nice pieces! I'm attracted to the very unique one in the first photo. Well done...Bill...

alex carey
08-10-2009, 4:51 AM
Love them both, the only critique I would say is that the bottom of the first one is a tad too big.

Steve Frederick
08-10-2009, 7:26 AM
Steve,
Not your monitor. If Steve F. could add or reflect a little more light toward the lower front of the work it would be helpful. Working on same problem with own photos.
Good point!
I've been fiddling with my light box..I just can't seem to get the white balance right.

Jarrod McGehee
08-12-2009, 2:10 AM
I like the SW form but not so much the "bag of sand" form. nice work though