PDA

View Full Version : Pardon my ingorance

Rick Potter
08-09-2009, 4:22 PM
I have always used poly or lacquer on my projects, so my experience with other thinners is nil. Can someone tell me what the following are best used for?

Alcohol.......I know it is used for shellac, but does it have any other uses?

Naptha?

Acetone?

I have always used lacquer thinner to clean parts, and the spray gun as well as thinning lacquer. Any other uses?

Any other ones I need to know about?

Thanks,
Rick Potter

PS: I had a bad experience with water based finishes years ago and have never used one since. If I try it again, which one do you recommend?

Leo Graywacz
08-09-2009, 4:33 PM
PS: I had a bad experience with water based finishes years ago and have never used one since. If I try it again, which one do you recommend?

I have had good luck using Target products (http://www.targetcoatings.com/matrix-bottom.html) when called for a waterborne finish. But my norm for spraying is still solvent borne. Still the most durable. If you are using waterborne go with a Urethane.

John Daugherty
08-09-2009, 4:33 PM
I've had good results from target waterborne finishes (ultima spray lacquer).

Neal Clayton
08-10-2009, 2:56 AM
I have always used poly or lacquer on my projects, so my experience with other thinners is nil. Can someone tell me what the following are best used for?

Alcohol.......I know it is used for shellac, but does it have any other uses?

to give a finished look to something right after you get done sanding it to see if you missed any spots that need cleaned up more. since it evaporates in minutes it won't have to be wiped off or cleaned out.

Naptha?

Acetone?

nothing that alcohol couldn't do, that i know of.

Tom Veatch
08-10-2009, 4:32 AM
nothing that alcohol couldn't do, that i know of.

I've found acetone to be pretty good for cleaning up after epoxy smears/drips prior to curing and for cleaning metal parts prior to epoxy bonding. Never tried alcohol or naptha for either so don't know if it would be useful in that application or not.

Rob Cunningham
08-10-2009, 8:23 AM
I'm very happy with Target Coatings for WB finishes. The EM6000 is a very easy finish to spray.
I use alcohol for making shellac from flakes and also mixing TransTint dies (50/50 DNA/distilled water). Also, after I wash out my spray gun, I run a little alcohol through it to dry out the water.
Acetone, I use to clean off any dried WB residue from the air cap and nozzle of my spray gun.

Jerome Hanby
08-10-2009, 8:49 AM
I use Naptha to wipe down MDF just before I put shellac on it. Just for something a little wet to wipe that cake flour dust off that will evaporate quickly.

Leo Graywacz
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
If you glue yourself to yourself with super glue acetone will release you :D

Howard Acheson
08-10-2009, 3:40 PM
>> Alcohol.......I know it is used for shellac, but does it have any other uses?

Alcohol, like naphtha and mineral spirits is a thinner and degreaser. It's a thinner/solvent for shellac and can be used to preview the wood color before finishing. Wipe on a heavy coat and it will show how the wood will look when finished with a clear finish. It will also highlight any glue blobs or other sanding mistakes. It evaporated quickly so you can get to finish faster

>> Naptha

Naphtha is a thinner and degreaser. It's a thinner for oil based finishes like varnish and poly varnish. It evaporates faster than mineral spirits the finish will become tack free slightly faster. Like alcohol, it too can be used to preview the wood.

>> Acetone?

Acetone is a solvent and cleaner for many things. It's used in wood fillers. It will dissolve many finishes and remove adhesive residue and soften some adhesives. It will clean up non-harded epoxy and polyester resin.

>> I have always used lacquer thinner to clean parts, and the spray gun as well as thinning lacquer. Any other uses?

Depending what the parts are "dirty" with, any of the above solvents/thinners can be used. Some things respond better to one than another. I have all of them in my shop.