PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hot rod ideas

Mike Christen
08-09-2009, 2:16 PM
Hello all

Have a hot rod show coming up and I will be setting up a booth. Looking for some ideas or vector clipart to make a few items.

Any thoughts on some items I may be able to display that may interest this group of people would be appreciated.

Dan Hintz
08-09-2009, 2:17 PM
Flames, skulls, tribal art... that covers a wide range of what people want for graphics. As for the items to put them on, well, you're on your own for that one.

Robert Alexander
08-10-2009, 6:28 PM
Hello all

Have a hot rod show coming up and I will be setting up a booth. Looking for some ideas or vector clipart to make a few items.

Any thoughts on some items I may be able to display that may interest this group of people would be appreciated.

Mike, get a piece of wood veneer glue it to some 1/8" plywood, then get a tachometer and fuel gauges from your local auto parts store and cut out the plywood veneer to make a dashboard. With a little creativity you can make a nice custom dashboard that the hot rod people will go nuts for.:cool:

Phil Salvati
08-10-2009, 8:08 PM
Mike,

Go buy a few air cleaner covers, painted, anno, and chrome..... etch a few with car names, logos etc. The hot rod guys love'm around here.

You can get a few cheap hurst type shift handles at napa too Wood and chrome.....

A few sayings etched in stufff like...."Get in, Buckle up, Hold on & Shut up! Nitrous.... It's not just for Dentists! I got this 57 Chevy for my wife....It was the best damn trade I ever made! I drove my car to trailer week! There are hundreds of them!

Lots of guys like to have mirrors under their cars.... Get a few lucite ones and engrave a few.

Making color "washers" aka escutcheon plates, that raise gauges out from the dash with sayings reverse etched..... If it's in the red we're dead. Only hit this red button if we are losing! etc.

That's just off the top of my head!

Mike Christen
08-10-2009, 9:20 PM
Great ideas, thanks a lot for your ideas. I will post what i come up with and how it goes.

Thanks Again

Ray Uebner
08-11-2009, 3:03 PM
Hi
I sold these like hot cakes. People with these kind of cars love them they look nicer that paper.

Mike Christen
08-11-2009, 9:06 PM
Great idea Ray, what did u make them out of. I have some wood blind slats that may be perfect for that.

Thanks

Steven Wallace
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
That would look great as an LED edge lit sign too. 12vdc

Ray Uebner
08-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I used 1/8 Baltic Burch Plywood. If you go to the Scroll Shop on Sawmill they have a program that allows you to make the pattern with any saying you want. I added the stand due to the wood not being thick enough to support it self. I also did not get the tips centered so the base and sign only fit one way. I was trying to get them done for the Hot August Nights in Reno so will have to rework it latter. I sprayed they with clear lacquer and did not glue them so that they could be stored easy. Yes you could do it in plastic or anything else.

Andy Joe
08-13-2009, 4:51 PM
all of the felt and fiber glass they put in those show cars need 3d templates underneath them. i cut out hot road flames for some truck doors this guy wanted. Cut them out of hardboard, took me 5 mins to do, charged them a undisclosed price(i made more then what i needed) they glued them to the wood backing and stretch the felt down on top of it to produce the raised flames on the door. Also i have etched window tint to make cool effects and stencils for air brush and paint masking

Brian Knuckles
08-18-2009, 5:00 PM
Hey Mike,

Here is an idea...its vector glass i bought from lasertile.com. Its a clearance item so I called them & got a great deal..i bought a 20 boxes of vector glass. Great for awards & all stuff...I burn all the way through the backing & color fill with rub-n-buff or just spray paint

Here is some of my work

http://www.bearstats.com/SALEM_TROPHY/IMG00053-20090818-1102.jpg

http://www.bearstats.com/SALEM_TROPHY/img00411.jpg

http://www.bearstats.com/SALEM_TROPHY/LaserGlass.JPG

Nigel Morgan
08-20-2009, 9:14 PM
Hello,

I have version 12.0, but can't open this file, any ideas?

Scott Erwin
08-20-2009, 9:18 PM
Hello,

I have version 12.0, but can't open this file, any ideas?

Here it is in v10...
Should be able to open it in that version..

Nigel Morgan
08-20-2009, 9:25 PM
Many thanks, that worked

Bob Savage
08-21-2009, 2:20 PM
First things first with my first post on the forum: This place is absolutely awesome. You people giving advice are top notch individuals. I've been lurking since the weekend, because I'm an IT professional who's being outsource later this year, and I'm looking for a change. Laser engraving/cutting has peaked my interest.

In any event, I do have a question, related to intelectual property/trademarks. Where would I find information on the legalities of cutting symbols, such as the Harley and Ball team logos above? I've not looked into this, but a machinist friend of mine said that Harley goes after everybody that they find reproducing their logos.

Thanks...

Dan Hintz
08-21-2009, 2:44 PM
That's an easy one to answer... if you recognize the symbol, you can bet your sweet bippy it's trademarked and/or copyrighted. You have zero rights to reproduce it in any form/fashion until you secure proper permission from the rightful owner.

Bob Savage
08-21-2009, 2:47 PM
That's an easy one to answer... if you recognize the symbol, you can bet your sweet bippy it's trademarked and/or copyrighted. You have zero rights to reproduce it in any form/fashion until you secure proper permission from the rightful owner.

As I suspected, thanks Dan.